Sticky Help Us Help You
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-16 2:46 PM (#87824)
Subject: Help Us Help You

Administrator

Hi All,

Every now and then, we get phone calls and emails from potential customers asking if our PatternMaster software is user friendly. Of course, we think it is but we aren't the most objective and we cannot use the programs the way you all do. So, we are asking you, our customers, what do you think?

Is PatternMaster easy to use? Not the measuring, fitting, and sewing process but the actual use of the program - navigating the screens, the menus and toolbars, making styles choices and settings, printing and saving patterns, the help system, etc. What do you struggle with when trying to use the program? Are there features that work well? What features could we add or change that would make the program easier and more intuitive to use? How could we improve the overall process of creating and printing styles? We would really like your feedback but please be as specific as possible. We want to hear what you think. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
margie2
Posted 2014-05-16 8:55 PM (#87825 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: RE: Help Us Help You

Elite Veteran

OK, I will go first. I have Pattern Master Boutique, Pattern Master Knits, and Wild Stitches.

I have used the programs long enough, now, that the things I found problematic at first, are no longer. I do remember that "Saving" was not intuitive to me. You have to "Save" twice. Fortunately, the program asks if you want to save the patterns, even though I thought I had already done that.

The programs are so powerful that it would help to have a cheat sheet, something that would tell you, "Have you checked "x" and "y" and are you really ready to print". I have printed patterns only to find I forgot to check something and had to go back and do it over again. Maybe, I was just too eager to start sewing.

I still have not figures out what "Next" is supposed to do. When I click on it, nothing happens.

The process that I find the most frustrating is not being able to combine in Style Editor the parts I want. I understand that not all selections will work together. But, if I select something that will not work, sometimes the program reverts to the beginning and all the work I did is gone and I have to start over. I would much rather have the program tell me I cannot use a selection. Since I am not a programmer, I don't know if this is possible.

To anyone who reads this, who is considering buying the program, my suggestions are not meant to demean the programs. It does take time to learn how to use them.

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-16 9:28 PM (#87826 - in reply to #87825)

Administrator

margie2 - 2014-05-16 7:55 PM

OK, I will go first. I have Pattern Master Boutique, Pattern Master Knits, and Wild Stitches.

Thanks for going first!

I have used the programs long enough, now, that the things I found problematic at first, are no longer. I do remember that "Saving" was not intuitive to me. You have to "Save" twice. Fortunately, the program asks if you want to save the patterns, even though I thought I had already done that.

We definitely know that saving is not intuitive. Its one of the most asked questions we get. Since we have additional items that can be saved - photos, notes, etc., we have to display the screen that provides those options and then the requirement to press another Save button. So, to all of you, how could we make that better, easier?

The programs are so powerful that it would help to have a cheat sheet, something that would tell you, "Have you checked "x" and "y" and are you really ready to print". I have printed patterns only to find I forgot to check something and had to go back and do it over again. Maybe, I was just too eager to start sewing.

Have you used the custom reminders for this sort of thing? If so and they are not sufficient, what else could we do here?

As for printing, the best thing I can recommend is to always print to a PDF file directly from the program. That's what I do here. That way I can always check the PDF file before I send it to the printer and go back and make changes if I forgot something. I just posted a class on printing to PDF. Take a look at it and see if that helps. PDF writers are free and very easy to use.

I still have not figures out what "Next" is supposed to do. When I click on it, nothing happens.

On which screen?

The process that I find the most frustrating is not being able to combine in Style Editor the parts I want. I understand that not all selections will work together. But, if I select something that will not work, sometimes the program reverts to the beginning and all the work I did is gone and I have to start over. I would much rather have the program tell me I cannot use a selection. Since I am not a programmer, I don't know if this is possible.

Unfortunately, this is not likely to get much better because there are just too many possible combinations of options. Theoretically, and I think for the most part, those options that cannot be sewn together are disabled so that you cannot choose them. If you find some that are not disabled and should be, certainly let me know. I know its frustrating to start over but I try to err towards resetting rather than risk you picking something that cannot be sewn together so that you don't waste time, paper, and fabric. We have a lot of customers who are quite new to sewing and not yet able to determine if the patterns will indeed work together.

