Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wild Ginger Software - Public -> PatternMaster Finished Garments - PublicMessage format

SueC56
Posted 2011-07-24 1:52 PM (#76826)
Subject: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Extreme Veteran

I am getting caught up on my garment photography, so you guys get three at once.  Just think, two fewer messages to deal with!

This is more like the Bad, the Okay and the Good, but that doesn't have the same ring.

#1 - Shorts (May) - "The Bad"

The main problem with the shorts is that I forgot to check the hem circumference and adjust it to fit my sturdy thighs.  I have started a split up the side to make them wearable.  These will be "gardening shorts".  Next time I will lower the waistband, too.  That is very high and doesn't like to stay there.

LESSON:  check the circumference of the hems before printing your patterns!

The zipper will get top stitched, too, as it tends not to lay flat.

I like the look of the "Western" style pocket, but I'd like a pocket that opens more from the side.  Another change for next time.

#2 - Gingham blouse (June) - "The Okay"

That more or less cured me of being scared of doing buttonholes. This blouse fits well, but the style is "classic" which means it doesn't have as much freedom of movement.  On this item, I forgot to account for the fact that I added cuffs, so the sleeves are too long.   

LESSON:  Make a decision about sleeve length if you are adding cuffs.

I tried the darted sleeve style and rather like the look, as well as the yoke and gathers on the front.  How do you like the double buttons? (darn, I forgot to button them all before the picture, a disadvantage to double buttons).  

This was my first venture into Pattern Editor.  I split off the front button band so that I could cut it on the bias.  

And oh, did you notice?  I put the cuffs on backwards.  Nope, I didn't think so.  I just roll them up one fold and they are the right length AND no one sees the cuffs.  Bingo!

#3 - Eyelet blouse (July) - "The Good"

Now this blouse is comfortable (Dress Shirt style)!  I'm learning about different sleeve shapes and how they contribute to freedom of movement vs fit.  No issues with the fit or construction on this blouse.  I did the pleats instead of the traditional darts just for fun.  I'm not fond of the fact that the make the top/back look a bit poofy, so I'll probably not use them on the back of a shirt again.  The shirt collar turned out fine with very little pain.

For as much as I like eyelet, I ended up lining the bodice with batiste as I'm not fond of lots of peek-a-boo holes.  I waffled about how to handle the lining, but ended up just basting it to the eyelet and sewing them as one. I was concerned about how it would drape, but it seems to have worked out fine!

DH says we need to go out somewhere fancy to eat so I can wear my new fancy blouse.  It's not THAT fancy, but sure, I'll be happy to put it on and go out to dinner.

Happy sewing, crafting, and gardening.

Sue

Edited by SueC56 2011-07-24 1:56 PM

(Shorts 2011 05.jpg)

(Gingham front angle 2011 06.jpg)

(Eyelet blouse angled 2011 07.jpg)

(Eyelet blouse back 2011 07.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shorts 2011 05.jpg (79KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Gingham front angle 2011 06.jpg (96KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Eyelet blouse angled 2011 07.jpg (79KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Eyelet blouse back 2011 07.JPG (78KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tall Karen
Posted 2011-07-24 4:28 PM (#76832 - in reply to #76826)
Subject: RE: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Extreme Veteran

I think they all look fabulous, even the shorts! Only you know all the mistakes.
Sewhappy
Posted 2011-07-24 4:56 PM (#76833 - in reply to #76826)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for this Sue,

Humorous and informative!
I surely won't remember all the tricks in my bag so far.
I think I may have to keep a file on things I have learned myself and from others and then somehow organize them into a usable form...probably best done on the computer and not on paper!

Grandma C
Posted 2011-07-24 5:57 PM (#76834 - in reply to #76826)

Elite Veteran

The gingham shirt is my favorite. Good job of sewing and designbing.
vickys
Posted 2011-07-25 10:34 AM (#76842 - in reply to #76826)

Veteran

You should be proud of yourself for all of your hard work and knowledge gained! I think all three look really good on you.

Thanks for posting.

Vicky in Texas
Trish
Posted 2011-07-26 1:15 AM (#76855 - in reply to #76826)

Expert

Sue, they all look good! I particularly like the blue check with the turned-up cuffs.
pamelac858
Posted 2011-07-30 11:11 AM (#77028 - in reply to #76826)

Elite Veteran

I love that checkered top! The scale of the print and the style are very becoming! I think it's a keeper and if it's not comfy, consider making another one with the changes you need to make it more wearable. It looks great!

Pam
Fashions by Joellyn
Posted 2011-07-30 10:44 PM (#77035 - in reply to #76826)

Good job on all three projects! I especially like the white blouse--very pretty and a nice fit!
SueC56
Posted 2011-07-30 11:11 PM (#77036 - in reply to #76826)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, guys.  Your encouragement is very much appreciated!  I really enjoy working on these projects.

If you remember, it was ill-fitting shorts that got me back into sewing, so my next project is another pair of shorts.  Should be interesting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.