Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Really outside the box press/steam question
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

thistles
Posted 2012-02-18 9:29 PM (#80230)
Subject: Really outside the box press/steam question

Extreme Veteran

I've had several Rowenta irons, and I love the feel of them, but they invariably spit and leak water.  The one I have now is particularly bad, and none of their tips and tricks seem to solve the problem.

I saw that Shark has several types of portable steam cleaners.  I was wondering about using my iron dry, and then using one of these steamers to generate the steam I need for pressing.  Do you think it would work?  Are there any pitfalls to this that I may not have considered?

One advantage would be that I could press at lower temperatures and the steam would be generated independently.

Any thoughts on this matter?  Thanks a lot!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
barbara
Posted 2012-02-19 11:01 AM (#80233 - in reply to #80230)
Subject: RE: Really outside the box press/steam question

susan, I have started thinking like my mother. she never bought expensive irons. she bought cheap irons and then when they broke or got clogged beyond hope, just threw them out and bought another cheap iron. My mother was not a sewist however, but she had to use steam alot for shirts and suits.

I am not that concerned about the steam, when I need moisture I spray bottle or just use a damp cloth or even just fingers to get the moisture where i need it. I like to put the steam right where I want it. to shrink a fabric, yes I need steam, but I feel a a cheapy ones do just fine.
In my experience all irons will spit sometimes and clog. I have never been able to keep an iron from clogging, it might depend on your water conditions, but it never ever worked for me.

My sewing friends swear by rowentas and tell me I don't do it right. the expensive irons are heavy and I am told this is good, but I don't see why. after my surgery I couldn't lift heavy things and an iron was even too heavy. One day I went to turn on my expensive, heavy iron and it would not heat up. I threw it out and bought a new cheap on and the rest is history.

my friends still dont' agree with me, but we do not talk about my iron preference, don't ask don't tell.

Of course, this is only my opinion.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-02-19 11:50 AM (#80236 - in reply to #80233)
Subject: Re: Really outside the box press/steam question

Tech Support

When I was teaching, the garment instructors complained that the craft and home dec classes were mucking up the irons. One day they bought a bunch of Walmart irons and put our names on them so we didn't blame anyone if they got dirty. Turned out to be great irons. Trick was, never turn them off. Turned them on before class and left them on until the end of the day. They held good heat and steam.

When using my Rowentas I always shoot steam when I pick it up, away from what I am pressing. Irons with auto off are not good for sewing in my opinion.

margie2
Posted 2012-02-19 8:31 PM (#80240 - in reply to #80236)

Elite Veteran

I do not like auto-off irons, either. I am always on the lookout for an iron that does not have this feature. I did find a really, really cheap iron several years ago that did not have auto-off, but it was so poorly designed that it kept falling over. The placement of the cord would not allow it to sit upright and be steady.

The iron I have now I really like. It is a Conair with a feature that allows me to override the auto shut off. But, it only overrides the auto shut off when the iron is upright. As soon as you tip the iron over and try to use it, the auto shut off engages and you can't leave it on the surface for longer than 15 seconds. All I have to do is lift it upright and it is good to go. I have had this iron for several years, maybe five or six, I am not sure. It produces a lot of steam and can be used in a vertical position for steaming. It has never leaked or spit. Since it is so old, I am not sure if Conair still makes it, but might be worth investigating. I think they called it a craft iron.

The Conair replaced a Rowenta, that I still have. The Rowenta works fine, but does not produce enough steam. I have read that where the Rowentas are made makes a difference in reliability, but I don't know if that is true.
thistles
Posted 2012-02-19 9:25 PM (#80241 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I appreciate the input. This is about my third Rowenta, and they have all spit, but this one is a particularly bad leaker. It does not have an auto shut-off, so that helps a lot. I've just discovered that if the water reservoir is full when I begin, there is less leakage. I do like the feel and weight of it in my hand, but I definitely would not lay out another $100 + for a Rowenta again. That's why I was wondering about the separate steamer idea. That way I could use the steamer for other projects as well.

I've followed threads where people have voiced the same sentiment as Barbara and Karen, that sometimes the cheapie irons are better. At least you aren't out so much money when they die. I was considering a Rowenta steamer where the water resevoir is separate from the iron because I seem to recall that people on this list had good things to say about it (Karen?), but when I read reviews from previous buyers on the models I was considering, they often complained of the leaking and spitting. I don't want to upgrade to just a more expensive leaker and spitter!
JillRN1995
Posted 2012-02-19 10:53 PM (#80242 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I had a Rowenta iron that I didn't like either. Now I have a Reliable Velocity iron which I love. It will generate steam even at low temps. It's never spit water but I always use distilled water in it. It does have auto shut off but it usually reheats pretty quickly.

