Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are the MEN?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Men Who SewMessage format

oldie
Posted 2006-05-03 4:21 AM (#16864 - in reply to #16824)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN? fyi

well, except for the bust dart in dr quinn, which would not have happened then (hollywood license I guess) they were all fun to work on. The designer on B5 was one of those "That seam needs to be 1/8" to the other side" or some such little thing, but we did it for her because her eye was spot on. You would move the seam or dart and you would see "costume" become "clothing" and be just right.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-05-05 9:50 AM (#16920 - in reply to #16797)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN?

Extreme Veteran

rowena___. - 2006-04-30 5:04 PM  there are a few other costumers on this board--look for "coopie", and "brenda" (she specializes in bras now but when we met she was a costumer), melissa who's username i have forgotten but her current avatar is a restoration costume. and the karen who is helping you with your program issues did ballet costumes, she and i met almost 12 years ago on a newsgroup for dance costumers.

I thought I'd post so you can see the restoration costume that rowena is talking about.  I finally put it up on one of my dressforms in my sewing room for inspiration.  Have a late 18th century corset under it that I made in a week-long class at the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Onterio a couple of years ago.

Good luck with TM.  I just bought it a couple of months ago so I could make some stuff for my husband, but haven't even loaded it on my computer yet.    I love the Wild Ginger software and I'm sure that once the bugs are worked out, you will too.

oldie
Posted 2006-05-06 4:49 PM (#16956 - in reply to #16920)

I ha e a freind that works in theater out that way-- she teaches at place called wright university- or did last thing I knew. She was in charge of sets and design there. Don't know if she did any costume but was good at that too.
djl
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-05-06 9:16 PM (#16960 - in reply to #16956)

Extreme Veteran

Wright State University is here in Dayton.  I haven't done too much with them so far, but hope to in the future.  They do some good stuff.  I've done more with Sinclair Community College in Dayton - everything from costume construction to actually being on stage (in the costume I designed and constructed, of course!)
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-18 1:35 PM (#23466 - in reply to #639)

Regular

I guess I am one of them. Just acquired TM 3. Had TM 2 for a while and made a few shirts with it. I am quite large and find it hard to find clothes my size, so learn how to make them myself. Sewing is kind of like woodworking with power tools but without the noise and dust. I think I'll go back to lurking and seeing what else is there on this site.

Dennis
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-10-18 9:41 PM (#23488 - in reply to #23466)

Extreme Veteran

Good to "see" you, Dennis. Don't be a lurker, jump right in, the waters fine! Would love to see the shirts you made. I bought TM3, and now my DH has been bugging me to make him some stuff. Haven't gotten around to it but soon....
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-19 10:28 AM (#23499 - in reply to #23488)

Regular

Here are few of my sewn items.

(RedPatriotic.JPG)

(CherryShirt.JPG)

(Quilt_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RedPatriotic.JPG (87KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments CherryShirt.JPG (46KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments Quilt_small.jpg (99KB - 3 downloads)
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-10-19 11:06 AM (#23504 - in reply to #23499)

Very nice, Dennis! Thanks for sharing these with us. It looks as though you are having great success with your program.
Trish
Posted 2006-10-19 1:21 PM (#23510 - in reply to #23466)

Expert

Sewing is kind of like woodworking with power tools but without the noise and dust.

Yeah, a sewing machine IS a power tool!!!  While the angles may be easier to measure in woodworking, the 'materials' are easier to handle in sewing!

Those are nice shirts!  Welcome...

Frederick
Posted 2006-10-19 2:45 PM (#23515 - in reply to #23499)

Welcome, Dennis. It's always good to see more men joining in.
We have had a couple who posted once or twice, never to be seen again.
I hope you become a regular.
You make fine shirts.
Clearly you are a craftsman.

ChristineBrown
Posted 2006-10-19 3:06 PM (#23516 - in reply to #23499)

Dennis, you mentioned in your first post about not always finding things in your size, but I see from your patriotic shirt that we share another reason--the 'out there' stuff that I am willing to wear is not always available. Patriotic prints, wild colours, odd fabrics that suit my taste to a T are all opened up to me by WG patterns. (As I type in my purple hedgehog interlock turtleneck polo!) Christine
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-19 5:38 PM (#23521 - in reply to #23516)

Regular

I would like to make things that are not made of big men. Go into the big men's store and can only find office shirts and coats. I get involved in Renassiance type situations, not the fairs, but similar. Have a pattern for 18th century clothes. My job doesn't require me to wear office shirts/coats, but at least something. I had visited the Sense & Sensibility forum which is Renaissance & 18th/19th century clothing website. Just to be different. You might have noticed me wearing a Xmas outfit toward the left. Have uploaded some more pics in the Albums section. Now to find someone to take pics of me wearing clothing I have made. I am in the process of making a olive green office type shirt, a red Wisconsin shirt with white embroidered pocket.