Thanks for your help here. Who dares go next?
margie2
Posted 2014-05-16 10:02 PM (#87827 - in reply to #87826)

Elite Veteran

Lisa, on the top toolbar at the extreme left edge, on the Style Editor, there is an icon of shapes - square, circle and something else. They are too small for me to identify exactly. If you click on that, you get a list of commands. The last one is "Next".

About the PDF... I got that information, but have not put it to use, just yet. Thank you for that. I guess I missed, "Custom Reminders". I don't know what that is.

The programs are so very powerful that I think beginners get frustrated. They expect to put in measurements, print out a pattern, be told how to sew it together, and then end up with a fabulous garment. That doesn't happen. Maybe a plan to follow after the fitting garments might help. I don't know what that plan would be. I have been sewing for so long, I would not make a good teacher.

I think it is great that you are asking for feedback from your users. Have you noticed that a lot of people look but do not participate?
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-05-16 11:00 PM (#87828 - in reply to #87824)
Subject: Re: Help Us Help You

Extreme Veteran

Lisa,
I think the programs are fantastic and very powerful. That being said, I find that I often miss some tiny detail which derails my design. I try to proofread carefully, but if I miss some setting, such as CB waist location, my pants don't fit properly. It seems that my defaults don't save properly, or I can't make a default for every setting? Sometimes, I feel like I have so many choices, I overshop. I don't know what "standards" are, like is a standard cuff 2" or 3", is a "standard" collar 1.5" or 2"....."standards" used in RTW might help to make beginning choices that could then be customized later for individualization. But, I keep working at it because PMB is far better than the patterns that don't fit that have to be totally redrafted anyway.
Towanda
Posted 2014-05-17 9:50 AM (#87830 - in reply to #87828)

Regular

I agree with Tall Karen. There are so many choices to make that sometimes it gets overwhelming. This morning I'm searching images of cardigans because I don't know what is the standard depth for the neckline for a V-neck cardigan. A reference for the standards would be helpful or links to where we can find the information. Please add more stylish choices to the Wild Styles. Sometimes I just want to print out a pattern that fits and not have to think about all of the style choices. I've been buying Lekala patterns because the design choices are made for me. I still need to tweak the patterns but it is better than commercial patterns. I would prefer to use my programs instead of buying patterns.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-05-17 11:19 AM (#87835 - in reply to #87830)

Extreme Veteran

Exactly Towanda...
I'd like to know how designers chose the standard they use....how do they know to make a v neck so deep, so wide? How do they know the sizes of collars to use? I guess wild styles would be a good starting point, but I haven't done that because the styles aren't what I'm looking for, but maybe I should re-look at that.....It seems like there should be a "rule book" available somewhere so we could backward engineer instead of frontward engineer if you know what I mean (start with a standard and then customize using the software)
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-17 11:58 AM (#87837 - in reply to #87835)

Administrator

Unfortunately, there are absolutely no RTW "standards" for any of the design details or settings in the program. Just like there are no "standard" sizes in ready to wear. They will vary widely from company to company and style to style. If you look at paper patterns from the pattern companies (Vogue, Butterick, McCalls, etc.), they are all very different in how they fit and the choices they make for neck width, neck depth, etc. Every company wants to differentiate itself from every other company so there can never be a standard.

All PatternMaster programs start with default settings that we feel are the best for the initial draft for that style. Beyond that personal preference makes it impossible for us to predict what you might want for a setting or design detail. Wild Styles is certainly a good place to start but you will still want to check settings such as length and neckline depth to be sure they work for you.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-17 12:01 PM (#87839 - in reply to #87827)

Administrator

margie2 - 2014-05-16 9:02 PM

Lisa, on the top toolbar at the extreme left edge, on the Style Editor, there is an icon of shapes - square, circle and something else. They are too small for me to identify exactly. If you click on that, you get a list of commands. The last one is "Next".

If you mean this menu, it is a standard control menu placed there by Windows. Its in every Windows program not just PatternMaster and pops up when you click on any window icon. Its not something I can control or program for. Just ignore if you click on it by mistake.

(Control Menu.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Control Menu.png (17KB - 2 downloads)
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-17 12:04 PM (#87840 - in reply to #87828)

Administrator

Tall Karen - 2014-05-16 10:00 PM
Lisa,
I think the programs are fantastic and very powerful. That being said, I find that I often miss some tiny detail which derails my design. I try to proofread carefully, but if I miss some setting, such as CB waist location, my pants don't fit properly. It seems that my defaults don't save properly, or I can't make a default for every setting? Sometimes, I feel like I have so many choices, I overshop. I don't know what "standards" are, like is a standard cuff 2" or 3", is a "standard" collar 1.5" or 2"....."standards" used in RTW might help to make beginning choices that could then be customized later for individualization. But, I keep working at it because PMB is far better than the patterns that don't fit that have to be totally redrafted anyway.

