Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need a new serger
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

margie2
Posted 2012-09-21 11:04 AM (#83383)
Subject: Need a new serger

Elite Veteran

I think I need a new serger. I am using a 20 year old Kenmore 4 thread serger. I love it and and have since the day I bought it. I can thread it, take it apart, clean it and put it back together. It has never been in a shop. I have replaced parts. However, it is beginning to sound different and I am afraid too many parts are wearing out. So, I have to think about buying a new one.

The sergers on the market today are so varied that I can't decide between them. I will probably buy a Juki, Bernina, or a Babylock, but need help from those of you who own these. My dilemma seems to be whether I need to go top-of-line or a moderately priced one. Do you use all the bells and whistles? Do you use all the feet?

I use my serger for construction as well as edge finishing. It is probably the most used machine I own. That is why I am having a lot of trouble deciding where to start looking. I have looked online and at a couple dealers, but have not gotten to the point of taking my fabric and trying the machines. I would appreciate any comments about sergers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-09-21 11:32 AM (#83384 - in reply to #83383)
Subject: Re: Need a new serger

Tech Support

I have an older Baby Lock Evolve - Never used 8 threads, but I think the reason they have 8 thread stands is making it easy to change from flat to coverstitch. Love the air threading.
cfonfold
Posted 2012-09-21 12:04 PM (#83386 - in reply to #83383)

Expert

And I own a very old Babylock Imagine. I do have it sharpened professionally, but only after a particularly heavy lycra project. These machine seem to be built for longtime service. In the beginning I didn't use the air threading, but the years have caught up with me --and I agree with Karen, ya' gotta love it!
Coopie
JoAnndjob
Posted 2012-09-21 3:00 PM (#83389 - in reply to #83383)

I agree with Karen and Coopie. I also have an order Evolve. This is the only serger I've had, but couldn't live without the air threading and no tension adjustments needed most of the time. Babylock makes very sturdy, high quality machines. They are expensive tho.
margie2
Posted 2012-09-21 7:38 PM (#83391 - in reply to #83383)
Subject: RE: Need a new serger

Elite Veteran

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.

Do any of your sergers have a coverstitch? If so, do you use the same thread for coverstitching (is that a word?) as you do for serging? I have a dedicated coverstitch machine, but do not use serger thread when I use it. It does not like serger thread. I am trying to decide if it is more convenient to use the coverstitch stitch on a serger that is already threaded.

Air threading sounds convenient, particularly since I can't always see as well as I used to. I don't have trouble threading my machine, but it is very simple compared to the newer models.
JoAnndjob
Posted 2012-09-21 10:31 PM (#83392 - in reply to #83391)

The Evolve has a coverstitch, but you have to re-thread. The serger fuction and coverstitch function use different guides and needle positions. I use both regular sewing thread and serger thread for coverstitch. Always serger thread in the looper, but which ever thread matches the best for the top.
margie2
Posted 2012-09-21 11:38 PM (#83393 - in reply to #83392)

Elite Veteran

That is good to know, JoAnn, thank you. I know you have to rethread a serger to get to the coverstitch. I am debating if I need a serger with a coverstitch. I would like some choices in width that I don't have with my Bernina Funlock (a silly name for a machine ). But, I don't know if I would go to the trouble of switching the serger to coverstitch when I already have a coverstitch.
pldesigns
Posted 2012-09-22 7:25 AM (#83394 - in reply to #83393)

Veteran

Last year I taught a serger workshop. There were many different machines in the class.  I had the students sew 8 inches of fabric with each of the tension dials messed up , one at a time, so they'd know what it looked like if something was off.  One woman had an Evolve and it never looked bad!  Very impressive.  When I taught at a college, we had new sergers that switched to a coverstitch.  They were a pain in the neck and hardly ever got switched.  Definitely not worth the extra expense. 
Grandma C
Posted 2012-09-22 10:41 AM (#83395 - in reply to #83383)

Elite Veteran

With air threading being so easy then rethreading to coverlock sounds pretty benign but the again one has to rethread again for serging. I guess that is pretty important when one is a good time manager. I envy babylock owners.
Tall Karen
Posted 2012-09-22 11:33 AM (#83396 - in reply to #83383)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Brother serger. I looked at the jet air threading because the reason I wanted to upgrade from my original Babylock 101 was due to the difficulty seeing the lower looper threading eye....In the end, I couldn't justify the extra expense and have found the Brother easy to thread, saving about $1000. It (Brother) has served me well. I guess I'm a Brother fan because I have had good machines that rival the way more expensive top of the line and then when I will need to upgrade again, it won't be the loss of such a major investment. I learned this lesson after my mother died and I inherited her top of the line Pfaff computerized machine. I thought I' use it for a trade in on a nice machine and found it to be pretty much worthless because the technology was so outdated. That taught me a lesson! Just my$.02!
margie2
Posted 2012-09-22 11:57 AM (#83397 - in reply to #83396)