Now to make shorts for my YMCA activities to become slim. Also a coat, both winter & office type. But I am only an amateur sewer. Plan to continue on taking sewing classes this January. Taking a zipper class this month on the 28th AM. That is it for now. I also make pillows and doll clothing (AG).

Dennis
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-10-20 9:47 AM (#23556 - in reply to #23499)

Extreme Veteran

I love the shirt with stars! That looks like something my DH would love. I have some "Hawaiian" material, he loves loud Hawaiian shirts. Ok, I think you may have just inspired me to plan his shirt as my next project!
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-23 12:57 PM (#23740 - in reply to #23515)

Regular

Thank you. I always think I may do so & so shirts. Find all kinds of little booboos such as the pocket corners not rounded. I do these for myself to wear. Many people are surprised to hear that I make these. Attended a class recently on couture? pockets. The lady instructor wanted to know whose hubby I was. She was shocked that I was there to learn and was nobodys hubby. The ladies learn to use table saws, chain saws and hanging doors. Men learn how to sew for themselves and the ladies. Even to quilt. An article appeared in the local paper about a male quilter. PBS featured couple of married ladies lumberjacking. Don't need much in the way of muscles to cut down trees with modern equipment. Now back to lurking.

Dennis
KarlO
Posted 2006-11-01 4:42 AM (#24104 - in reply to #639)

Hello, here's one more to add to the list. I'm horribly new. I took up sewing for something to do that appealed for various reasons, not the least of which is being rather particular about some of what I wear. Not out of fashion, but for practical reasons.

I'm the clever sort, very good and experienced at learning from books. I find doing this for sewing rather a challenge, but more due to having to wade through far too much about women's clothes to find what I need. Even with Tailor Made. WHY is it that "wasitband construction" is not gender specific, but MEN's waistband construction is? Why are they different, anyway? Why are instructions for women's garments included with Tailor Made at all?

Practice is imporiving my sewing. I'm not the world's best at keeping that going in a straight line, but I see serious improvement. I'm currently working on a pants sloper, and struggling with my lack of experience. I've never made trousers before. I've just done some rather simple elastic band pants and shorts, and some underwear (stuff that hides the not-too-straight stiches, doncha know). I do hope I can keep at this and manage to get good enough to make a suit and dress shirt I'd not be ashamed of.

I am very frustrated by my location. I'm currently living in South Africa. Worse, in a small city with limited shopping. Terms for things are different. That applies to fabrics, notions and machines, too. They never call it a 'serger', always an 'overlocker'. It isn't 'terry', it's simply 'toweling'. (The only reason that got sorted was someone overheard me that understood what terry was!). Books aren't always readily available, either. The library doesn't have much, and I prefer buying books anyway.

Long ago, when I was a teen, I learned sewing in the Navy. This was enough to make it easy for me to dive in, since I'd been taught some very basics for using a machine (which was also very basic). A little bit of things I just knew from having seen my mother and sister do them. And a few tricks I learned because I used to do computer and accounting work in the garment industry, in NYC and LA.

Right now I'm sewing with an older Kenmore sewing machine and a new Brother serger. The serger was chosen purely for price, and not being the local ultra-cheap brand which has a horrible reputation. If I continue sewing I'll replace/enhance it with something more versatile (cover stitch, please!).
Susan in Miami
Posted 2006-11-01 6:55 AM (#24106 - in reply to #24104)

Expert

KarlO,

Welcome and good luck! You are very brave to dive in like this.

Susan, across the world in Miami, Florida, USA (isn't the internet wonderful?)

Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-11-01 7:53 AM (#24108 - in reply to #24104)

Hi, Karl! Nice to see another fellow here. I know that somewhere between 5 and 15% of sewists are male, but they seem to be underground, so to speak.

You might want to look for some good books that focus on Tailoring, which is how most mens' clothing is constructed. David Coffin has a great book on Shirtmaking, published by Threads/Taunton Press, and he now has an excellent book on CD on making pants. Here's a link to the Pants CD: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/booksandcds.pl?author=David...

