Need/Want a new sewing machine
margie2
Posted 2015-08-29 6:18 PM (#90231)
Subject: Need/Want a new sewing machine

Elite Veteran

I recently had my Bernina 1630 worked on to put it back into the best shape it could be - one new board, one reworked board, and some new mechanical parts. It works fine, now. It just doesn't feel like my machine any more. I feel like I am sewing on someone else's old machine. So, I am contemplating a new machine. I want another Bernina and have been looking at the 580 and the 740. I have researched both of them and have joined a couple groups on Yahoo. I am just trying to collect more information. I would love to hear from anyone who has either of these machines, or any of the other new Berninas.

margie2

Edited by margie2 2015-08-29 6:39 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TessainGabriola
Posted 2015-08-29 11:17 PM (#90233 - in reply to #90231)
Subject: Re: Need/Want a new sewing machine

Elite Veteran

Hi Margie,
I can't say specifically about Bernina, but last year I went through my store's second hand machines page. The store takes no responsibility for the machines, just that they were originally bought at the store and were serviced by the store (or something like that). It turned out that there were 3 people who each wanted to buy the others' machines and were all waiting for the first lady to buy her new one so they could buy the others! The machines were maybe 2 years old, the people just wanted bigger embroidery areas then what they each had. Who knew?

My point is that it is possible to find a good second hand high level machine so you don't have to choose. Good luck.

tessa
margie2
Posted 2015-08-30 12:52 PM (#90237 - in reply to #90233)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the excellent idea, Tessa. I did see a corner of my dealer's shop that had a few refurbished machines, but nothing as new as what I think I want. I will have to ask. I am also thinking about calling her tech to see what machines he has to work on the most.

The last machine I bought (my serger) took me a year or more to decide to buy. The same with my industrial. I tend to keep machines forever, so want to be sure I get the one I want in the first place.
sewsally
Posted 2015-08-31 11:15 AM (#90238 - in reply to #90231)

Elite Veteran

Be sure to test drive any machine you are considering. On fabric you typically use. If you want good button holes check that out too.
You probably knew that.
I also like to check to see if the menus make sense to me and are easy to navigate.

What serger did you get?
margie2
Posted 2015-08-31 12:25 PM (#90239 - in reply to #90238)

Elite Veteran

Sally, I bought a BabyLock Evolution. I was having trouble seeing to thread my old 20+ year serger. I thought the air threading would be helpful. It is. I have since had cataract surgery and that has made a great deal of difference in threading my machines.

I agree about the buttonholes. That is one thing the 1630 does not do well on actual garments. They look great on samples. The cutting space is so small that it is easy to cut the buttonhole threads. I did have a tech, a number of years ago, who was able to adjust that for me.

I know what I want in a machine...now if they would just let me build my own. I think a great commercial opportunity would be a "Build Your Own Machine", like "Build a Bear". The reason I am researching is the machine I want does not exist. I have to figure out what features I am willing to compromise on.
StMike
Posted 2015-08-31 4:57 PM (#90240 - in reply to #90231)

Extreme Veteran

The next machine I buy will have to rank very high in ability to make good buttonholes, the abiility to form perfectly straight stitches of all common lengths on all manner of fabrics, strong piercing power to go through at least eight layers of 13oz. denim, and the ability to take jeans top stitching thread in the bobbin. Hey, wait, I am talking about my 1960's Pfaff 262. Built like a German tank, weighs almost 40lbs., and runs as quietly as an old Lionel Electric Train. Can any new machine do as well? Excluding the industrial ones.
Grandma C
Posted 2015-09-01 1:18 AM (#90241 - in reply to #90231)

Elite Veteran

The old singer buttonhole attachment that I have for the Singer Slant o matic or the old one for my mothers treadle Singer machine made the very best buttonholes. I have the attachment still but not the machine.
vickys
Posted 2015-09-01 11:40 AM (#90242 - in reply to #90231)
Subject: RE: Need/Want a new sewing machine

Veteran

I have stopped using the buttonhole stitches on my Janome 11000 and use my embroidery capability on that machine to do buttonholes. I would practice doing the buttonholes on the exact fabric and they came out beautifully. Then when I went to make them in my garment, the weight (?) of the garment ALWAYS screwed them up. I tried everything I could think of until I finally just digitized buttonholes for various articles of clothing and do it that way. Perfect every time.
NancyM
Posted 2015-09-01 1:46 PM (#90243 - in reply to #90242)

Extreme Veteran

Vicky, I need more info. about this. I've had exactly the same problem on my Pfaff CV. (1) Can you refer me to online directions for digitizing buttonholes? (2) How do you hoop something like a single waistband buttonhole on a pair of pants or a skirt?

