Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Really outside the box press/steam question
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

margie2
Posted 2012-07-23 11:09 AM (#82833 - in reply to #80230)
Subject: Re: Really outside the box press/steam question

Elite Veteran

I would like to talk about irons, again. Does anyone have an Oliso? I have decided that I need a new iron. My old Rowenta is leaking and my Conair, even with the override when vertical, just won't stay on long enough when horizontal. I have tried to research for an iron without auto shut off. I have found two that can be overridden. One is the Velocity by Reliable and the other is the Oliso. Reliable is coming out with a new iron in the Fall, but right now the Velocity 100 is the one that has the override. BTW, Jill, this is not your iron. You said you have the V95. It does not have the override. I wrote to Reliable to be sure that I could really override the auto shut off and got the answer that I could. Their new iron has more bells and whistles, but holds less water than the V100. I read reviews about the V100 and they are either very good or very bad. Makes it hard to decide what to believe.

I would get a gravity iron or a steam generator iron, but I don't have room for either one. Turning my iron off is not a problem because I practically have to trip over it when I leave the room.

Would love to know if anyone have found any other brands that either don't have auto shut off or can be overridden.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kuby McCarty
Posted 2012-07-23 7:32 PM (#82845 - in reply to #82833)

Veteran

I had a Rowenta iron/steamer that I gave to my garment teacher when I had my shop. I used a Bernina Iron for years. The Rowenta died in a few months. The plate wouldn't even get hot. The Bernina was wonderful, then one day the handle broke off and burned my pants. I had had a customer that returned a Bernina Iron saying it leaked. We sent it back to Bernina and said said nothing was wrong with it. My customer took it home and brought it back saying it still leaked. I gave her her money back and took the iron knowing I couldn't sell it to anyone else in good conscience. Well I can tell you, the Bernina Iron is leaking!! I keep a bowl next to the iron and when I press the steam button, it puddles in the bowl. I was thinking of getting the V100 Reliable Iron, but I'm going to wait for the new model. I have a Rowenta Iron that is auto shutoff and drives me crazy. I can alway use it in a pinch.
monique montreal
Posted 2012-07-24 10:42 AM (#82861 - in reply to #80230)

Veteran

Margiez, I bought an Oliso TG1200 a month ago, I am very pleased with it for now on; if you have questions about this iron, will be pleased to answer. I already have a Rowenta, by now use my Oliso, more steam, the water tank is bigger, good for the lycra etc. I you have questions, will be pleased to try to answer .
margie2
Posted 2012-07-24 10:48 AM (#82862 - in reply to #82861)

Elite Veteran

Monique, can you set the Olisio upright like a conventional iron? I mostly use my iron at the end of my cutting table on a rectangular tabletop ironing board. Since it is small I set the iron off to the side on the cutting table. My main interest in this iron is the ability to override auto shutoff feature.
monique montreal
Posted 2012-07-24 11:31 AM (#82863 - in reply to #80230)

Veteran

Margiez, I always use the auto shutoff feature and the auto- lift techn. but I just test to see if overriding the auto-lift the iron will keep heating: after 8 minutes the iron shut off; but I think I saw on the Oliso site there is one style for pro who does nt shut down. Hope your will find the best iron for you use.

Just find on the web the Oliso pro will shutoff after 30 minutes.............

Edited by monique montreal 2012-07-24 11:35 AM
margie2
Posted 2012-07-24 12:41 PM (#82865 - in reply to #82863)

Elite Veteran

Thank you, Monique. I thought it would stay on longer than the 30 minutes, but I can't imagine ironing something for 30 minutes, anyway. I would get really bored by then.
margie2
Posted 2012-07-24 12:45 PM (#82866 - in reply to #82845)

Elite Veteran

Kuby, why are you waiting for the new model Velocity iron? I have compared the V100 with the new V200 and can't decide which I would prefer. I am always the sucker for new technology, but the V100 holds more water. That would be my only reason for wanting it. Would love to hear your reasons for wanting the new one.
monique montreal
Posted 2012-07-24 12:46 PM (#82867 - in reply to #82865)

Veteran

I may be not using the good words "the 30 minutes" it is when your are not using the iron.
margie2
Posted 2012-07-24 12:50 PM (#82868 - in reply to #82867)

Elite Veteran

Thank you, Monique. I will go to their website and check out the irons, again. I did look at them a few weeks ago. I have been doing research in hopes that there are more than two to choose from that can override the auto shut off. I just hate it when I am trying to fuse something and the iron turns off, if I don't turn it upright. I found myself turning my Rowenta up to reset itself the other day and that iron does not have an auto shut off!
Kuby McCarty
Posted 2012-07-24 1:33 PM (#82869 - in reply to #82866)

Veteran

Margie,

I'm waiting only for the reason of not wanting to part with my money before I have to. I intend to wait to see if the V200 gets good reviews and how they handle the auto shut-off.
margie2
Posted 2012-07-24 1:44 PM (#82871 - in reply to #82869)

Elite Veteran

That makes sense, Kuby. I will not pre-order. I just thought you might know something that I don't. I am not in great need of an iron, right now. I have four. Now, if I could just combine the features of all four, I would have a perfect iron. It is kind of like my search for a perfect sewing machine.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.