Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New pictures added to album
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Finished Garments - PublicMessage format

Mad Skater
Posted 2011-08-17 1:29 PM (#77404)
Subject: New pictures added to album

Regular

I have finally gotten around to updating my album. I now have a progression of my dress sloper in Slopers from the first sloper through dart corrections, through a final shortened sloper that fits.

Also in My Creations I have added my Make it Work dress and my Elf costume from last year's Polar Express skating Christmas program.

The Make it Work dress I call a comedy of errors. It started out with fabric that was not wide enough to cut the back panel. The lace was supposed to be put on after the dress was made and the dress fabric cut out from behind. I should have pieced the back first and then completed the dress as directed. However, stupid me tried to build the dress by attaching the lace to the bottom of a shortened dress, attach lace, build the bottom by piecing it (did I mention it is stripes both directions?) and then attaching it to the bottom of the lace. And I only had one shot at getting the piecing right on the bottom as I was almost out of fabric. I think I done good. I have to actually look at the inside of the dress to determine where I pieced it.

Anita
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sewhappy
Posted 2011-08-17 9:24 PM (#77422 - in reply to #77404)
Subject: RE: New pictures added to album

Extreme Veteran

Anita, your costumes are beautiful!

I had a flash back to when I was about 8 when I was performing in the Christmas ice show.
There was a bunch of us on the ice dresses as story books.
Essentially a black leotard and tights with front and back boards attached at the shoulder with wide fabric bands.
Our performance ended with us all joining hands and then snaking are way around the ice.  Guess who was at the end of this whip?  As we had no dress rehearsal, I was the lucky one to discover, to my horror, that if you fell there was no way to get back up again.  Spotlight guy was being a jerk as I was mercilessly dragged off the ice!

As you well know... design and fabric selection are critical for function!

Mad Skater
Posted 2011-08-17 9:49 PM (#77423 - in reply to #77404)

Regular

A lady friend of mine had a similar issue. She was skating to the Red Baron in a Snoopy costume that was borrowed from a local theater group. She never fell during any of her run-throughs and never even thought about it. But she did fall during her actual program and then had great difficulty getting back up again. Something to do with slick paws. She learned to always practice getting up from a fall in your costume at that competition.

And function is always an issue. Moves that you could do with your eyes closed become quite difficult in elaborate costumes like capes. I had to put a fastener on the front of the red polka dot dress and added a belt to make sure it with the added weight of the attached petticoat didn't go spinning when I did. And hats can often be quite difficult. I had a program a few years ago called butt crack (to the tune of Love Shack) (yes, it was raunchy, but it was for an all-adult competition) that had the plumber's butt built into it. I didn't actually make that costume, but I had to wear a NAPA baseball cap and I had to bobby pin AND double stick tape that thing to my head. The really funny part of that one was my first fitting when the seamstress determined that I had plenty of butt on my own and she was going to have to give my costume a butt reduction.
Sewhappy
Posted 2011-08-17 10:49 PM (#77425 - in reply to #77423)

Extreme Veteran

The really funny part of that one was my first fitting when the seamstress determined that I had plenty of butt on my own and she was going to have to give my costume a butt reduction.

Skater's butt.....all muscle!

I've always wanted to offer to make costumes for my niece in Alberta who skates competitively, but am afraid because I know this is a whole different animal than any other garment I have made.  It's not like she's just going to sleep in it or wear as an under garment!
My sister pays a lot for her custom dresses.
Mad Skater
Posted 2011-08-18 5:21 PM (#77432 - in reply to #77404)

Regular

Ah yes skater butt. I think I introduced Karen C to that with my sloper. I like mine, just wish I could get rid of the saddlebags and then it would be totally awesome, especially for someone my age. That is one reason I am looking forward to using this program. Would love to get a really good fitting pair of pants. I wear jeans all the time and almost always have to get them altered because to get them to fit the butt you end up with a gap at the top. But even after altering them, they still look a little funny, not sure why.

I know what you mean about making costumes for others. I make most of my own costumes, but I don't offer my skills to others for that very reason. We have a wonderful seamstress whose daughter skates and she makes extra money doing costumes for the skaters. She helps me out on occasion. But I have some friends who never seem completely satisfied, usually some sort of fit issue. I just don't want to go there because I know how disappointing it can be to have fit issues in a skating dress. The blue dress with the inserts doesn't fit me just right and I'm always tugging on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.