Here is a link for it:

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp11130.html
-Max-
Posted 2012-02-20 1:13 AM (#80244 - in reply to #80230)

Regular

Hi,
I've used Rowenta's, originals and steam generator, for years without issues. I follow their directions of using 1/2 distilled and 1/2 tap water for eliminating drips and spitting. Our tap water is a medium hardness, otherwise I would use regular/spring and distilled bottled waters. I do also as Karen, first steaming away from article I'm pressing. I also use fine spray bottles. I us a damp cloth for finger pressing. I gave my auto shut off to my son which makes me feel he is safer.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2012-02-20 6:42 AM (#80245 - in reply to #80230)

Tech Support

My current Rowenta is an older one they don't make any more. It has the removable water tank. I love it. Last year the on/off switch died, but a local appliance place fixed it for $35.

My daughter has a Rowenta tank style - hard to tell how much water is in it, but I've not had a problem with it.

I also have a standard Rowenta iron, but rarely use it - after using the tank style a standard iron is heavy.
sewsally
Posted 2012-02-20 12:18 PM (#80252 - in reply to #80230)

Elite Veteran

I have an older Rowenta Steam Generator Iron with the separate tank.
It has no timer and it takes about 10 minutes to heat up and cool off.
It puts out lots of steam, is light and has a smooth stainles bottom.

If my husband wasn't mr handyman, it would have died years ago. Water has gotten into the feed line when I try to steam before its fully heated. He blows it out with compressed air.
Some of the contacts inside get rusty and then the iron itself doesn't heat up so he takes it apart and cleans up the contacts.
I have to be careful pouring water into the tank because there is a space that allows it to leak into the body and then drip down onto the floor.

Would I buy another one? Yes - the newer model when I have a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond.
thistles
Posted 2012-02-20 2:16 PM (#80253 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

<p>It's not that I don't like the Rowentas; the problem is that I do! The last one I had only had negligible spitting problems, nothing I couldn't manage, but after about five years it developed some kind of short that made it shut off when it was supposed to be on. I needed Sally's husband to work his magic on it! The replacement, the one I have now, generates a beautiful amount of steam, but has developed this leak after two years. Pools of water come out the bottom of it all over my ironing board. Perhaps it's something that could be repaired by a technical person. I've started using purified water, and I will also use the suggestion to do a puff of steam away from my fabric before I start. I also still like the idea of the steam generator, and I'm glad to hear positive feedback from you all.</p><p>I'm glad to get feedback on the Reliable irons, too.  I considered that brand, but I really want something that does not have the auto power shut off.</p>

Edited by thistles 2012-02-20 2:41 PM
vickys
Posted 2012-02-20 2:37 PM (#80254 - in reply to #80230)

Veteran

I got my Rowenta at Target for a good price because my dogs tend to run into my ironing board and knock the iron off and break it. So, I refuse to pay lots of money for something I know is going to get dropped. This Rowenta spits sometimes, but for me the most annoying feature is its auto shutoff. While I am ironing yardage or fusing interfacing I constantly have to remember to lift and tilt it upright before it shuts itself off or else the spitting starts. It also seems to lose heat while I'm using steam.

barbara
Posted 2012-02-20 7:51 PM (#80256 - in reply to #80254)

I also really hate the auto off, but it does depend on how long it takes to go off. I had one iron that stayed on for 30 min, I liked that one. the others that I had turned off in 10 min, very frustrating.

the iron I have now doesn't even have an on/off switch, you have to plug it in and unplug it. It seems ridiculous, but at least if I forget I can ask ds or dh to just unplug it. they can handle that. It is either on or off.

I would like to know who irons? Most young people I know say they don't iron. DD told her boyfriend if he wanted his shirts ironed he would have to do them himself. i mostly use my iron for sewing. I iron very little and like dd I won't iron dh,s shirts, not until he starts cleaning the house and actually doing a good job of it. He complains that I have the ironing board set up all the time, why can't I just iron for him.

after 30 years of cleaning up after people I am done, retired, what ever you want to call it. It seems you can retire from your job, but you can't retire from being a mom or doing the house work. I'm trying!