If you think your defaults are not working correctly, certainly let me know. Those can and should be fixed. If you think there is should be a default setting for something that we don't have, let me know that too. It might be something we can add.
familysewn
Posted 2014-05-17 1:06 PM (#87844 - in reply to #87824)

Veteran

Lisa, in settings in Style Editor the only 2 settings that currently have a reset button are "armhole " and "neck" settings. Is it possible to get a a reset button for the rest of the settings , so that if you are just playing around and want get back to the original settings you could press reset for the other settings?
Barb
margie2
Posted 2014-05-17 1:18 PM (#87846 - in reply to #87839)

Elite Veteran

Yes, that is where I found, "Next". I expected it to be just as you said. However, I always can hope that there is something next coming.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-17 1:58 PM (#87847 - in reply to #87844)

Administrator

familysewn - 2014-05-17 12:06 PM

Lisa, in settings in Style Editor the only 2 settings that currently have a reset button are "armhole " and "neck" settings. Is it possible to get a a reset button for the rest of the settings , so that if you are just playing around and want get back to the original settings you could press reset for the other settings?
Barb

You can already do this on the Defaults screen.

(ResetDefaults.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ResetDefaults.png (28KB - 2 downloads)
StMike
Posted 2014-05-18 3:33 PM (#87851 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Would it be possible to have the Summary/Defaults review screen stay open while you make changes in Settings? I like to check the finished garment measurements frequently as I make selections in Settings. Now, one has to open the Review Summary screen scroll to the area wanted and the close the screen before making any further changes in settings. Then go through the whole sequence again to check the results. It would be convenient to have the Review screen stay open while making settings changes and have it refresh (or manually tell it to refresh) after a new setting is selected. That way you could easily follow the results of your choices as you work.
cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-18 3:35 PM (#87852 - in reply to #87824)

Expert

I’m going out on a limb here,-----Since I obviously use the programs all the time and have little difficulty I have hesitated to join the discussion.

As a beginner: 

The fitting garment might seem more difficult to get into the program than I had expected. Taking the measurements is easy. Typing them in is easy. A prompt to save is appreciated. I find the custom prompts and kind of learn to use them. I learn to make notes. Again I learn to save!

Where I might get caught is translating the alterations for fit, into measurement changes or efaults. Tech help may be necessary!

And how am I supposed use settings at this stage? Or not? Why are there shaping tools in the default screen, when there is nothing to visualize what’s happening? Or do I reshape in settings and then note the changes and go back to defaults and enter them and save again? The settings screen seems to fill itself it’s self from the defaults screen. There seems no need to change anything for style at this point. But I could be missing something.

Remember now, I am a  beginner------I read  the Quick Start docs, and it seems that alterations for fit should be entered somehow between step 6 and 7.  Measurements or defaults?  Because why would I save an unaltered garment? This may be where tech support will be necessary!.

However once past the fitting garment I can count on that very same garment appearing in each and every style screen when I open that chart. But only if I have saved the defaults for all styles.  .  And I personally think it wise to do so. I certainly need a prompt here.

There is a lot that happens in Defaults that is very important. This is where I can input all the little manual drafting rules I learned all those years ago and set the seam allowances to zero, for all additional charts as they are added. Defaults is now my friend!

Many of us rush and don't take time to really read everything offered. We miss things that are important or judge them to be unimportant. Or perhaps we don't investigate the software as deeply as we should. Or we set a pattern for our actions that repeats over and over again, because it works.

