Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need a new serger
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger General Info -> The Off Topic - Whatever You Want To Post - ForumMessage format

sewsally
Posted 2013-09-09 12:44 PM (#86391 - in reply to #83383)
Subject: Re: Need a new serger

Elite Veteran

For a thick seam you can use a humper jumper like you do with a sewing machine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
margie2
Posted 2013-09-09 11:43 PM (#86393 - in reply to #83383)
Subject: RE: Need a new serger

Elite Veteran

I heard from a staff member at my dealer. She suggested I use, "taut sewing" when I get to a cross seam. Apparently, this is what you had to do with some of the early sergers. I never had to with mine, so this was new to me. I tried it and it worked, although I still don't think that should be the case with a modern TOL serger.

I have not changed the presser foot pressure, yet. One thing I have learned from collecting old machines is not to try different things at the same time. I have learned the hard way to proceed with one fix at a time.

Thank you, all, for your suggestions.
maryann
Posted 2013-09-14 2:25 PM (#86426 - in reply to #86393)

Regular

This is a well known issue to virtually all Babylock serger owners with the serger/coverstitch combo machines.  It comes up now and then on the yahoo groups babylock serger list (babylocksergers@yahoogroups.com).  I recommend you go to the yahoo groups site and join this list and you can review all the previous wisdom shared on this matter plus anything new that anyone has to add.  Previous suggestions offered here have also been mentioned there (lengthen stitch length, use of a hump jumper, reduced presser foot pressure).  Taut sewing is actually a new one I hadn't heard before but I kind of question its use on stretchy knits.  Did you get any excessive rippling when you tried it?  There's also a relatively new foot available that's supposed to help with this issue when coverstitching, the Cover/Chain Stitch Foot (BLE8-CCF).  It's quite a bit narrower than the all-purpose foot (less drag?) and those on the babylock list who've tried it say it has helped.  It can only be used for the cover/chain stitch since the narrowing of the foot comes from eliminating the overlock part of the all purpose foot.  You might want to check it out.  Hope this helps.

Maryann

margie2
Posted 2013-09-14 5:05 PM (#86428 - in reply to #86426)

Elite Veteran

Thanks, Maryann, for your information. I did not know about that foot. Wonder why my dealer didn't mention it? You would think they would jump at the chance to sell me more. I have not had the problem with my coverstitch, just serging seams.

The taut sewing worked sort of OK. I was just using scraps and they were stable cotton knits. Have not tried in on rayon, yet. I only did the taut sewing at the intersection of the seams. I am pleased to know that it wasn't just my machine. I thought there might be something wrong with it.

I will check out the Yahoo site. One more Group can't hurt.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.