Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting Vintage Patterns Into Pattern Editor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Vintage DesignsMessage format

DetroitRae
Posted 2012-06-22 2:02 PM (#82253)
Subject: Putting Vintage Patterns Into Pattern Editor

Hello, I have scanned and put into PE two different vintage patterns and they are huge in their dimensions, I scaled them down to my size but when I print the pattern it is still way to big. I read Marie Anne's post "Putting Vintage Patterns into PMB5" but my original tracing comes out big not small. Does anyone have any hints on how to scale down in size or what I may be doing wrong. Thanks, Catherine
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rebells
Posted 2012-06-22 3:15 PM (#82254 - in reply to #82253)
Subject: Re: Putting Vintage Patterns Into Pattern Editor

Extreme Veteran

Would you please provide a link to the post you are referring to?
Carol H
Posted 2012-06-22 3:42 PM (#82255 - in reply to #82253)
Subject: RE: Putting Vintage Patterns Into Pattern Editor

Extreme Veteran

For what it is worth . . . . . . I don't know that vintage patterns are any different than anything else that is scanned into PE, and am not sure how you determine "your size".

Whenever I scan something into PE, I first draw a 4 inch square on the pattern before putting it on the scanner.  You can use any dimension, I just choose 4 x 4. When it is scanned and saved into PE, I scale it down usign the scale tool, so that the dimensions of the square are 4 X 4.  The rest follows.

I trace the pattern, using the lines and curves and then group them together and move them away from the original scanned pattern.

As long as PE tells you that the square measrues 4 x 4, the pattern prints to scale.

I hope this helps.

Carol

Edited by Carol H 2012-06-22 3:46 PM
ursulab
Posted 2012-06-22 4:15 PM (#82256 - in reply to #82253)
Subject: RE: Putting Vintage Patterns Into Pattern Editor

How does one scan a whole pattern? Isn't  the pattern too large for the scanner bed?
DetroitRae
Posted 2012-06-22 4:16 PM (#82257 - in reply to #82254)

Here is the link to the post, it's from jeanninec1976, http://www.wildginger.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8359&po... -
I may have made a mistake in the name who the original post is from.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2012-06-22 7:03 PM (#82259 - in reply to #82257)

Extreme Veteran

I dunno about you, but scanning and piecing the scan is best done in a graphics program like Photoshop, Photopaint or the freebie, Gimp. I agree you do need a square or something to help you scale in it PE. Scans brought into PE are never to true size but after tracing everything you can do a little math and get the percentage of reduction needed.

If you can't piece in a graphics program, I did see a video ( thanks WG yahoogroup) where someone traced their pattern from a digital photo they took of it. The only con of this is it needs to be done carefully so there is no distortion and in focus. The tip about using MERGE instead of open in PE was brilliant. That fixed my issues with bringing in .jpgs right away.

Photo tracing in PE

I've not tried this way yet, but it's tempting. Even with my large format scanner, it's a pain to align things in Photoshop.

Shel

DetroitRae
Posted 2012-06-22 9:13 PM (#82260 - in reply to #82259)

Thanks everyone. Using a measured square is going to be a big help, and the video is very helpful, I'm much clearer on how to do this and can't wait to try again!
magenta
Posted 2012-07-02 7:16 AM (#82455 - in reply to #82253)

Extreme Veteran

Probabaly about a year ago, some-one put up a link for scanning intoPE. It had something to do with putting the hood from a bought pattern onto her WG pattern. It is my bed-time now, but will look tomorrow.
marieannepynn
Posted 2012-07-15 2:37 PM (#82729 - in reply to #82253)

Veteran

I had similary issues shrinking traced patterns. If I recall, I did desired length (smaller)/actuall length in PE (bigger) times 100. But then I take that percent and substract from 100. That is the shrinking %. So if you calculate 10%, you'll want to shrink 90%
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.