Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are the MEN?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Men Who SewMessage format

Tall Karen
Posted 2005-07-23 10:45 PM (#639)
Subject: Where are the MEN?

Extreme Veteran

I wanted to meet the MEN who sew and no one has posted!!!
I'll check back.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-23 11:15 PM (#648 - in reply to #639)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN?

Tall Karen - 2005-07-23 8:45 PMI wanted to meet the MEN who sew and no one has posted!!! I'll check back.....

Hi Karen, I'm here, just got a chance to check out the forum to see todays changes and saw your (cahllenge? :-) ) comment. I'm currently into quilting, not clothing sewing, but hope to change that soon!! Been sewing in it's many forms for 25 (omigosh 25?) years.

Frank
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-23 11:17 PM (#649 - in reply to #648)

BTW I can spell challenge, see? ;-)
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-24 2:01 PM (#767 - in reply to #648)

I've had TM from V2, how it's changed, hardly recognizable as the same product, but still get the same outstanding customer service (thanks to Lisa, Paul, and the Karens)
Pam~OffTheCuff~
Posted 2005-07-25 5:10 AM (#940 - in reply to #639)

"Where are the MEN"

...a question I've often asked.....

Pam
lensew
Posted 2005-07-25 6:49 PM (#1134 - in reply to #940)

In answer to your query--Where are the men. Here's one answer, I'm sitting here quite befuddled by the new Forums. Being an old dog this is a new trick and I do miss the Patternmaster posts. Although there seemed to be very little regarding TailorMade issues, I was able to learn a lot on other sewing issues, i.e. inserting a zipper, etc.

I will definately miss your informative posts, at least I have your Blog to check into once in a while. Good luck with your medical issues. I start Radiology in two weeks.
Ceil Moore
Posted 2005-07-26 12:07 PM (#1258 - in reply to #1134)

Okay, I'm not a man, despite all the offers I get to enlarge my penis size. I do have Tailor Made, though, and got as far as making two really terrible shirt slopers for BF and a Friend. I really do want to make men's shirts, and Pam, you have been endless inspiration to me (on lots of topics, here and over on Sewzine.) Both BF Ian and Friend Fred have HOT bodies and will be great fun to dress! Ian will never wear anything that I make, I konw that my skills will never be high enough, but Fred has his first Real Job as a teacher and needs some button-up shirts. I'm thinking of using that nice rayon that Dharma sells prepared for dying, and he can pick his own wild colors. It will be soft enough to suit him, after 42 years of wearing Tshirts, and he will dig picking his own, albeit solid, colors.

Ceil
Kelly-AnneH
Posted 2005-07-26 12:21 PM (#1260 - in reply to #1258)

Hold it there, Ceil - if I can learn to make a shirt anyone can! Start with buttoned casual shirts and make some mistakes - you can do it! I still have a mental block when it comes to collars with stands, but Lovey wears the 1 shirt I finished EVERY Sunday and once a week for work. I'm almost finished the second, so now he'll be able to alternate. lol

This second one is going faster than the first, since I don't have to think my way through every single step. Once it's done I'm going to cut out several that will use the same colour of thread and get a production line going. I have enough books on CD from the library now to see me through several shirts. :o)

Frederick
Posted 2005-07-26 6:43 PM (#1342 - in reply to #639)

Hi, it's Fred, another of the "Men Who Sew".
While I've still been hanging around the List, I have checked out a few of the forums, as well. This is my first contribution.

I am in the process of adding two more guys to the ranks of men who sew. I have given free basic sewing lessons to two men from my office. Each made a skirt for his wife. This was their very first sewing experience and you would not believe how well their projects turned out. I will be posting pictures to the Albums soon. I'm also giving each of them a free copy of PMB. I expect you will find them signing in to this forum before long.

Have a godet,
Fred

Edited by Frederick 2005-07-26 6:45 PM
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2005-07-26 9:50 PM (#1374 - in reply to #1342)

Hi, Fred, welcome to the forum! I was wondering when you'd join us. 

Love your avatar! How did you do that? TIA

SewPatrick
Posted 2005-07-26 11:23 PM (#1385 - in reply to #639)

Hi, I own Tailor Made and live in Phoenix, AZ. I sew for myself and ocassionally do gifts of clothing, etc. for others. I sew my own vests, shirts, jackets, costumes and am working on a sloper for pants. I have enjoyed the PatternMasterChatter and am just wondering around here getting used to everything. I think this will be a great way to find just what we're looking for and calm my mail box down some .
Trish
Posted 2005-07-27 12:50 AM (#1391 - in reply to #1342)

Expert

Fred,

Love the animated GIF!  I wanted to do one of me 'drinking tea'....never got it done, though!  'At the sewing machine' is a much better idea...so "on topic"!

