Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Activity
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

JoAnndjob
Posted 2013-05-27 10:55 AM (#85419)
Subject: Activity

It is so sad that this forum has died. It used to be so busy and gave help, creativity, motivation, ideas. Now we are might see one post per day or even week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
barbara
Posted 2013-05-27 11:03 AM (#85420 - in reply to #85419)
Subject: RE: Activity

yes it is a shame.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-05-27 11:22 AM (#85421 - in reply to #85419)
Subject: Re: Activity

Tech Support

It's a Users Forum guys- It's up to everyone to make it interesting. Take time to post pictures of what you are sewing.
monique montreal
Posted 2013-05-27 5:39 PM (#85423 - in reply to #85421)

Veteran

Karen,
One think is sure, the forum must stay on, maybe if there is a projet with a theme, ex: a blouse with a capri, bermudas etc for a month or more, including settings etc, material description, pictures ...may stimulate the members, just an idea.
Have a good week.
margie2
Posted 2013-05-27 7:41 PM (#85425 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

You are all so right. I love to read about what everyone is doing. To get the conversation started, I posted a question about rayon knits that I have been pondering for some time.

Maybe, our questions do not always have to be about drafting, but include other sewing questions.
Grandma C
Posted 2013-05-27 8:22 PM (#85428 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I am glad to see this issue addressed. I can't be active right now and do not know if I will ever have time to sew again. I do visit and continue to read and learn when the opportunity presents itself.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-05-28 8:26 AM (#85430 - in reply to #85419)

Tech Support

I will think up a few ideas to get things moving again, but will be honest. When I can see 100 people have read something, but no one replies I feel like I'm driving the bus without passengers.

Off to stretch class. Will see what I think of laying on the floor for 45 minutes.
pamelac858
Posted 2013-05-28 10:44 AM (#85433 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I'm on in spurts because of our travel schedule for work.
sewsally
Posted 2013-05-28 10:53 AM (#85435 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I love this forum especially the design ideas and I try to post photos and questions to keep things going.
Interested in measurement and fit issues too.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2013-05-28 11:47 AM (#85439 - in reply to #85419)

Unfortunately, I have nothing to post at this time. More failures than successes and nothing worthy of posting. With major home remodeling for the last 3 months, I'm having a very hard time concentrating on sewing.
JillRN1995
Posted 2013-05-28 2:03 PM (#85440 - in reply to #85419)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't posted much lately, but I plan to resume garment sewing very soon. My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last month. She has undergone surgery to remove the mass, and now is receiving chemo. She will lose her hair, so I'm going to make some turbans or scarves for her. I need to check out the ancillary programs to see if there are any patterns for those. Recently, I decided to try my luck at quilting and machine embroidery. It's been fun, but I need some new clothes. I tinkered with the side arm point setting on my chart, so I'm curious to see how that turns out. I would like to see more "How would you design this?" posts. I enjoy changing my designs in Pattern Editor, so I'd like to see more of that type of instruction. Jill

Edited by JillRN1995 2013-05-28 2:04 PM
Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2013-05-29 8:09 PM (#85461 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I sew about one item every six weeks but I almost never post photos because (a) it involves getting home in daylight so kid or husband can take pictures and (b) I mainly sew businesswear for myself so I assume that no-one else would really be inspired by it.

At the moment, my inspiration is on extended leave anyway. For financial reasons, I have been sewing from a stash which, if it was human, would be anorexic. I looked again at the same dozen or so pieces (all of which are beautiful and suited to my colouring and needs) last night but absolutely nothing jumped out and demanded to be turned into something. What I really want is a spare day to go window shopping with a sewing friend in the high end stores. It isn't the big picture, it's the tiny details that make a difference. I have a poly linen-look which will suit a princess line business dress but I want more than something to just cover the body decently - I want some kind of unique detail so that this dress doesn't look like just a different coloured dress from the last 3.

Perhaps I just need to go bushwalking and let the mind rest and the ideas gradually rise from the subconscious.
margie2
Posted 2013-05-29 8:42 PM (#85463 - in reply to #85461)

Elite Veteran

Cate, I have a morgue that I have had for quite some time. For those of you who think I am working at the County Morgue, it isn't the same thing. I have a collection of pictures of details, in a notebook, that was part of a class I took many years ago. I have recently started adding to it by printing out designs from the Internet and cutting out designs from magazines. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it is very helpful, particularly when you can draft anything you want. When I need ideas, I use my morgue.