Coopie

Edited by cfonfold 2014-05-18 3:37 PM
StMike
Posted 2014-05-18 3:44 PM (#87853 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

I find the defaults difficult to understand and use. I think the are probably a powerful tool, but I find them confusing, so I don't use them much. I mostly have used them in working with the fitting garments.
Grandma C
Posted 2014-05-18 4:08 PM (#87854 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

I am a rush ahead person. Being really that I had a program that would print out a garment that would fit to a T............. for my DGD. I was a bit disappointed that my first attempt was a little bit off and even embarrassed when I was corrected on the forum. I think it would be good if the welcome screen could say be sure and start here and list the steps 1 2 3 including sending the measurements to Karen.
I would have benefitted from a warning on the welcome screen as to the importance of a sloper and Karens initial input.
Another warning that would help, would be one that states the obvious. The sloper fabric should be the weight you would use for a garment of thee sort the sloper is for.
familysewn
Posted 2014-05-18 4:10 PM (#87855 - in reply to #87824)

Veteran

Lisa, I probably am missing something here, but when I am changing settings and trying to see what effect / changes they make on my garment , I don't really want to make them a default yet until have tried them out for real, know they work, and want to make it part of my defaults for other garments. I have to to agree with Mike, I get very confused on how and when to use defaults and I have taken the class. I also find it hard to compare setting/ masurements changes . A more in depth article on how to save a garment as a sloper and then using it to compare changes you make to solve fitting issues may be helpful... that is, sequencing the steps on how to do this.
Barb
familysewn
Posted 2014-05-18 4:25 PM (#87856 - in reply to #87851)

Veteran

Somewhere I was reading on the forum last night that the finished garment measurements don't reflect design ease. Is that right? If that is the case if I see" finished garment measurements" I would think that this is the final measurement of the garment with every thing included. And it might benefit to put something in parenthesis to indicate this in the summary. If I am all wet here disregard my comment.
Barb
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-18 5:10 PM (#87857 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Thank you for this question. I would love it if I could measure in the style editor on the small screen and not have to go to the larger screen every time and then back to the settings to adjust something.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 5:31 PM (#87859 - in reply to #87856)

Administrator

familysewn - 2014-05-18 3:25 PM

Somewhere I was reading on the forum last night that the finished garment measurements don't reflect design ease. Is that right? If that is the case if I see" finished garment measurements" I would think that this is the final measurement of the garment with every thing included. And it might benefit to put something in parenthesis to indicate this in the summary. If I am all wet here disregard my comment.
Barb

Hi Barb,

Not sure where you read this but it is incorrect. The finished garment measurements are the final garment measurements - the ones you will get if you measure after printing. They reflect all of the settings including any design ease built into the style.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 5:33 PM (#87860 - in reply to #87853)

Administrator

StMike - 2014-05-18 2:44 PM

I find the defaults difficult to understand and use. I think the are probably a powerful tool, but I find them confusing, so I don't use them much. I mostly have used them in working with the fitting garments.

Could you elaborate on what is confusing and difficult to understand? How could we make them easier to use and understand?
familysewn
Posted 2014-05-18 5:43 PM (#87861 - in reply to #87859)

Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, Lisa
Barb
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 5:44 PM (#87862 - in reply to #87855)

Administrator

Hi Barb,

familysewn - 2014-05-18 3:10 PM
Lisa, I probably am missing something here, but when I am changing settings and trying to see what effect / changes they make on my garment , I don't really want to make them a default yet until have tried them out for real, know they work, and want to make it part of my defaults for other garments. I have to to agree with Mike, I get very confused on how and when to use defaults and I have taken the class.

I would agree that you would not want to set defaults until you have tried them in a real garment. That is what we believe to be the point of the fitting garments. Once you have made your fitting garments, you should know at least some of the default settings you will always want your styled garments to draft with to start. Otherwise, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for when or how to use the defaults. They are certainly not required but really only there as a convenient place to start.

I also find it hard to compare setting/ masurements changes . A more in depth article on how to save a garment as a sloper and then using it to compare changes you make to solve fitting issues may be helpful... that is, sequencing the steps on how to do this.
Barb

I am not sure I understand this one. What do you mean by save a garment as a sloper?

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 5:47 PM (#87863 - in reply to #87854)

Administrator

Grandma C - 2014-05-18 3:08 PM

I am a rush ahead person. Being really that I had a program that would print out a garment that would fit to a T............. for my DGD. I was a bit disappointed that my first attempt was a little bit off and even embarrassed when I was corrected on the forum. I think it would be good if the welcome screen could say be sure and start here and list the steps 1 2 3 including sending the measurements to Karen. I would have benefitted from a warning on the welcome screen as to the importance of a sloper and Karens initial input. Another warning that would help, would be one that states the obvious. The sloper fabric should be the weight you would use for a garment of thee sort the sloper is for.

