Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall Sewing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> Design Challenges - PublicMessage format

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-09-05 9:36 AM (#83237)
Subject: Fall Sewing

Tech Support

Fall is in the air - so thinking of some new sewing projects.

I found this post I wrote in  2009 -

I suspect you know what looks good on you.

Pull everything our of your closet and see what styles are in there. Compare what you wear with the things you just keep in your closet.

Try new styles in muslins. I suggest a plain fabric - you just want to check design lines.

Take time to sew. I have a picture to put up of a blouse I worked on. I did a muslin and just looking in the mirror made a change in the empire waist level. I also played with the hem. Before hemming the blouse I tried it on again - with a pair of capris I planned to wear with it and again looked at the hem. I adjust it up another inch - pressed - tried on again. I saved all the changes in my style catalog so I have a good start on another blouse.

My optinion is most fashion errors are:

Pants too short. My rule is back edge of pants touches the ground without shoes. Try different leg shapes and wear them. Don't be put off by pre-conceived ideas. Try flare pants with a flare of 1. Fit's nicely over the foot and doesn't say 1970 - doesn't even look flared on. A wider leg can be slimming. I think short pants with a small hem circumference look "old lady."

Clothes too tight. Actually I tend to see slim women add more ease than they need and fuller figured women want things snugger. I suspect it's because both have problems finding things that fit correctly or they are tied to size. Several years ago I was helping a person fit. I said the measured a 22. She said she wore a 14 - she just didn't button it! Ever been behind someone with really tight pants and you focus on her backside. I've told this story before. At the ASG spring luncheon I was sitting next to a woman wearing a beautiful jacket. When she left and walked across the room she became moving "thighs". The focus went to her very tight pants moving and not the jacket.

Color - I think color can change the fit - not actually but it really makes a difference on how cute you look in it. I read recently an opinion that women wear black because the designers are not giving us great colors. Give your clothes some "punch with color"

Go to the mall and try on different things - saves time sewing a style that just doesn't work on you. If you go to sewing expos many pattern companies have samples to try on.

When Loretta and I were teaching classes we had a skit. I would come out in a dress, no hem, messy hair - white socks and slippers.

She would ask for suggestions to improve the fit. Once there were suggestions, I put on proper shoes, she pinned up the hem, combed my hair and added a necklace.

The dress looked very different.

So, don't try on clothes over your PJ's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
julie w
Posted 2012-09-05 10:13 AM (#83238 - in reply to #83237)
Subject: RE: Fall Sewing

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Karen for reposting, a great reminder of what to do and as importantly what not to do.
sewsally
Posted 2012-09-05 2:29 PM (#83239 - in reply to #83237)
Subject: Re: Fall Sewing

Elite Veteran

I often measure clothes I like in the store or at home. Length, hem width, sleeve dimensions, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.