Wild Ginger Software Forums
Wild Ginger Software Forums
Search Forums | Wiki | WG TV | Newsletter | Blog | Pinterest | Albums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mascot Costume
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   All Things Sewing - Public -> All Things Sewing General DiscussionMessage format

LorIKC
Posted 2011-06-22 4:41 PM (#76098)
Subject: Mascot Costume

Regular

I ran into a woman today in a quilt shop looking for someone to make a $100 bill mascot costume. I'm crazy enough to consider doing it but need some ideas to get the creative juices flowing on it. She had a logo on a business card of what she wants. It's basically a giant bill with muscular arms. Since she wants a mascot, I'm assuming she wants the costume to extend above the wearer's head w/ an opening for the face. Any thoughts on how to make a frame to hold things up above the wearer's head? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Welmoed
Posted 2011-06-22 6:34 PM (#76103 - in reply to #76098)
Subject: RE: Mascot Costume

Elite Veteran

What a challenge! My first thought would be to use a lightweight fabric to create the outer costume, with rod pockets along each of the edges, and run shock-corded tent poles through the sleeves to keep the costume rigid. The wearer needs a harness that secures the costume well; it should fasten around the waist and go over the shoulders. Not sure how you'd attach it. There's a special black fabric that's used to allow wearers to see out without letting people see in; a Google search should turn it up.

I would run a zipper all the way down one of the long seams to allow the handler to help the wearer into the suit. If the suit will be worn outside on warm days, you should also allow for a battery-operated fan attached to the harness to give the wearer some comfort.

As for the decoration, it's probably easiest to just paint the money design onto the fabric with fabric paints.

Hope this provides a starting point!

--Welmoed
cindysews
Posted 2011-06-22 8:27 PM (#76106 - in reply to #76098)

Elite Veteran

You should use foam, make a wire frame, glue foam, paint...be done. This will be lighter and easier to work with. Then make the under-garment with the muscular arms out of a stretch spandex, do a core and then add the ammenities in an outer sleeve on the core. That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Cindy
LorIKC
Posted 2011-06-22 9:59 PM (#76108 - in reply to #76098)

Regular

I found instructions for Popeye arms in a Burda WOF. The frame is more of a challenge but both of you have given me great ideas to start. I need to get more info from the woman making the request I'll get in touch with her tomorrow to get more details about her vision.

Thank you for the ideas!
Lori
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
© 1995-2018 Wild Ginger Software, Inc. All rights reserved.