Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sewing with a plan -- lets try it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> SWAP - Sewing with a PlanMessage format

mickeygirl
Posted 2012-01-26 3:39 PM (#79964)
Subject: Sewing with a plan -- lets try it!

Veteran

Sewing with a plan. Sounds challenging. I tend to stash. So now the cash flow is low and the stash is big -- only allowable purchases should be notions that are required.

1. decide what to sew by need or event.
- I need some brown leggings to match my tunic so that will be cut out soon. no deadline

2. try to match up patterns to what you have in your stash or match up patterns to fabric.
- I got two metres of slinky knit fabric to make a skirt. I just cannot decide to make a gored skirt or just straight elastic waisted. I am trying to understand how I have to cut out this fabric and how it is going to behave.

3. organize and record what you have so you do not duplicate.
- I found this app where you can take a photo of patterns or fabric and record other details. might make shopping easier. You could make a swatch book for easier colour matching.

4. have a time set out in your schedule just for sewing
- is that going to happen? Usually it does when there is a deadline.

5. have a special area for sewing and keeping your tools organized.
- well I used to have a space but it has been taken over by computers. Help!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anniewear
Posted 2012-01-26 5:22 PM (#79966 - in reply to #79964)
Subject: RE: Sewing with a plan -- lets try it!

The "sewing with a plan" idea makes sew much sense. Unfortunately my stash doesn't play by those rules.
Instead of sticking with a main color and accents it is all over the place.

Where did you find the app and it it only for the Apple products?

Ann
kattie1jw
Posted 2012-01-26 5:40 PM (#79970 - in reply to #79964)

#2 Slinky, you can buy liquid starch from most grocery stores. Mix with enough water to cover your slinky fabric and let soak, then either squeeze the water out or try using the spin cycle on you washer. Toss in dryer until just damp then drape over shower rod to finish drying and allow the slinky to stretch itself.

Don't use a rinse cycle, you want heavy startch in the fabric. This will make it much easier to cut and sew, acts more like a woven fabric.

You can rinse and dry when the garment is made unless you like stiff skirts. LOL

Brenda in Olathe

magenta
Posted 2012-01-28 10:59 PM (#80011 - in reply to #79964)

Extreme Veteran

This isn't sewing with a plan exactly, but I have joined a group www.sewweekly.com. There is a weekly challenge and some members, including myself have committed to not buying clothes from stores (thrift stores excluded!) Only buying shoes and undies new. Also trying to use as much as possible from stash. I piked out on this weeks challenge though as finishing outfit for Grand daughter before she is too big to fit into it. Next week is 'Down Under' - sewing for your opposite season and the following week is UFO's - Have a lot of choices there! I spend too much time thinking about what I'd like to sew and not enough time sewing, so this project is helping me to focus. Your sewing machine will not explode if you miss out on the odd challenge - at least I don't think so!

Sarah
mickeygirl
Posted 2012-01-31 9:40 AM (#80036 - in reply to #79964)

Veteran

The app is patternpal http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/16901/take-a-free-trial-of-patt...
The free version only lets you put in about five patterns.

I used to make a list and carry it in my bag with me when I was shopping. Sometimes I print out a copy of the pattern back from the company website when I am only shopping with a few patterns in mind.

I am trying spray starch since that is what I have. I put the fabric over a towel rack in my shower and sprayed it. Hopefully that will be less mess although I will have to clean the shower now to avoid slipping.

That club sew weekly sounds great. I am trying not to buy anything new except maybe a few t-shirts. I would put socks on the the list too.

Recyling clothing is entirely possible. I even made skirts from old jeans, baby clothes from old adult clothing, and an apron from an old dress.

So the plan is to cut out a pair of leggings and the slinky skirt (flared two pieces, elastic waist decided) this week and hopefully finish sewing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.