We actually already have these in the Quick Start - have you looked at it? Its a button on the main welcome screen and also displays first right after the program is activated.
StMike
Posted 2014-05-18 6:02 PM (#87865 - in reply to #87860)

Extreme Veteran

I am  just not sure when I should consider using them for garments.  I understand how they help with the fitting garment but not other garments.  Since we have so many choices in Settings, the role defaults play is not clear.  Maybe it is because I have not yet got a single pattern that I wanted to replicate exactly.  I am getting close in shirts and jeans but not there yet.  I guess if I did get such a pattern, I could set a lot of the defaults to make it easier to replicate the garment.  But as long as I keep experimenting with things, the defaults are something I don't consider.  I may want to set some alerts to remind me to set defaults for some settings.  Another thing that confused me is that one has to make a number of additional measurements to set some of the defaluts, for examples the leg measurements for the shorts, bermuda, capri, etc.  And the same for the arm, such as the short sleeve length, the elbow depth and the wrist.  I am not sure I ever got those right.  I can see that if I ever get the right crotch curve for my pants, I can use defaults to make the right settings every time.  That would be a big help.  But so far, I have been unsuccessful at getting the pants to fit just right in the crotch curve and upper thigh areas.  So, I have not considered any defaults yet for that.  Maybe we need just a more detailed WIKI (or paid class) just on using defaults with some real life examples.
familysewn
Posted 2014-05-18 6:24 PM (#87867 - in reply to #87862)

Veteran

I actually meant the fit garment. I don't know if I can explain this well. Say I made the fit garment and there are still fit issues. I would like to go in and try different changes and compare. I think I would have to save that 1st fit g and then use that and set that as the sloper. So I continue making some changes and think this would be ok....then I would have to save those changes and compare. every time I would have to go out save it as the the new sloper. If I didnt like it after comparing, again, I would have to do the same. Is there an easier way to make something into a sloper in the style editer where I am viewing these changes that I am just trying to see what would work? Ugh , I know this explanation isn't good
Barb

Ps Which ever way I have to do it it would be helpful to have an article or tutorial on how to compare changes. I struggled with this in the beginning and still do.

Edited by familysewn 2014-05-18 6:28 PM
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-05-18 6:24 PM (#87868 - in reply to #87860)

Extreme Veteran

What confuses me about defaults is when it's set, I think that that setting will be applied to all styles. But then it seems like it isn't, for example jeans. If I set the CB waist drop at 1", I expect it to be 1" down on the draft, but the draft automatically makes it 1.5".. Is this 1.5" different than the default, or 1.5" total including the default, therefore 2.5" total? I feel like it's new math and I can't get it. arghh

cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-18 7:29 PM (#87872 - in reply to #87853)

Expert

It's my belief that the defaults are a very important and valuable portion of the program. I truly believe that most of them  originate in the alteration of the fitting garment. Which is what we are guided to base our own personal standards of fit on. (There's that word again!)  But that is what standards are. Personal--For each of us -individually.

But when you first read through them defaults and settings seem much the same. 

Settings is easier to work with then defaults .You can see the pattern change as you work. Defaults has no visual reassurance.

I never use settings in the FG section

I don't think that settings are needed at all with the fitting garment. It's the shell that proves that all the measurements are in the correct place for that individual . There is no style involved. And having the reshape tools in both places totally confuses me.

While StMike is correct in that there are additional measurements to be entered in defaults, most come from the FG. Or can be obtained quickly enough.   

But that red sloper- always the same, every time, is my lifeline! With that, changing the defaults for blouses, dresses, pants, and sheaths is a snap. I even use the same defaults for jumpsuits, and I wouldn't be caught dead in one! And after the  basic styles are set with their own defaults, using the settings is a joy.

Coopie 

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-05-18 7:37 PM (#87873 - in reply to #87863)
Subject: Quick Start (Re: Help Us Help You)

Extreme Veteran

I like the 'Quick Start" video myself. ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WcWFKA_GbU

It also includes the visuals mentioned in the Quick Start text in step 4. I actually did not notice the button to the Quick Start series in the top menu bar at first, but it's nice those included in the program and are broken down in the sections.

