Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are the MEN?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Men Who SewMessage format

dotmoll
Posted 2008-09-27 10:21 PM (#48439 - in reply to #639)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN?

Elite Veteran

Talk of boys in high school sewing clubs reminds me...seems to me that the advent of computers and online learning makes sewing and design much more accessible to boys, especially those who've lost their way in conventional schooling.

I've been mulling the future of a local teen who is just one of many kids who has just run out on life over the past several years (heaven knows he has his reasons). He's got an eye for style though, and I think I might just introduce him to my sewing machine next time he's here.

Edited by dotmoll 2008-09-27 10:21 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LadyRuna
Posted 2009-07-30 11:05 AM (#56960 - in reply to #639)

Veteran

Guess who taught me how to use a sewing machine and draft basic patterns?

...my husband.

He hasn't sewn for years - mostly because he's gotten into other hobbies - but when he did sew, he knew how to make beautiful French seams, apply bias tape / trim, and draft basice pattern (he was in the SCA - http://www.sca.org - and was making mostly 10th -12th century medieval garb...)
Seamstro
Posted 2009-07-30 7:10 PM (#56972 - in reply to #639)

I love being behind the machine! it really is a time for me to just let loos and concentrate on the project at hand. I find it funny because people say when they watch me sew, its really intense. Like im in another world. It just me and the garment! I LOVE IT!!!!
rowena___.
Posted 2009-07-30 7:23 PM (#56973 - in reply to #56972)

behind the machine?  when i sew, i work in front of the machine. 

Seamstro
Posted 2009-08-07 12:54 AM (#57225 - in reply to #639)

Touche! Your funny!!!
LI-teacher
Posted 2009-08-07 6:47 AM (#57226 - in reply to #639)

I took my Bernina into school one day a couple of years ago - the junior high Lego Team needed patches sewn onto their competition T-shirts. The high school robotics team boys that were there were in AWE of my machine - they especially loved the USB port.

I'm going to put in for that sewing club again - we'll see if it flies this year.

Kim
muskrat_gngr
Posted 2009-09-20 10:14 AM (#58398 - in reply to #639)

Hello all, I'm a guy (30) and novice at sewing and have had a few forays into actually sewing my own clothing and have taken a semester (half year in high school) of basic sewing. I thought that I would introduce myself here as I have been lurking for about an hour now and I will probably be back to ask for advice. I don't have pictures of my first couple of attempts as I feel they went wrong at the last possible moment to warrant a picture. Anywho, I have recently acquired TailorMade (for men) and have been puttering around with the application to become familiar with it prior to trying any of the patterns therein.

One of my biggest down falls has been keeping track of right-side vs wrong-side. I inevitably end up with a garment with a front showing the right-side and back showing the wrong-side of the selected fabric. But I don't recognize this fact until after I'm 90% completed with the project. Any tips?

I'm currently finishing my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, so my time for the next couple of months will be limited. But one must do something else every once and a while to keep from burning out on research and writing. That's where sewing comes in for me.
Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-20 10:40 AM (#58401 - in reply to #58398)

Extreme Veteran

Try putting a round sticker on the right side of each fabic piece to keep track of which side is which.  The colored dots that they sell at office supply stores work great for this.
rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-20 10:47 AM (#58402 - in reply to #58398)

welcome muskrat gngr!  you are the second man to introduce himself today, that is a record!

tip for keeping right side and wrong side straight:  choose fabric that has obvious right and wrong side.  :D  or sometimes if i choose a fabric that isn't obvious, i will choose the side i like best and then put a piece of painter's tape on the wrong side.  that also gives you a place to write the name of the piece if you think it would be clear to you later.

have you made the fitting garments yet?  have you let karen check your chart to make sure it doesn't have any obvious faults?  that will go a long way toward getting a good fit.

also, post your pictures and ask some questions!  there is a very good chance that we can help you repair a garment gone wrong even after the fact.

ursula
Posted 2009-09-20 4:10 PM (#58411 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

One of the best ways for me to keep track of right and wrong sides is to use a piece of dried soap (those leftover pieces that are really too small for anything) You can mark away to your heart's content and the soap comes away with a good brushing. I use them for marking darts and notches etc.
Ursula
dotmoll
Posted 2009-09-20 8:24 PM (#58418 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

I agree, especially with menswear fabrics, you're not the only one to get the right and wrong sides mixed up.

It must have been world tailoring day yesterday... I spotted a guy at our local bookshop reading up on a sewing guide too!
Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-20 11:57 PM (#58423 - in reply to #58402)

Extreme Veteran

Ohh, I like the painters tape idea, I have a TON of that stuff lying around.
muskrat_gngr
Posted 2009-09-26 4:24 PM (#58605 - in reply to #58402)

First, let me thank everyone for the helpful tips on keeping track of the right and wrong side. I don't know why I didn't think of using a dot or painters tape. I've been using my 'disappearing ink' pen which doesn't last long enough to complete the project.