Elite Veteran

Karen, can you use a knit binder with your machine? I wanted to try to use one with my Bernina, but the way it is designed a binder will not work. I think I read somewhere that you can use a commercial knit binder with the Brother. I know the Babylock has a binder, but it is just for wovens. I had to explain the difference to the woman trying to sell me the Bablylock, so the information is not widely known.
StMike
Posted 2012-09-22 12:53 PM (#83398 - in reply to #83383)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 4-thread JUKI 654DE. It is not one of the expensive top of the line models. However, threading is not that difficult after you do it the first time with some help. I have trouble threading the needles, but I think you have to thread needles on all machines - even the air threading ones. I use the tying off method for changing threads. My JUKI does not look fancy either. It has the tension disks on the front and resembles a smaller version of the industrial sergers. Not pretty. But it really works smoothly, makes great stitches, and holds the tensions forever until you change them. It is also relatively quiet and does not jump around the table at all even at the highest speeds. It does not have the cover lock stitch, but I am sure I would avoid using that feature anyway. I decided that after taking a JUKI class on sergers a the sewing expo in Puyallup. Switching over to the cover lock was way too much trouble. I agree that it is not necessary to spend a fortune on any sewing machine. I say that after having bought a Viking Sapphire 875 to add to my Viking Emerald 118. I later bought a 1962-65 Phaff 260 off of Craig's list for $50, and I like the way it works and stitches much better than the Vikings for just straight sewing. The Vikings have all those fancy stitches, etc. that I hardly ever use. I do like the automatic buttonholes on the Viking Sapphire.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-09-22 2:26 PM (#83399 - in reply to #83383)

Tech Support

I don't have extra feet for mine. I've had it I guessing 12 years.
JeanK
Posted 2012-09-22 9:04 PM (#83409 - in reply to #83399)

Up front I will say that I'm a machine junkie.

I have both the original Evolve (with extra feet - package deal) and the Juki 654DE.

I like the Juki for many of the same reasons as St. Mike and because I can mess with the tensions to my heart's content. I learned so many techniques for decorative stitching by playing with tension with my first serger in the late 80's. After using the Evolve, I do find it only slightly irritating that if I want to try different decorative threads, I have to thread in specific order. Absolutely a solid machine, great price - including the extra feet. I use this one for taking to sewing events & don't worry a lot about over-working it because it's so tough.

I like my Evolve which never leaves my sewing room. Experimenting with different threads is a joy because I can thread in any order. I can take out the upper looper thread, re-thread with jet-air and off I go. I find it a breeze to change over to coverstitch. I'm not crazy about the fact that I must follow specific settings get a stitch - e.g., rolled hem. I want control, darn it. Auto tension has never given me a bad stitch when finishing seam edges. I haven't used any of the extra feet yet, but I can if I want to.

I had another brand as a second machine before the Juki. Great company, great machines - but I never bonded with it. I sold it to a friend who is thrilled and produces beautiful work with it.

Try machines using the fabric you use and for the purposes you plan. Thread it. If you're not comfortable with anything, look again. You may come back, but there's a lot to be said for comparison shopping.

SueC56
Posted 2012-09-23 12:46 AM (#83412 - in reply to #83409)

Extreme Veteran

Great insight and advice, Jean.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-09-23 9:55 AM (#83413 - in reply to #83383)

Tech Support

Research different machines on line. Yesterday I went sewing/embroidery combo looking and the sales woman could not run the machine. She had the manager come out and even he had problems making it do a couple of things. My thought is if you want to sell a high end machine you must know how it works. I started to think I knew more from my research than the store did.
Tall Karen
Posted 2012-09-23 6:59 PM (#83421 - in reply to #83397)

Extreme Veteran

Margie, I've never done anything but basic stitching and narrow hems. It's a workhorse. It came with some attachments, but I've never used them......Haven't needed to for what I use it for--the basics. I think all have valid points, but for me the price difference for basic operations wasn't worth it. I find the Brother easy to thread because of the little slide lever for the lower looper. Otherwise, it threads just like a coverstitch (the other 2 threads). I use a coverpro for a coverstitch. Even if you have to change threads for a serger/coverstitch, it seems like it would be no different than setting up the dedicated coverstitch which takes some setting up anyway if you want thread to match. Good luck with your search.