Once you get a good fit, all you need to do is make detail changes to the basic garment. When I worked in an office, I made almost everything I wore. No one knew that I sewed. I used the same basic patterns and just changed the details. They were all so surprised after two years when someone found out I knew how to sew. Not a good thing. Everyone had something they either wanted help with, or wanted me to make.
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-05-30 12:09 AM (#85466 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I, also, love this forum. It is my favourite place. but I have had nothing to say lately.

I would like to take one course, or many, to get reinvigorated. I can't find anything enticing in the stores near where I live, so I'm looking online, especially at pattern review. I'm thinking t-shirt sewing is important, but uninspiring. However, a pretty tshirt which fits well *is* inspiring!

I just "prettied up" a sun hat for my friend. That took only 2 afternoons and ended up well. I will try another one for another friend. The sun hat went from "oh my, that's elegant" with a little lace and sparkles the first afternoon, to "oh yes, she does do costumes for the pantomimes, doesn't she!" with lots of colourful sparkles over the whole band by the end!

Tessa
MrsBerit
Posted 2013-05-30 2:55 AM (#85467 - in reply to #85419)

My sewing mojo has been on leave for quite a while now....... but it has come back to me now..... Hurraaahhhh. I have started with a very simple box jacket that i plan to do in 3 different versions (the first is almost finished ) and once they are finished i will post them here. I don't know other people who sews and can see the details or challanges there is in sewing, so this forum is very giving for me. Otherwise it can be s a rather lonley hobby :-)

Berit
pldesigns
Posted 2013-05-30 7:13 AM (#85468 - in reply to #85467)

Veteran

I became totally burnt out doing bridal alterations and haven't made anything fun in ages. I haven't even wanted to.  My students are having a blast making aprons.  I remember when it used to be fun....

I'm in the process of trying to shut my studio and move my things back home. (Going from 400 sqaure feet to 80 is going to take some doing!)  I've been reading the forum but not contributing much.

But, I just came upon a site that has lots of inspiration for nice tops and dresses. It's www.eshakti.com

Sue

Mariane
Posted 2013-05-30 8:43 AM (#85469 - in reply to #85466)

Tessa,

Have you looked into Craftsy (www.craftsy.com)? I don't know if they are available in Canada or not. They have lots on online video classes (sewing, embroidery, knitting, crocheting, cake decorating, etc.)that once you buy you have access forever. They also run periodic sales. Classes range from $9.99 to $49.99 (there are a few free classes). If I see something I like I make a note and keep watching for it to go on sale. I don't pay over $19.99 for a class. Maybe something they have will strike a chord.

Mariane

SueC56
Posted 2013-05-30 9:58 PM (#85475 - in reply to #85419)

Extreme Veteran

I've been too busy with house-remodeling stuff to get organized enough to sew. But I'm seriously thinking about it and working on getting the "stuff" out of my sewing room. But I still hover and read the forums.
TessainGabriola
Posted 2013-05-31 12:50 AM (#85478 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

Mariane - Just this evening I received an email from Islander Sewing systems advertising their classes at Craftsy! I will check it out.

Sue - I believe how you got burned out!! I have done some prom dress alterations this month. The girls were nice and patient and their moms were fine, but it is tricky. And I'm not talking bridal. I can't imagine going there. Would the bride ever be happy? I mean sewing -wise, I'm sure *you* got it right. I can imagine a thread on fancy dresses - "My worst nightmares" - mine would be that at the hem, I cut the fabric on the wrong side of the pins!

Tessa
Brenda
Posted 2013-05-31 8:29 AM (#85480 - in reply to #85419)

Extreme Veteran

I discovered Susan Khalje's Couture Dress on Craftsy (yes, you can get it in Canada...wonders of the internet,grin). I am so inspired! It's got me really wanting to sew something beautiful and challenging (for myself only as my days of sewing for others are definitely over). Whether I will actually take the leap only time and my body "ouchies" will determine. I love this forum and hearing about everything being tried.