Shel

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 7:56 PM (#87876 - in reply to #87868)

Administrator

Tall Karen - 2014-05-18 5:24 PM
What confuses me about defaults is when it's set, I think that that setting will be applied to all styles. But then it seems like it isn't, for example jeans. If I set the CB waist drop at 1", I expect it to be 1" down on the draft, but the draft automatically makes it 1.5".. Is this 1.5" different than the default, or 1.5" total including the default, therefore 2.5" total? I feel like it's new math and I can't get it. arghh

The defaults are there as a place for the program to start with your personal preferences once you have determined what you want them to be. But sometimes in order to draft a particular style, the style has to override the defaults - such as the oversized shirt, caftan, or sweatpants, for example. They are drafted large than the ease defaults. The classic jeans are the same thing. The jeans style drafts the cf, cb, and ss down 1.5 inches overriding the default settings. That's just how we make that style. If you turn on the red sloper, you will see that difference displayed.
StMike
Posted 2014-05-18 8:07 PM (#87877 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Coopie, your comments are very enlightening and helpful. You have given me a fresh perspective on defaults. Thank you.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 8:08 PM (#87878 - in reply to #87872)

Administrator

Hi Coopie,

I never use settings in the FG section. I don't think that settings are needed at all with the fitting garment. It's the shell that proves that all the measurements are in the correct place for that individual . There is no style involved. And having the reshape tools in both places totally confuses me.

We have settings on the fit garments screen because we do have customers that make more than one fit garment and need to change some of the settings there before printing a new fit garment. If you mean the shape tools that are on the defaults screen, they are there so that they can be set as the defaults for the red sloper overlay. The default settings for the fit garments are reflected in the red sloper overlay so you do have a point of visual reference to them.

EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-05-18 8:10 PM (#87880 - in reply to #87872)
Subject: Defaults( Re: Help Us Help You

Extreme Veteran

I think the defaults are awesome. Some stuff never changes..like bust height and leg length so having those applied to the sloper does help me since it can be switched on in SE.  I haven't applied the reshaping in defaults as I see those as fine tuning in SE. For instance, armhole shaping can change between styles so I might not need it in all instances.

Shel

Tall Karen
Posted 2014-05-18 8:13 PM (#87881 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

this thread has been very helpful and as always, I'm in awe of this powerful program and continue to strive to master it's intricacies! Thanks.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 8:20 PM (#87883 - in reply to #87867)

Administrator

familysewn - 2014-05-18 5:24 PM

I actually meant the fit garment. I don't know if I can explain this well. Say I made the fit garment and there are still fit issues. I would like to go in and try different changes and compare. I think I would have to save that 1st fit g and then use that and set that as the sloper. So I continue making some changes and think this would be ok....then I would have to save those changes and compare. every time I would have to go out save it as the the new sloper. If I didnt like it after comparing, again, I would have to do the same. Is there an easier way to make something into a sloper in the style editer where I am viewing these changes that I am just trying to see what would work? Ugh , I know this explanation isn't good
Barb

Ps Which ever way I have to do it it would be helpful to have an article or tutorial on how to compare changes. I struggled with this in the beginning and still do.

I think I understand what you are explaining but I think you might be making the fitting process more difficult that it has to be. We believe (and I think we have proven it over the years) that you should not have to make more than two fitting garments to test your measurement and settings preferences. Once you have the first fit garment on, you should be able to see where the majority of changes need to be made.

If you want to compare changes though, set the fit garments defaults after making the first fit garment so that they are reflected in the red sloper overlay. Then, as you are making changes to the next fit garment you will be able to see how they compare to the previous fit garment. Otherwise, I think you only option would be to save the patterns and open them in PE and overlay them to see your changes. I don't think that is something we can build into the program.

May I ask, what changes are you wanting to compare and to what end?
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 8:24 PM (#87884 - in reply to #87865)

Administrator

StMike - 2014-05-18 5:02 PM
Another thing that confused me is that one has to make a number of additional measurements to set some of the defaluts, for examples the leg measurements for the shorts, bermuda, capri, etc.  And the same for the arm, such as the short sleeve length, the elbow depth and the wrist.  I am not sure I ever got those right. 

There really isn't any right or wrong here. Its just a place to start. The easiest thing to do is measure items in your closet to get a feel for how long you like your shorts or elbow length sleeve, etc. But, you don't have to set all of the defaults if you don't want to. There is actually no requirement at all to use any of the defaults. The program will continue to use our factory defaults until you change them.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-18 8:25 PM (#87885 - in reply to #87880)
Subject: RE: Defaults( Re: Help Us Help You

Administrator

EasilyAmewsed - 2014-05-18 7:10 PM

I think the defaults are awesome. Some stuff never changes..like bust height and leg length so having those applied to the sloper does help me since it can be switched on in SE.  I haven't applied the reshaping in defaults as I see those as fine tuning in SE. For instance, armhole shaping can change between styles so I might not need it in all instances.