GJackson
Posted 2005-07-27 9:22 PM (#1541 - in reply to #1342)

Hey, You really are a man that sews. I could see you sewing the whole time I was reading your message. How did you do that? Gloria
Jane in KC
Posted 2005-07-27 10:41 PM (#1555 - in reply to #639)

Yes, please tell us how to post an animated avatar (I guess I want to know how to animate it in the first place).  Thanks.  Wow, I've learned a lot on this forum!
Sonja G
Posted 2005-07-30 2:02 PM (#2018 - in reply to #1258)

Ceil Moore - 2005-07-26 11:07 AM

Okay, I'm not a man, despite all the offers I get to enlarge my penis size.

Ceil

Oh, Ceil, I loud out loud at this . . . spelled it for emphasis . . .

Sonja
Willie Mae
Posted 2006-04-02 1:50 PM (#15605 - in reply to #1258)

Ceil, I am not a man either but since my name is Willie Mae people tend to not see the Mae and send me all of that garbage address to Mr. I know that this is late but I have not been up to checking out the forum until now. I love all of the threads that I have read so far.

Thanks to everyone!
Mariette Rose
Posted 2006-04-12 10:55 PM (#16070 - in reply to #639)

I just saw this post.

Arthur E Arfons, now in his 80's in Akron, Ohio sews. Some of you older people will know him as The Green Monster. Art had several race cars by the name Green Monster, as well as a boat. He held the Land Speed Record back in the 1960's and achieved speeds well over 600 miles per hour at the Bonneville Salt Flats. His boat also exceeded all speed records on Lake Mead.

He started sewing by making the parachutes he used in his race cars. When his daughter was born, after several sons, and she became a teenager, he started sewing for her. So, here's a man who has been sewing for many, many years. And one heck of a racer to boot!!!! And one note of interest---in 1967 or 1968, I can't remember exactly right now, Art crashed at Bonneville at 630 MPH and walked away from the crash. Of course, he walked to an ambulance but he walked none the less and left the hospital the next day, after a thorough check up!

Mariette
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 2:41 PM (#16787 - in reply to #639)

Well, here's another one, thoughI have been accused of being that ratty little dog that never let's go of the rope! lol.
I just got TM (that's tailor made, not transendental meditation ;) )and have run itno several issues many of which a woman named Karen is hunting down. SOme are problems some may well be I just don't know the program yet. But TM is evidently going to be "the rope" and I the little fiesty dog that pulls till I get it right.

SO if youre all ready for lots of question, I may post here or on the TM threads.
dave
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-04-30 2:45 PM (#16788 - in reply to #16787)

Welcome, Dave! We'll see what we can do to help you with your new program.

(A different Karen)
rowena___.
Posted 2006-04-30 2:57 PM (#16790 - in reply to #16788)

welcome dave!

go ahead and start posting questions, i bet we can help you with most of them.
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 4:44 PM (#16794 - in reply to #639)

Most "challenges" right now have to do with heretofor unknown restrictions to lengths (which WG said they will check on) some inability to choose different options that should be available(agin they said they are checking).
It seems most of the effort is put into the women's system-- and ladies you have LOTS of options the mens system doesn't but should. I don't want to say anything negative about the folks that run it as they DO say they will check it and get back so, that said, I found that many coat styles have restrictions on how long you can make them. Being tall and ergo one of the reasons I bought it was for "non" standard sizing I was disappointed when I found that a jacket couldn't be more than 38 inches long. that's barely to my knuckles let along the long coat I was thinking about.so Karen is checking it out and found a few glitches. In the meantime I will make a sloper as time permits and try it on.
Ideally in the future I want to make patterns that I can plug in the numbers, print and sell to clients. I may even be able to justify a wide format printer if it all works out.