fayefish
Posted 2012-09-23 9:10 PM (#83422 - in reply to #83383)

I have a babylock imagine. It is the best overlocker I have had. No tension adjustments, air threading so easy and have needle threader. I also have babylock coverstitch as I did not want the hassle of converting between overlocker and coverstitch. You can purchase knit and woven binders for this machine. The babylock brand ones are quite expensive. I have purchased some from Sharps on ebay and they work just fine. I would not upgrade to anything but babylock as they are so easy to use. I only would use two coloured threads in previous sergers but now have just about every colour because I know if I change thread I will work perfe ctly again.
RJ388
Posted 2012-09-24 12:00 AM (#83424 - in reply to #83398)

Regular

Hi everyone,

I also have the Evolve and would not be without the air-jet threading.. and agree with everyone else on the auto-set tension
I have never had a bad stitch

St. Mike.. I'm sure other places sell this.. but check out the needle threader at Nancy's Notions...
The one I have came with my Evolve.. so don't know if this one is identical.. but, the picture looks like mine.
I couldn't thread my needles without this. It's priceless!!

Hope it works for you.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/creative+notions+needle+thread...

Rosemary
margie2
Posted 2012-09-25 10:24 AM (#83435 - in reply to #83383)

Elite Veteran

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts about sergers. I knew I would get more and better information from you than if I just visited dealers. I don't plan to buy one until I have to. One thing I found in my research. " The Evolution was also the first serger in the world to combine overlocking and cover stitching in the same operation." I can't quite imagine how that happens, or when you would want it to happen. Guess I need to go take a look at the dealer. Does anyone have the Evolution and use that feature?
stpat61043
Posted 2012-09-25 11:44 AM (#83436 - in reply to #83435)

Regular

I've owned an Evolution for 3 years. I bought my first serger in 1985 and over the years I've owned a Pfaff, an early Bablylock (without air threading), a Bernia serger/coverstitch combination....coverstitch never worked correctly, and a standalone Bernina coverstitch machine.
The Evolution is the best serger I've every owned. There is never a tension issue..... The coverstitch feature is outstanding. And yes, it can do a coverstitch and serging feature at the same time. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pat in Georgetown
croy99
Posted 2012-10-07 4:12 PM (#83567 - in reply to #83383)

Well, I can say what NOT to get: the Juki MO-735. It does the edge stitch ... badly and the serge part ok. If you sew a lot, this is not the right machine.
margie2
Posted 2013-09-07 7:31 PM (#86381 - in reply to #83383)
Subject: RE: Need a new serger

Elite Veteran

I finally decided to get a new serger and I bought the Babylock Evolution. One reason I bought this particular machine is because of all the things it does. I may never use it to its potential.

I have encountered a problem. When I cross a seam the machine bogs down slightly and creates many stitches close together. Sometimes it bounces the fabric away from the needles. It happens with light weight fabrics as well as something a little heavier. I made a couple knit tank tops, 10 pillowcases, and a couple knit shirts. It doesn't seem to matter if the fabric is woven or knit.

I went back to the dealer with my samples and didn't get much help. The staff person who waited on me had the same problem, actually more, with the floor model. She couldn't get the machine to make a good stitch at all. She took my samples and said someone with more knowledge would call me today. No one has.

I think it might be the knives or the presser foot pressure is too tight. Has anyone else had this problem?
stpat61043
Posted 2013-09-07 7:53 PM (#86383 - in reply to #83383)

Regular

When I am stitching on my regular sewing machine, and say, I have my stitch length set on say 3.5...when I sew over two seam allowances, the stitch length gets shorter....The machine sews a shorter stitch length when it encounters a thicker piece of fabric (or two seam allowances crossing). I wonder if you lengthen your stitch length as you about to cross the area where you are encountering the close stitches together and see if that helps. Adjusting the presser foot pressure could be tried if the first suggestion doesn't work.

Let me know if that helps.
margie2
Posted 2013-09-09 10:41 AM (#86390 - in reply to #86383)

Elite Veteran

I can make a difference by changing the stitch length. But, I shouldn't have to. I have two other sergers and do not have this problem with either of them.

I have not yet tried to change the pressure foot pressure. At the dealer, the two staff members thought that was not the solution. Of course, they didn't have a solution.

I guess my next move is to contact Baby Lock directly.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.