Shel

Shel, you are exactly right!
JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-05-18 8:47 PM (#87886 - in reply to #87824)

The hardest part of the programs for me has always been the sleeves. I think having a list of suggested settings to start from for certain sleeve styles would be helpful. The full cap sleeve in earlier versions of the software automatically lowered the cap height. I know that is a preference, but in general the cap sleeve does have a lower cap height in garments. The cut-on cap is a great style once you know how to change the armhole shape settings and shoulder length. I would never have discovered this without Coopie's help. I'm sure there are other sleeves that would benefit from suggested settings.
Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2014-05-18 10:26 PM (#87889 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

One thing I find frustrating is that you cannot control the sleeve width at bicep level and elbow level. My first blouse had tapered sleeves with cuffs - the wrist fitted, the bicep fitted but the middle of the arm was too tight. This is because the draft basically draws a straight line from bicep level to wrist level.

These days, I manually change a long fitted sleeve at elbow level to make sure it will go around me.
Grandma C
Posted 2014-05-19 12:52 AM (#87891 - in reply to #87863)

Elite Veteran

Lisa, guess I just went from versions 3-4-5 and by the time I got to 5 I missed it. I surely do not remember seeing it on my first attempt. I do love the software but these are some things I missed.
Belinda
StMike
Posted 2014-05-19 10:31 AM (#87898 - in reply to #87851)

Extreme Veteran

StMike - 2014-05-18 2:33 PM Would it be possible to have the Summary/Defaults review screen stay open while you make changes in Settings? I like to check the finished garment measurements frequently as I make selections in Settings. Now, one has to open the Review Summary screen scroll to the area wanted and the close the screen before making any further changes in settings. Then go through the whole sequence again to check the results. It would be convenient to have the Review screen stay open while making settings changes and have it refresh (or manually tell it to refresh) after a new setting is selected. That way you could easily follow the results of your choices as you work.

This comment did not get addressed.  It is not feasible?

cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-19 10:39 AM (#87900 - in reply to #87878)

Expert

I'm only speaking of the Fitting garment screen. I find the style screens very comfortable.
To use the shaping tools in defaults you must have written the numbers down while in settings
But you don't know that if your a beginner until you get to it in the default screen. That's back in the "rafting" screen. And then switch screens to enter them into defaults. And switch back to perhaps continue your work or perhaps check to see that you have remembered correctly. And don't forget to save.
It's mainly a bump in the road, clumsy. I'm not the very best user. I often accept clumsiness as part of the territory. It was a major irritation when I entered many charts at a time. Now it's just me, family, and a very, very small home "business".
In the style screens the settings become part of the pattern it's self and are saved with it. Very nice. If the style defaults are already in place you rarely need go there to produce another garment using that chart.
Coopie

Joyce F
Posted 2014-05-19 11:53 AM (#87903 - in reply to #87824)

Veteran

I did not see my remarks on this subject so maybe I forgot to click submit.
First I would love to see the printed summary in the same order as the settings screen. It drives me crazy when I want to check back on my work.
Secondly, I have to be so careful where my cursor is on the settings screen, Because if I accidently touch the scroll bar, some of my settings get changed and end up with patterns that I can't possibly use.
Joyce
StMike
Posted 2014-05-19 12:53 PM (#87906 - in reply to #87903)

Extreme Veteran

Joyce F - 2014-05-19 10:53 AM I did not see my remarks on this subject so maybe I forgot to click submit. First I would love to see the printed summary in the same order as the settings screen. It drives me crazy when I want to check back on my work. Secondly, I have to be so careful where my cursor is on the settings screen, Because if I accidently touch the scroll bar, some of my settings get changed and end up with patterns that I can't possibly use. Joyce

I have also learned the hard way that in order to have the cursor release the selection box just worked in and keep the setting intact, I have to click on an unrelated button somewhere else on the screen - doesn't matter which one.  Otherwise, the wheel on the mouse does just change the setting even if have moved on. I think that may be a windows problem, though?

