Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two costumes finished
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Finished Garments - PublicMessage format

Welmoed
Posted 2013-08-06 8:30 AM (#86105)
Subject: Two costumes finished

Elite Veteran

Two of the four costumes for this weekend's Otakon are done (well... 99% done... just some minor tweaks needed to the accessories). My son Ian (who went as Jafar last year) is going as Captain Hook from "Peter Pan." And my husband Bob will be going, for the first time, as Qui Gon Jinn from "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace." It's his first time ever doing cosplay!
The patterns for these two were done with Tailor Made. For Ian's costume, I drafted the coat by using the peplum shirt and modifying it in PE. For Bob's costume, the outer dark brown robe started as a kimono draft jacket, which was then modified in PE to create the drop sleeve ends and added flare. The two inner shirts are double-breasted without a closure; they are held in place by the wide obi/belt/tabard that is simply a series of rectangles. Poor Bob will be wearing four layers!
Today I'm finishing up my own costume (Ursula) and Diana's costume (Queen of Hearts), and hope to get pictures up by tomorrow.
--Welmoed

(CaptainHook1.jpg)

(QuiGonDone1.jpg)

(QuiGonDone3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CaptainHook1.jpg (57KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments QuiGonDone1.jpg (63KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments QuiGonDone3.jpg (49KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cfonfold
Posted 2013-08-06 9:45 AM (#86108 - in reply to #86105)
Subject: RE: Two costumes finished

Expert

Welmoed these are great! You guys must have so much fun at these gatherings. Does the family join in ,in the making of the clothes? They're really impressive. How early do you begin?

Coopie

Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2013-08-06 9:56 AM (#86109 - in reply to #86105)
Subject: Re: Two costumes finished

Extreme Veteran

Just outstanding!
Welmoed
Posted 2013-08-06 10:28 AM (#86110 - in reply to #86105)
Subject: Re: Two costumes finished

Elite Veteran

Coopie, this is the first year that all four of us are going. Three years ago it was just Diana; then it was Diana and me, and last year Ian came along. As for planning, we generally start thinking about the theme and ideas in early Spring. Designs are finalized late May/early June, and then there's this period of "mental sewing" where I figure out how to translate the designs into reality. We do a LOT of research on the web, looking for reference pictures and stills from the various movies to get greater insight about costume details. For example, I noticed in one still from The Phantom Menace that Qui Gon Jinn's robe didn't have an armscye seam, which is why I used the kimono draft.
Actual sewing started a bit late this year as the home inspection business has kept me quite busy. It didn't get underway in earnest until early July. The last week or so before the con is devoted to sewing; thank goodness Bob has been understanding about having to do all the scheduled inspections himself! Now I'm down to just a few details to iron out for Diana's costume and for mine, and I should (with any luck) be able to get those cranked out by the end of today. Thursday we will have a full "ress rehearsal" with makeup and everything and make any necessary tweaks (hopefully there won't be any needed!), and Friday morning is show time!
In prior years, the kids have gotten involved a little bit, but this year they are both helping a lot. Ian made his own sword and found the ostrich plume; Diana made her flamingo prop; Bob sourced his own boots and light saber. Diana has also been helping out in the sewing room, cleaning up after me and helping me stay on task.
--Welmoed
margie2
Posted 2013-08-06 10:28 AM (#86111 - in reply to #86105)
Subject: RE: Two costumes finished

Elite Veteran

Well done!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.