Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greist the buttonholer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

mickeygirl
Posted 2012-01-31 9:45 AM (#80037)
Subject: Greist the buttonholer

Veteran

I bought this Greist the buttonholer gadget at a thrift shop. I think that it will fit my sewing machine.

I do have a three/four step buttonhole feature on my machine only I find I can NEVER get the buttonholes all the same length. I have tried different marking techniques and sewing forward first etc. I am rather about trying this thing out.

The fabric is supposed to move, not the needle. The gadget clamps onto the needle/foot and has cams that move through the shape. You pick the cam to fit the size of buttonhole you want. So I guess I would have to set to straight stitch and a small stitch length.

Does anyone else have any experience using this device on a Husquvarna/viking machine?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
margie2
Posted 2012-01-31 10:43 AM (#80038 - in reply to #80037)
Subject: RE: Greist the buttonholer

Elite Veteran

I don't have a Husquvarna/Viking machine, but I do know about buttonholers. If you can use it depends upon several things. Buttonholers are made for specific type machines - low shank, high shank, slant shank, etc. Usually on the end of the box, it will tell you the model of the buttonholer. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not. You have to know what the model will fit. Do you have the box? Sometimes the information is stamped into the metal where the buttonholer attaches to the machine.

Buttonholers need to be serviced just like machines. You need to remove the top, clean and oil the moving parts. Don't use a lot of oil and be sure to wipe excess off.

To use the buttonholer, you need to be able to drop your feeddogs or in some cases, put a cover over the feed dogs. I suspect your machine is new enough to drop the feeddogs.

Did instructions come with the buttonholer?

You are right that they will make very good consistent buttonholes.

Towanda
Posted 2012-01-31 12:37 PM (#80039 - in reply to #80037)

Regular

I bought a vintage machine for my buttonholer. I'm not comfortable using it on an electronic machine. Check out Patternreview.com. There are some threads about buttonholers under the sewing machine section.
Grandma C
Posted 2012-02-01 12:58 AM (#80044 - in reply to #80037)

Elite Veteran

I have a very old Singer buttonholer and had no machine that would fit it. My DGS bought me a Singer slant o matic machine at a yard sale for $2 and guess what? The machine and buttonholer work together so I have the very ugly old abused sewing machien under mysewing table out of the way. Just waiting to make the button holes on my MOG dress when I get it made. I hope your buttonholer fits your machine. I know mine makes great button holes so much nicer thatn any built in machine buttonhole stitch I have come across.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.