Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

?lining burnout knits?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> Garment ConstructionMessage format

NancyM
Posted 2011-07-20 11:45 PM (#76739)
Subject: ?lining burnout knits?

Elite Veteran

Belinda, or anyone else out there who has worked with burnout knits, can you tell me how I might go about putting in a *partial* lining? DD wants a t-shirt lined to above the bust--she'd rather have that than wear the shirt over a separate cami. But (a) I'm not sure how to sew the lining in at the top (horizontal line from AH to AH) so the stitching isn't obtrusive; and (b) I'm not sure whether the burnout would bear the weight of a stretch lining. Have any of you lined burnout knits? Or mesh knits?

Thanks,
Nancy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Susan in Miami
Posted 2011-07-21 6:45 AM (#76740 - in reply to #76739)
Subject: RE: ?lining burnout knits?

Expert

Unless there is a seam above the bust then I would suggest making a duplicate of the tee out of a sheer knit or a tricot and hang it as the lining from the shoulders and neck but don't put any seams in at the bottom. You can make this sleeveless even if there are sleeves in your burnout tee. This kind of a built-in cami.

Susan

Grandma C
Posted 2011-07-21 10:06 AM (#76743 - in reply to #76739)

Elite Veteran

Just brainstorming here, Could you make the lining ending it above the bust and putting thin straps on it to the top of the shoulder stitching them at the shouder?
Belinda
Posted 2011-07-21 7:28 PM (#76751 - in reply to #76739)

Elite Veteran

Sorry Nancy I can't help much because I've never lined a burnout knit before. I always sew the fabric as is then wear something underneath. I buy burnout knits in the first place because I want the see-through look and the breathability of the fabric. Like you I would be worried about how lining will change the fabric/drape and if the fabric could bear the weight. I have lined mesh knits before but I believe they are completely different. With mesh I sew the main garment from a standard knit then effectively put the mesh on top. That is, I don't really "line" the garment.

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice. All I can say is it's not something I would try. The only thing I can think of is to cut both the front & back of the garment with a yoke and then use the fabric doubled for the lower half of the t-shirt.
NancyM
Posted 2011-07-22 12:48 PM (#76765 - in reply to #76739)

Elite Veteran

Thanks, all. Belinda, it's really comforting when the expert confirms your suspicions that something is unworkable. I have just told DD to buy a cami. Don't think the off-white one I made last winter (from a remnant of Sophia knit) is slippery enough for the garment to slide easily over it.

Nancy
Patti
Posted 2011-07-22 2:43 PM (#76768 - in reply to #76765)

Extreme Veteran

NancyM - 2011-07-22 11:48 AM

Thanks, all. Belinda, it's really comforting when the expert confirms your suspicions that something is unworkable. I have just told DD to buy a cami. Don't think the off-white one I made last winter (from a remnant of Sophia knit) is slippery enough for the garment to slide easily over it.

Nancy

I don't know what color your burnout is, but I just saw fabulous cranberry silk knit for $2/yd at fabricmart.com. Not my color or I would have bought it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.