Another question? is there a pattern/style exchange around? It maybe beneficial to everyone to see how other work, how their styles compare and yes, some of you have put up puctures of great stuff I would like to make for myself without re inventing the wheel.

djl
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 4:55 PM (#16796 - in reply to #639)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN? fyi

Just thought I should preface (in hindsight) what i do otherwise.
current toys include
sewing machine, embroidery machine, four knitting machines, two weaving looms, three spinning wheels, a laser engraver and I'm not afraid to use them

I am sure there's other stuff around, friends like to come to my house to "play with the toys" or watch the coton grow on my balcony.
I went to boston university where I was in the MFA program for technical theater -- which is fancy for "everything related to producing costumes and accessories" including flat patterning, draping, tailoring, millenery (i never spell that one right, but it's hats) etc. Best school, hard classes, but you learn far more than you realize when some odd tidbit resurfaces fifteen years later and someone goes "where did you learn THAT" LOL
I just want a program that let's me be as "star trekkie with a replicator lazy" as I can be. I sew for fun now not a living.I did work for quite a while in one of the top union costume shops in the film industry (we did babylon 5 some star trek, Dr. quinn and other stuff too long forgotten).
Ok, stop blowing my long ago horn, onward and upward.
dave
rowena___.
Posted 2006-04-30 5:04 PM (#16797 - in reply to #16794)

oldie - 2006-04-30 3:44 PM
I found that many coat styles have restrictions on how long you can make them. Being tall and ergo one of the reasons I bought it was for "non" standard sizing I was disappointed when I found that a jacket couldn't be more than 38 inches long. that's barely to my knuckles let along the long coat I was thinking about.so Karen is checking it out and found a few glitches.

i'm glad you are having karen check, because i can't duplicate this problem. i am able to draft a jacket/coat 45" long.

Ideally in the future I want to make original patterns that I can plug in the numbers, print and sell to clients. I may even be able to justify a wide format printer if it all works out.

i hate to break it to you, but selling the WG patterns is not allowed. you can sell patterns you draft yourself, using the CAD program, but not patterns from the drafter. for this purpose, you should invest in cameo, which is for drafting, grading, making markers, etc.

i have a plotter at work, but truthfully i use the desktop printer as much as the plotter because i'm usually just running off one pattern piece or two. i use the plotter for things like historical pieces.

edited here to add this: since you know how to do flat patterning, you should pop over to fashion design online, where lisa shanley and i teach how to do flat patterning using a CAD engine. it is MUCH different from paper patterning--the processes often go in different order, and some things are automated already within the pattern editor.

Another question? is there a pattern/style exchange around? It maybe beneficial to everyone to see how other work, how their styles compare and yes, some of you have put up puctures of great stuff I would like to make for myself without re inventing the wheel.

we don't have a formal pattern exchange, but generally when someone wants to know how something was created, all he/she has to do is ask and the person who created the pattern will usually respond generously.

oh, i wanted to mention that i am the costumer for the vanderbilt opera theatre, and my husband is the TD for the martha rivers ingram center for the performing arts. neither of us have degrees, but we have 45 years combined experience, so people hire us anyway.

there are a few other costumers on this board--look for "coopie", and "brenda" (she specializes in bras now but when we met she was a costumer), melissa who's username i have forgotten but her current avatar is a restoration costume. and the karen who is helping you with your program issues did ballet costumes, she and i met almost 12 years ago on a newsgroup for dance costumers.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2006-04-30 6:43 PM (#16806 - in reply to #639)

Tech Support

The length is something going on and off. I have put it on the fix list.
Brenda
Posted 2006-05-01 7:03 PM (#16824 - in reply to #16796)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN? fyi

Extreme Veteran

oldie - 2006-04-30 4:55 PM

II just want a program that let's me be as "star trekkie with a replicator lazy" as I can be. I sew for fun now not a living.I did work for quite a while in one of the top union costume shops in the film industry (we did babylon 5 some star trek, Dr. quinn and other stuff too long forgotten).
Ok, stop blowing my long ago horn, onward and upward.
dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to our group! I absolutely LOVED the costumes for Babylon 5, Star Trek and Dr.Quinn, not to mention the series themselves. Nice to know someone who helped create that magic.

I remember having the same issue with length of men's coats in TM a long time ago and passing it on to Lisa. I just went ahead and finished it by hand. It was a long ratty "housecoat" with a big fur collar for Fagin in Oliver. Since I haven't made anything long for my male actors in recent shows, I didn't realized the glitch was still there. I know it'll get fixed.

We just need more men sewing or more women sewing for their men to track down these things.

Although I do mostly bras now, I still do costumes every fall. This fall it's going to be a Christmas Carol, the Musical. Just got the notice for auditions to take place this month. I guess I'll be using TM this fall for sure with the period pieces. It would be really nice if the Historical Costume program were ready by then but I think I may be hoping for too much too soon.

HUgs
Brenda
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.