Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help with alteration
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

Marilyn in Oviedo Fl
Posted 2011-09-06 8:23 PM (#77724)
Subject: help with alteration

Veteran

Hi, my granddaughter's cheer friend doesn't like her cheer skirt. She has a big caboose and the skirt is the required length in back but the front hangs 2 full inches too long. My granddaughter told her I would fix it for her. Would the correct way to do this be to remove the waist band and pull up the front, and dart out the excess in the waist and replace the waist band. The waist band does fit now. The front has decorative banding around the bottom and pleats, so I don't see any way to keep the band straight shortening it from the bottom. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Marilyn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beverly A.
Posted 2011-09-06 8:43 PM (#77728 - in reply to #77724)
Subject: RE: help with alteration

Elite Veteran

You alter a garment where the "problem" lives. In this case the problem lives at the waistline. Therefore, do remove the waistband in front-no need to remove the whole thing, raise the skirt the required amount, do whatever adjustments necessary and resew the waistband. I just got done doing this to an eight gore skirt but I have a dress form to help me. (see the "dress form" thread) One way to assure the hem is level is to put the skirt on the person, put a piece of elastic around her waist and pull the skirt up in front until it is level and mark with pins or chalk at the elastic. You can eye it or use a yardstick to measure the length from the floor up. About the only time you level a skirt at the bottom is if it is a circle skirt otherwise the alteration looks really unprofessional. This is not too difficult to do, just a little time consuming but the results are worth it.
Beverly A.
Marilyn in Oviedo Fl
Posted 2011-09-06 9:54 PM (#77730 - in reply to #77728)
Subject: RE: help with alteration

Veteran

Thanks, that's what I thought. I already have taken the waist band 3/4th off. I did measure from the floor that's how I knew that it was 2 inches to long. The skirt is for a preteen (11 years old). So it won't fit my dress form, and I don't own a kids one. I'm going to pretty much have to guess on the angle of the waist. I'll pull the waist and baste the band up the two inches in the front and angle it to the back.I will probably have to dart out the waist to fit the band. Hopefully the mom will be home tomorrow to where I can fit it on the child before finishing it.

Thanks again for confirming my thoughts. It's scary to work on something that can't be replaced.

Marilyn
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.