Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with short flange sleeve construction
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Garment ConstructionMessage format

Kathy in Cincinnati
Posted 2012-01-24 10:22 AM (#79931)
Subject: Help with short flange sleeve construction

Veteran

I thought I'd try this sleeve for a PJ top, just for fun. There are two pieces, one is a square which I believe you fold in half and sew to the top of the armscye, the other is a bias strip for a facing. What I can't figure out is -- are you supposed to sew the bias strip to the side of the square piece, or somehow sew the facing strip around the entire sleeve, or ? In my reading of the construction sheet, I can't see where it makes this clear one way or the other. Anyone else tried this Kathy in Cincinnati
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wheelyfeet
Posted 2012-01-24 12:53 PM (#79935 - in reply to #79931)
Subject: RE: Help with short flange sleeve construction

Regular

I think the flange is only attached at the armhole seam. The length of the facing indicates, to me, that you would use it to face the armhole. Construction steps would be to fold the flange right sides together, sew the two edge seam, turn it right side out. Lay the flange over the shoulder, public side to public side of bodice, raw edges together, then apply the facing around the entire armhole edge with the flange between.

Debra
Kathy in Cincinnati
Posted 2012-01-25 2:30 PM (#79954 - in reply to #79935)

Veteran

After sleeping on the problem, this is what I thgouht as well. Now to see if the facing piece is long enough to go around the entire armscye. I have cut several pieces longer just in case. We'll see. kathy in Cincinnati
dotmoll
Posted 2012-01-26 8:32 AM (#79960 - in reply to #79931)

Elite Veteran

As far as I remember, I bound the armhole first, and then enclosed any messy edges in the folded-over flange sleeve. It's not long enough to bind the entire armscye, just fits in under the flange. So: sew the flange ends, turn, attach one side to shoulder. Bind lower armscye with bias strip. Catch or sew underside of flange, sweeping everything unsightly under the carpet as you go.

Can't remember what I used it on, though...

Edited by dotmoll 2012-01-26 8:35 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2017 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.