Thanks,
Nancy
Edwin
Posted 2015-09-01 10:15 PM (#90244 - in reply to #90231)

H'mm. I've just upgraded from a Husquvarna Emerald to an Husqvarna Opal 690Q; from manual to electronic. Lots of new goodies and better (faster) stitching - very nice. However no improvement in making 'automatic' buttonholes with the fancy plug in device - but better in making the buttonhole without the defice and just with the buttonhole other foot. Now, to become a better sewer!
sewsally
Posted 2015-09-02 11:01 AM (#90246 - in reply to #90231)

Elite Veteran

My old Brother 8500 (sewing/embr) makes fantastic buttonholes from the built in menu. No special programming needed.
Patti
Posted 2015-09-02 7:04 PM (#90251 - in reply to #90231)

Extreme Veteran

The Husqvarna Designer1 is a great machine. If you find one, it will be used as they've come out with fancier, and more expensive ones. I've had them all and wish that I' kept my D1. Beautiful buttonholes and features too numerous to list including very decent embroidery. Good luck, a tough decision.
Brenda
Posted 2015-09-02 8:12 PM (#90253 - in reply to #90251)

Extreme Veteran

I love my Husqvarna Designer 1 ! I got one of the first ones available way back when and have been warned that when/if the circuit board goes I'll be out of luck. Hopefully my machine will outlast me! I don't use it for the embroidery although I did some in the beginning. I just love the built in features for sewing and have always had good results with the buttonholes.

HUgs
Brenda
vickys
Posted 2015-09-03 2:21 PM (#90266 - in reply to #90243)

Veteran

Nancy,

I digitized my own buttonholes in Embird without any directions other than looking at how my machine stitches out its buttonhole stitch. I know you can buy fancy buttonholes at sites like Emblibrary, though.

I hoop a sticky stabilizer and stick my waistband end to it then use my basting stitch to both hold the waistband in place and verify that my garment did not shift during hooping. The whole process takes all of 5 minutes.

HTH

I'd be happy to share my digitized buttonhole with you if you need.
magenta
Posted 2015-11-06 1:31 AM (#90570 - in reply to #90231)

Extreme Veteran

My Janome MC9000 which I bought second-hand 9 years ago does fantastic buttonholes. I have had two button-hole 'emergencies' since I got the machine. I was trying to put a button-hole in the waistband of some very heavy denim jeans and the machine couldn't get over all the bumps. I made a blouse out of a beautiful fine cotton and accidently cut through the threads. Luckily I have found a lady at one of our local repair alteration shops who does exquisite hand-sewn button-holes for $10.
kselner
Posted 2015-11-07 9:20 AM (#90585 - in reply to #90231)

Regular

I am looking to for a new to me machine. Top stitching with various thread is important. Any feedback on the baby locks would greatly be appreciated or any other suggests.
Tall Karen
Posted 2015-11-07 11:04 AM (#90586 - in reply to #90231)

Extreme Veteran

I have loved my Brother Innovis.....I always thought Brothers were cheap, throw away machines and then I went to have my sewing machine serviced and looked at the showroom Brother Innovis...they demo-d it and I was intrigued...I bought a lower end Innovis and have since upgraded to top of the line. I've been very impressed with all it can do...they are BabyLocks but less expensive....Innovis are the machines sold by dealers, not Walmart, Costco, etc....They are computerized. And I have begun to embroider now too---new hobby! But, great for everyday sewing, quilting, crafts, etc.....smooth, good buttonholes, easy to thread--auto threader for old eyes! Built in dust cover.....so many well thought out little details! Have fun shopping.
margie2
Posted 2016-12-26 8:33 PM (#91739 - in reply to #90231)

Elite Veteran

I can't believe that it was August of last year when I started thinking about replacing my 1630 Bernina. It reached the point of not being reliable enough to trust that it would do what I expected it to do. I think I was dragging my feet about buying a new machine because I knew that none would fit into my old desk and I don't have enough room for one of those expanding desks.

I bought a new Bernina 790. What cinched the deal was that my dealer had the perfect desk for me. He has them custom made and the one on the floor was perfect for me. This was not what I started out to buy, but I was educated by a very experienced and knowledgeable service person. This machine is perfect for me. I have done business with this dealer in the past, even though it is a long way from home. I am teaching myself, right now, but may take the lessons later next year.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I do have vintage machines and could have used any of them, but I love technology.
SueC56
Posted 2016-12-27 11:04 PM (#91740 - in reply to #91739)

Extreme Veteran

Congrats! Enjoy your new machine and desk.