Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wardrobe Organization to the MAX with an App
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

KynaCreative
Posted 2013-06-15 10:55 AM (#85610)
Subject: Wardrobe Organization to the MAX with an App

Hi all,

I'm a lurker here and new to using PMB. My sewing machines have been mothballed for years while raising a son, homeschooling and taking care of an aging mother.
The palms are now itchy to get back to my favorite creative outlet: sewing!

I recently suffered the loss of almost my entire wardrobe so I'm beginning again from scratch.
I find this exercise rather fun and inspiring with the opportunity to avoid the wardrobe mistakes I've made in the past.
I commit to only have great basics that I love with additional pieces that add color, fun and interest. I lean more toward natural fabrics and I absolutely despise dry cleaning fluid.

While getting the equipment dusted off, oiled and juiced up and getting ready to do take my measurements I've been working on a new project - inventorying my clothing and coming up with new ways to mix up my wardrobe.

While working on this project, I lost my very, very fashionable mother and inherited an unbelievable accessory wardrobe -  an enviable collection of jewelry, scarves and handbags. The dilemma was how to organize these riches so I can see what I have.

This started with me taking pictures of different outfits hanging on the door. You know... this basic skirt and top with that sweater. Frankly, I was quite amazed at the outfits and color combinations I could come up with with only a couple of inexpensive dresses, some cardigan sweaters  and a couple of basic skirts pants and tops.
Then I discovered that there's an app for that!

After trying out a few, I settled on one flexible little app that is installed on my cell phone and tablet and laptop all for about $5.00 total.

The app I chose allows you take pictures of all the individual the components of your wardrobe categorized by type: shoes, bottoms, tops, dresses, accessories and bags. Then you add the name of the designer or manufacturer, color classification, season(s) and even classify purpose. You have the ability to add any information you'd like size, price, where you purchased the item.

You add items to one of either 3 places- closet (I have it), fitting room (I want it) or a storage bin (holding area while you get item ready to put into one of the other 2 places).

Once items are in your closet, there have a mix and match function so you can try out new combinations. Every outfit is saved and you have the ability to create and search "head to toe" looks. What I was doing with my cell phone camera on the door has now been taken to whole other level of functionality. The app also has a calendar so you can put your outfit on a particular day.

I love this tool for so many reasons:

• I can take pics while I'm out shopping
  • I can snag images while browsing online of inspirational or wanted items.
  • I have my entire wardrobe with me while shopping for fabric.
  • I have visibility to everything I own down to my earrings and leggings.
  • I know what I want/need and I shop with intention.
  • I find I am able to do more with less.
  • My sewing will become more strategic.

There was a bit of a learning curve understanding how to take good pictures of items and getting lighting right. I don't own a dress form yet, so hanging things in the best way was a bit of an exercise, but now I have it down to a science. Every new piece gets added before it goes into my closet.

My wardrobe is really functional for the first time. This plus a color wheel has me mixing things up with novelty and punch. 

Has anyone else taken time to explore these wardrobe apps?

KynaCreative

(head in her closet)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
ReneeG1957
Posted 2013-06-15 3:01 PM (#85615 - in reply to #85610)
Subject: RE: Wardrobe Organization to the MAX with an App

Regular

I don't have a smart phone.

I do have a cell phone with a camera, a digital camera, and a Nook HD+ (bigger screen) that has access to a number of Google apps (and a Jelly Bean Android micro SD card to turn it into an Android tablet).

So, the next question is - "What is the name of this app and which company sells it?"

Because I have no intention of buying & trying seven different apps when I can try just one (or two, to see which works best for ME and my pc & tablet) and save the rest of the money for fabric, thread, zippers, buttons, or trim! That's give me more fabric money - which is never bad!

Too much fabric is a self correcting issue, when it comes time to start cutting out a whole new wardrobe! Or even just a few fitting shells......

MAM'S SEWING ROOM
Posted 2013-06-16 1:15 AM (#85623 - in reply to #85610)

Regular

This App sound really good! I too would like to know which App this is. I have a Galaxy smart phone so should be able to run this app on it. Thanks for telling us about it.
regards,
Maryann
pamelac858
Posted 2013-06-16 8:12 AM (#85631 - in reply to #85610)

Elite Veteran

She's keeping us in suspense! LOL

Pam
KynaCreative
Posted 2013-06-16 12:17 PM (#85639 - in reply to #85610)

I really didn't mean to keep you in suspense, only to gauge interest....

Search under closet organizer on the app sites.

The app I finally settled on was My Fashion Assistant. This one is available for android for i-devices both.

I fervently tried a few others that did not work as advertised or simply would not load. 
I am very, happy with this choice and was particularly delighted that there is a pc application to go with it.

I'm look forward to hearing if this helps you.

Enjoy

KynaCreative

pamelac858
Posted 2013-06-17 5:53 AM (#85641 - in reply to #85610)
Subject: Re: Wardrobe Organization to the MAX with an App

Elite Veteran

Not finding it.
ReneeG1957
Posted 2013-06-17 9:00 AM (#85647 - in reply to #85610)

Regular

I'm getting a message that it is no longer available on the Android market. I don't have an iPad or iPhone - so, no Fashion Assistant for me.

Durn it.
tbirdtammy
Posted 2013-06-17 9:28 AM (#85648 - in reply to #85610)

Regular

I found one similar for the i phone user called My fashion closet, just download it for my phone and ipad
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.