Design Help - 1 of 2 designs
tam11045
Posted 2017-12-01 7:46 AM (#92371)
Subject: Design Help - 1 of 2 designs

New User

Hello

After a three-year sewing absence I am ready to get behind the machine again and make a new wardrobe for myself. My sewing skills are rusty, but I consider myself an intermediate sewer. As a designer I consider myself a beginner.

I have two shirts that I would love to duplicate for myself (my dimensions not exact to picture) and welcome any and all assistance/suggestions on how to design the attached shirt which to me, has a lot of details. I have PMB5, and in my attempt to duplicate the blouse I tried BLOUSE, RAGLAN, SINGLE BREASTED, VEE FRONT, JEWEL NECKLINE WITH FITTED SIDESEAM, FLARED HEMLINE SWEEP with STRAIGHT HEMLINE SHAPE. Sleeve is STRAIGHT ONE PIECE and I couldn't find the correct cuff.

The shirt itself seems to be more full in the photo than my design. I prefer the fullness of the shirt over the fitted of my design. I don't know how to make the overlap in the front greater without changing the entire shape of the final shirt and losing the upper "open v" of the neckline. The back of the shirt is a yoke and my design isn't. I can't figure out how to get the fullness, front shape and arm style with the yoke unless I manually cut/paste the pattern I design.

And finally for this design, the collar really throws me off. If I try to make a shirt with that collar then I lose the wrap front with open vee.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Tammy

(white shirt 1.jpg)

(white shirt 2.jpg)

(white shirt 3.jpg)

(white shirt 4 pmb5 design.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments white shirt 1.jpg (35KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments white shirt 2.jpg (29KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments white shirt 3.jpg (30KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments white shirt 4 pmb5 design.JPG (32KB - 4 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
familysewn
Posted 2017-12-04 9:17 AM (#92380 - in reply to #92371)
Subject: RE: Design Help - 1 of 2 designs

Veteran

This is a beautiful blouse. I was looking at this and playing around. I am absolutely and I mean absolutely not good at this! So this is just playing. I was looking at the 2 piece dress, kimono style,surplice top, empire length waist. . the skirt would be mini and shortened even further. you can see with your sloper on the amount that could be the band in front where your natural waist would have been. then for the back I would choose kimono, empire, gathered skirt, mini, shortened further. Sleeves would be cut shorter (manually) or also additional flare in Pe for a little more gathers, gathered and put into a longer cuff. I cant see if the collar is a convertible that comes to CF or is shortened back a ways. You would then have to combine the front and back from the 2 different designs. Would have to work with PE for sure .
Like I said just playing and I myself don't know how to go about combining 2 diff fronts and backs and the things to look for.

Hope Karen or Lisa weigh in on this. I wish there would be more exercises like this. Another person you might want to confer with would be Lisa Haase. She is on the forum and does do some exercises on YouTube. I know I'm not very much help, but I sure hope you find a solution because that is a very pretty blouse.

PS You could look into a fake yoke
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2017-12-04 9:31 AM (#92381 - in reply to #92371)
Subject: Re: Design Help - 1 of 2 designs

Tech Support

My approach is not an exact duplication but to look at a design and say "What is it I like about this design?"

For instance I don't like raglan sleeves, but it may the cross across the front that I like. May be the back.

A Surplice Dress with an Empire waist would be a start. You can adjust how high the waist goes up.