PurplePincushion
Posted 2012-02-20 9:30 PM (#80257 - in reply to #80230)

Regular

I tried the Rowenta a few years back because I had heard so many good things about them but I ended up returning and going back to my not super cheap but definitely not expensive Sunbeam. I am in my 3rd Sunbeam in 20 years, and I use them hard. They do get knocked off the ironing board from time to time but they hold up great. Very minor issues with leaking and spitting. I sew for customers and I cannot afford to replace a bridesmaid dress or an expensive piece of silk because my iron spit up on it. And I use steam for everything.
StMike
Posted 2012-02-20 10:46 PM (#80259 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I spent over $130 a few years ago for a Rowenta. Boy, was that a mistake. Big rip off! It sits in the closet unused. It spit, leaked all over the place, and eventually leaked brown stains on the fabric I was pressing at the time. I am now using a cheap Black and Decker steam iron (around $25) with a little more satisfaction than with the Rowenta. Still that darned auto turnoff really is annoying. Who irons? I do. Otherwise, I would look like I slept in everything. Most of my iron use is for sewing though.

Edited by StMike 2012-02-20 10:47 PM
thistles
Posted 2012-02-20 11:57 PM (#80260 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I used a Sunbeam when I was traveling (they had it at the motel) and I was really impressed.  I didn't try the steam, though.

Edited by thistles 2012-02-20 11:58 PM
magenta
Posted 2012-02-21 6:41 AM (#80262 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Black and Decker which I really like. If I haven't used it for a while I will press the steam shot button into the air before pressing. It has auto shut-off, but the thing I like most is it heats up again really quickly and it changes colour as the temperature changes. Also it beeps when it reaches temp, and beeps when it does auto shut-off, so if you hear it beep for auto and you want to iron again in a couple of minutes you can shake it and it's back on again. Not too exi either - $70? about 6 or 7 years ago and still going strong.

Sarah
jak10
Posted 2012-02-21 9:36 AM (#80266 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I had an old Rowenta for about 30 years. Sent it in to get it fixes once, but it finally fell apart in pieces even thought it wasn't dropped. I have had other irons over the years. Didn't like any of them. I read some previous posts about Rowenta spitting, etc, but on the day I needed the new one, the local Boston Store had the Pro on sale for $99.00. I love it, except for how the water chamber opens. Have had no spitting, leaking, brown spots etc. Perhaps they improved it since a couple of years ago. I remember some of you saying that you complained to them. JoAnn
PCMomwad
Posted 2012-02-26 12:36 AM (#80321 - in reply to #80257)

Extreme Veteran

My current iron is the Digital Velocity. It's not the cheapest, nor is it terribly expensive. (use a Joann's coupon). It holds more water than most home irons, steams nicely, and you can OVERRIDE the auto shutoff!

I had a EuroSteam steam generator iron I bought at a Sewing Show. Well, I had 3 over several years because none of them kept working right. Loved the dry steam, but hated everything else about the iron. Getting the iron fixed/replaced wasn't easy, either. I've noticed they no longer attend shows and that's a good thing.

My first Rowenta was a dog and my second only lasted a year. I' used the same Black & Decker heavily for 20 years so I've never tried a Rowenta again.
SueC56
Posted 2012-02-26 11:34 AM (#80323 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

Override for the auto shutoff?! That sounds great.
JillRN1995
Posted 2012-02-26 11:49 AM (#80324 - in reply to #80321)

Extreme Veteran

PCMomwad - 2012-02-26 12:36 AM

"My current iron is the Digital Velocity. It's not the cheapest, nor is it terribly expensive. (use a Joann's coupon). It holds more water than most home irons, steams nicely, and you can OVERRIDE the auto shutoff!"

I have the same iron but didn't know that I could override the auto shutoff. Please tell me how to do that.

Jill
margie2
Posted 2012-02-26 12:00 PM (#80325 - in reply to #80321)

Elite Veteran

Phyllis, when you override the auto shut-off, does that mean it does not shut off if it is in a horizontal position? I can override the shut off on my iron, but it only keeps the iron on if it is upright. As soon as I use it to iron, it shuts off after 15 seconds being horizontal. Safety feature - not so safe when my inclination it to throw it across the room.
JillRN1995
Posted 2012-02-26 2:49 PM (#80326 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I can answer that one since I have the same iron. It doesnt auto shutoff when horizontal unless it's been that way for a really long time.
JillRN1995
Posted 2012-02-26 2:49 PM (#80327 - in reply to #80230)

Extreme Veteran

I can answer that one since I have the same iron. It doesnt auto shutoff when horizontal unless it's been that way for a really long time.
vickys
Posted 2012-02-27 3:39 PM (#80355 - in reply to #80230)

Veteran

Margie!!!! You made me laugh. Thank you!

barbara
Posted 2012-02-28 6:22 PM (#80380 - in reply to #80325)

i would be ready to throw it across the room too.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.