HUgs
Brenda
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2013-05-31 9:32 AM (#85482 - in reply to #85419)

I have actually just made my first garment in several years, a flared gored linen skirt. Will post photos later.

Trying to get back into sewing, after a long, long hiatus.
Cristina
Posted 2013-05-31 1:34 PM (#85484 - in reply to #85419)

Extreme Veteran

Customer interest would grow if are offered some incentives for those who contribute to improve the design programs;
For example when reporting a bug, the customer would receive a credit amount to be spent when buying other WG products.
In this way I would enjoy reporting 2 Cameo 5 program bugs found when lightly testing the demo.
Other company like Silhoutte Patterns offer 50$ credit for answering a question at the end of their free webcast.
Also there are many other things to make WG program even more demanded, like analytical views from customers that also should be rewarded.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2013-05-31 2:18 PM (#85485 - in reply to #85478)

Extreme Veteran

Hey cool! There's a get one for $19.99 special going on today for all classes, just got an email about it.

I didn't know Islander had something going - their jacket looks kinda interesting, although it'd be nicer if the presentation garment was a solid so we could see those pocket details and curved bottom hem better. There's another Kenneth King class on making a coat and the Tilton class on tshirts could be cool now that I have a TNT from PMB Knits.
I've taken several craftsy classes, most about fitting stuff and the draping one with Gallo. The last one proved useful as I finally got a template for my back hip fluff ( now digitized in PE) and almost have the front fixed. Also enjoyed Maynards class on fitting as it's very hands on with cutting and stuff, which is generally outside my comfort zone, but encouraging to watch in action. Maynard's method also compliments the book  Perfect Fitting by Velben as they have similar approaches and make use of the horizontal and vertical balance lines to help see problems, much like we do for fit garments in PMB.
As for working in PMB and knits I've not done a lot in getting things done, but more on trying to figure things out. One pattern I do have that's waiting for some knit from fabric.com is a knock-off of McCall's 6754 for myself. I have the pattern, but the design lines hit in the wrong places and in the end it was easier to use my TNT knit base and just self draft the raglan/princess seaming from it and also the peplum. Also had snagged a Style Arc PETA pant from PR classifieds I want to try now it's lightweight pant season and it's interesting that the back crotch is dropped so want to see that that does because it mimicks the result of one of the alts in Velben's book. I just needs some more body depth, so I've got 1 in. SA's on the inseam for fiddling.
So, lots of messing around and learning if not fully completing much. Still entertaining all the same.
Shel

pamelac858
Posted 2013-05-31 8:21 PM (#85487 - in reply to #85419)

Elite Veteran

I looked at that Islander class, too; I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it. I've been sewing a lot from Big 4 patterns with mixed success, but that's Big 4 patterns. It makes me laugh at myself how I've forgotten how to read commercial patterns because I've been creating my own with PMB for so long. When you create your own, you've already 'built' it in your head. And commerical pattern instructions have really gone downhill in the last 10 years or so. That said, I do have a few really nice new tops to enjoy!
My laptop that lasted just 2 months before the hard drive went corrupted my PMB backup, so I've got to do another sloper and make adjustments, but at least I'm not starting from scratch. I do LOVE my PMB for fit!
It's hard to find time to sew, between DIY, extensive work travel, gardening, and that dreaded housework and cooking, but I'm really making an effort to sew at least a little every day; I'm determined to fit my first love back into my life again. Even when I had 4 babies/young kids, was in college full-time, worked full-time, served on the City Council and was going through a divorce, I still sewed at least every other day and I had a goal of sewing a new outfit every week. I worked with a couple of gals who shopped at high-end stores, wore the outfit once or twice, then returned them for a refund so they could look good on a budget - can you IMAGINE? They both envied my outfits so much that they were cruel to me about my pretty clothes. They used to come up, finger the lapels or sleeves and snarl, 'I suppose you made THIS, too?' SCORE ME! LOL
I'm so enjoying my trip back into sewing again; it feels like the Real Me is re-emerging!
Pam
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2013-06-01 7:10 AM (#85488 - in reply to #85419)

Tech Support

If there is interest I can put a forum in "All things sewing" for Online Classes. This was included in the Internet Sewing Class I taught at Puyallup in March.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.