And to the Shirtmaking book (and excellent companion video): http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070156.asp
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/060083.asp

Here's a site by a guy who sews: http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/

Judy Barlup has excellent booklets and video on tailoring, including pants with menswear techniques: http://www.uniquetechniques.com/Products/shopbooks/shopbooks.html

And finally, Kenneth King has an excellent book on CD on the Trouser Draft, which includes detailed sewing instruction:

http://kennethdking.com/httpwww.kennethdking.combook3.html#trouser

Since you are one who can learn from books, this list ought to help you out a lot. Good luck!
Jumala
Posted 2006-11-01 1:31 PM (#24123 - in reply to #24104)

Regular

I agree with Karl as far as the garment construction instructions go. Why do we men need to know how to assemble a bra?

Dennis
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-01 1:55 PM (#24124 - in reply to #24123)

Indeed - most men I know are only interested in disassembling them!

Sorry, I tried to behave, I just couldn't...

Ceil
ChristineBrown
Posted 2006-11-01 2:21 PM (#24125 - in reply to #24123)

Well guys, most women who have Boutique don't need those instructions either! Lisa seems to have wound all the instructions she has from every program and bundles them into one. While a Curves person will never need some of the instructions from Celebrations and a TailorMade person might never need some of the Curves, it's kind of a nice way to get some free instruction just for the knowing of it. I also use TM and I do wish there were some more specific men's type instruction with it, but as other capable readers have pointed out, I do go afield to get my instructions. I have a couple of the resources mentioned by Karen, but will be seeking out others of them as you can never get too many books (and now CDs/DVDs come in that category too!) C.
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-01 2:33 PM (#24126 - in reply to #639)

As long as I'm chiming in, I might as well say something useful, I guess...

The Coffin Shirtmaking book is all over half.com for under 15.00. I didn't find the companion video there, however. I have it and it is very helpful to watch him do things like sleeve plackets and collar bands. His illustrations are okay, but not great, so the video is really nice to have.

Ceil
Beth in Wichita
Posted 2006-11-01 3:13 PM (#24127 - in reply to #24104)

Elite Veteran

Good to have you here.  You never know when the extra info in the instructions might come in handy. True, the chances you'll make a bra (at least for yourself) are slim to none.  On the other hand, I learned to put a fly zipper in my pants many moons ago when my mom was in the midst of a double knit men's pants marathon. (That marathon included teaching my very tall, very skinny brother to sew his own.) The men's instructions were fantastic. I'm glad she had them.

As to waistbands - yes there are a couple of differences. Women's waistbands are sewn all in one piece. Men's are sewn to each half of the garment before the center back seam is sewn.  This has the wonderful effect of making them easy to alter. 

It's too bad you have to deal with the language "ifference".  Don't hesitate to ask.  We may not be in South Africa, but we can do a lot with the internet & photos.

Like the Disney ride says, "It's a small world after all!"

Beth
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-11-01 4:33 PM (#24132 - in reply to #24126)

The video for Shirtmaking, the year it came out, was awarded #1 in ALL videos that year, not just sewing-related ones. It's really well done, and you get the added benefit of hearing David's very calm voice giving you step-by-step instructions.
Frederick
Posted 2006-11-02 12:54 PM (#24151 - in reply to #24104)

KarlO,

Welcome. When I made my one and only Tailor Made pant sloper, I turned to the Reader's Digest "New Complete Guide to Sewing" for assembly instructions. It's my favorite basic sewing book. It has great illustrations and instructions for every kind of zipper except fly front. Being in a rush, and realizing it was only a sloper, I opted to use a center zipper like the ones I had set in to several skirts. Everything went well until I tried the garment on, only to discover that the hook closure was on the wrong side. I began searching through my sewing library and discovered that David Coffin's book was the only one in my collection with instructions for menswear.

I have a male visitor to my Blog ( sewmanlyblog.com ) who has been after me to provide sewing instructions for men who sew for themselves. If only producing instructional material for sewing were my full time occupation. Unfortunately, I have a real job, which really interferes with my free time ;-)

Regarding your sewing skills, I had great success with this approach. I would buy enough fabric to have plenty of scrap. I would practice any stitch I had never done before, until I got it just right. Only then would I attempt the stitch on the project. This was particularly helpful when working with fabrics I found difficult to control.

Stick with it, KarlO. It will be worth it in the end.
rowena___.
Posted 2006-11-02 1:05 PM (#24152 - in reply to #24151)

Frederick - 2006-11-02 11:54 AM
I have a male visitor to my Blog ( sewmanlyblog.com ) who has been after me to provide sewing instructions for men who sew for themselves.

i don't understand this request--sewing is sewing, it isn't different for men than for women. you still have to understand seams, grainline, closures, interfacings, etc. the only difference is application.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.