Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

?AH binding?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Garment ConstructionMessage format

NancyM
Posted 2012-02-21 11:06 PM (#80281)
Subject: ?AH binding?

Extreme Veteran

I've drafted and mostly sewn a sleeveless knit top with cowl neck. The pattern drafts with a binding strip even if you select an AH facing, and Karen says this is the way it's supposed to be--the sewing guide sheet instructions for putting in an AH facing shouldn't be there. But I can't find instructions for sewing on the binding. I tried sewing guide preview and it gives me sleeve instructions even when I've selected a binding rather than a sleeve. Construction should be easy enough; what I'm not sure about is how to match up the seam lines. If I stitch the binding to the AH seam as drafted, and then fold the binding strip along the center and turn to wrong side *enclosing* the raw edge, won't the AH project beyond what is supposed to be its finished edge? Or am I supposed to turn the *whole binding* to the wrong side along the seamline the same way I would a shaped facing? Or construct it as a French trim? Or what?

Nancy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2012-02-22 12:33 AM (#80282 - in reply to #80281)
Subject: RE: ?AH binding?

Extreme Veteran

I'd try this method. Haven't done it myself since with mutton arms, sleeveless is scary. It looks quite nice tho and easy to do. Scroll down to near the end to get to the binding part.

Tank top w binding tut

NancyM
Posted 2012-02-22 10:26 AM (#80291 - in reply to #80281)
Subject: RE: ?AH binding?

Extreme Veteran

Let me try to reword the question. Given that I initially selected a faced AH, but the software substituted binding,
--is the AH seam supposed to be the finished edge (as for a facing)?
--or is the finished edge supposed to be 1/2" or so *outside* the AH seam (as for a binding)?
How did the program calculate this?

I can't tell by just superimposing the red sloper, because the cowl neck changes the position of the AH on the flat pattern. And I can't just try it on and see what I like, because I'm sewing for my daughter-in-law many hundreds of miles away.

Nancy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.