Next, No I haven't worked with fitted garments before now, just store-bought patterns. So, how do I have Karen look at the measurements chart? Specifically how do I export? Where is the info on where to post and/or send?
margie2
Posted 2009-09-26 8:15 PM (#58608 - in reply to #58605)

Elite Veteran

On the Welcome Screen of your program, click on Program Help. From there go to Customer Care. That brings up a screen that enables you to send information to Karen. At the bottom you will see several "buttons". Click on Charts, copy the chart you want to send and paste it on the opened page and then select "email". Follow the directions that pop up.
Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2009-09-27 5:23 PM (#58621 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

"behind the sewing machine"  Sounds quite reasonable.  It has the same logic as "behind the steering wheel"  You're driving the machine!!
Seamstro
Posted 2009-09-29 12:58 AM (#58648 - in reply to #639)

Just dropping a line to all of the Pattern Master Family! I haven't Posted in a while and wanted to say hello! By the way, I have some great news! I bought a Serger today and had Massive fun using it. Also I Threaded it correctly ON THE FIRST TRY!!! I thought i might share here because my friends look at me like I'm speaking FRENCH when i speak about sewing! LOL You guys might appreciate that!
Fashions by Joellyn
Posted 2009-09-29 11:26 AM (#58656 - in reply to #58648)

You got your serger threaded correctly on the first try? CONGRATULATIONS! Glad to hear that you are enjoying using it. I don't know what I'd do without mine, as I use it all of the time!
Seamstro
Posted 2009-09-29 5:17 PM (#58659 - in reply to #639)

It was really exciting! Ill be sure to post my creations! Thanks again everyone for being here! This is the only place I can "Talk Sewing" and not be looked at like i have 6 heads! Thanks for being here!
cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-29 9:27 PM (#58666 - in reply to #58659)

Expert

Well don't look now Seamstro, but my shop is full of you 6 headed guys!  And I really think that threading the serger has to do with following instructions,---- and frankly----I firmly believe that  that is a guy thing!  I know, I know------most women complain about men skipping the instructions but experience leads me to believe that more men than women follow the directions. ( Maybe not when it comes to driving!)

I'll duck out now and hopefully avoid the the rotten tomatoe barrage! See you guys toward the end of October. We are in the midst of "The Three Musketeers"

I miss you all, but there are simply not enough hours in the day!

Coopie

Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-29 11:13 PM (#58673 - in reply to #58666)

Extreme Veteran

Coopie,

You may have something there on that threading thing.  I am lazy with mine, and make sure that I tie the thread ends together so that I don't have to re-thread the machine, and I have one of the sergers with the jet-air threading system!

rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-30 7:19 AM (#58680 - in reply to #639)

coopie, are your students mostly there voluntarily?  mine were mostly not, their shop hours are part of their opera performance curriculum.  i've had only one man come thru who happily sat at the machine, most of them treated them as if they had chainsaws attached.  only brian could thread a machine.

same at home.  rudi would rather cut my hair than try to thread one of my machines.  and he could stare at the manual all day and still not end up threading it.

cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-30 8:45 AM (#58682 - in reply to #58680)

Expert

My two guy assistants are here by choice. The others are part of the costume construction class. Required class on the freshman level. They all learn to stitch. And actually pretty well. Most men I find are willing to simply follow directions--- if they are sensible. I often write out the order of construction. The class tends to work on the simpler stuff. This show they will start by making period pants. Flat-lining correctly, some darts, front or back lacing, no zippers, a facing and plackets at some of the knees. And raglan sleeved shirts. But since there are a lot of these (it's a big show!) they are going to get very good at it. And relieve the faster stitchers for the more complicated stuff. Their labs run 2 hours twice a week so most will actually start and finish a garment.

Coopie

rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-30 9:05 AM (#58683 - in reply to #58682)

i'm designing and building the fall opera for vanderbilt--they hired me as a free-lancer for just this show--and the students have to do seven hours total for the run.  so for the month of october i have a lot of complete novices in the shop.

we're building fall front pants next week.  wheeeeeeeeee!  the singers are completely aghast at the idea that people actually WORE these pants--"fo reals?"  they thought i had made it up.

i usually only have one or two students who have any sewing experience, i have never had any who have patternmaking experience, so even if i write out the sewing sequence they still have to consult me after every step because most of them don't recognize the pieces of the garment or the seams.

cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-30 10:49 AM (#58684 - in reply to #58683)

Expert

Since the same group puts together the fitting muslins they at least have the right names of the pieces. And can usually recognize them. And a bit of ripper work usually gives them a heads up!

Thank God for PMT! I drafted doublet bodies and sleeves and pants----we will do all the flat pattern  at the table. It's faster and cleaner for this type of approach. We did front falls last Spring. Good luck!

Still It is a great deal of fun!

Coopie

Susan in Miami
Posted 2009-09-30 1:56 PM (#58687 - in reply to #58683)

Expert

Rowena,

What are front falls? I probably can guess correctly but would be happy to know for sure. I assume that the front of the pants are open for access and tied up to the waist for decency. <LOL>

Susan

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.