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-19 2:13 PM (#87908 - in reply to #87903)

Administrator

Joyce F - 2014-05-19 10:53 AM
I did not see my remarks on this subject so maybe I forgot to click submit.

Secondly, I have to be so careful where my cursor is on the settings screen, Because if I accidently touch the scroll bar, some of my settings get changed and end up with patterns that I can't possibly use.
Joyce

You did not see this post to the forums because you have been emailing them directly to me. When you reply to the email notification, it comes to me instead of being posted to the forums. You have to log into the forums in order to post to a thread. I did email you back regarding this post.

The scrolling is a feature built into your mouse driver. Your mouse will behave that way in all Windows programs not just PatternMaster so its not something we can control. If you don't want it to scroll, turn that off in your mouse settings.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-19 2:16 PM (#87909 - in reply to #87898)

Administrator

StMike - 2014-05-19 9:31 AM

StMike - 2014-05-18 2:33 PM Would it be possible to have the Summary/Defaults review screen stay open while you make changes in Settings? I like to check the finished garment measurements frequently as I make selections in Settings. Now, one has to open the Review Summary screen scroll to the area wanted and the close the screen before making any further changes in settings. Then go through the whole sequence again to check the results. It would be convenient to have the Review screen stay open while making settings changes and have it refresh (or manually tell it to refresh) after a new setting is selected. That way you could easily follow the results of your choices as you work.

This comment did not get addressed.  It is not feasible?

I don't think this one is likely something that can be done. If the Summary screen is displayed, it will have to cover one side or the other of the Style screen. Even if the Style Summary screen stays and manually refresh it to recalculate, it will move the scroll bars back to the top and you will have to scroll again.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-19 2:17 PM (#87910 - in reply to #87900)

Administrator

cfonfold - 2014-05-19 9:39 AM

I'm only speaking of the Fitting garment screen. I find the style screens very comfortable.
To use the shaping tools in defaults you must have written the numbers down while in settings
But you don't know that if your a beginner until you get to it in the default screen. That's back in the "drafting" screen. And then switch screens to enter them into defaults. And switch back to perhaps continue your work or perhaps check to see that you have remembered correctly. And don't forget to save.
It's mainly a bump in the road, clumsy. I'm not the very best user. I often accept clumsiness as part of the territory. It was a major irritation when I entered many charts at a time. Now it's just me, family, and a very, very small home "business".
In the style screens the settings become part of the pattern it's self and are saved with it. Very nice. If the style defaults are already in place you rarely need go there to produce another garment using that chart.
Coopie

I see your point about the shape tools on the Fit Garments screen. Will think on that one.
cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-19 4:30 PM (#87914 - in reply to #87877)

Expert

Hi Mike, I'm afraid I'm way dated and as they say "out of the fashion" but I fit all my FGs with a minimal of ease. Not super tight, but definitely 1950's little black dress tight. And I put the armscye right up there on the shoulder. Not extended at all. And the sleeve as high as possible. And all the horizontals level. This isn't a garment to be worn really. It's a tool.

OK given all that, I save all the changes necessary  to make it fit-- as defaults. All of them. Including reshaping the armscye and neck if necessary.  Reshaping the crotch is the hardest and takes the most time and deliberation.( But to honest this software drafts some of the best fitting classic trousers you could hope for. Right off the bat). If I am working long distance I have some-- ahem-- standards--that I have found tend to work well enough.

That means that the red sloper is as close as I can get to an accurate flat pattern of that individual. Like Peter Pan's shadow. Tucked away on my hard drive. I could place it on a model and pad it to have a good enough duplicate of the client.

When I open a style screen there it is with the classic style laid on top --or underneath as the case may be. I think of it as the body. That's where the shoulders are, that's where the bust point is etc. I set a new set of defaults for the style I'm in. Say blouses. Any drafting book or guide will give you some ballpark additions for a blouse, or jacket.  Ease, shoulder width, etc. Those should be saved and  become the defaults for the classic blouse. Same for jackets, same for sheaths, and pants. That means that when you call up the style screen some of the basic adjustments for garment choice are all ready done. And yes they must be tested--usually.  Really the rest is design.

So there could be  many sets of defaults.It's a very good idea (INMHO) to have the FG as accurate as you can make it. 

Not everyone will use the software like I do. That's OK too.

Coopie 

cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-20 10:00 AM (#87924 - in reply to #87867)

Expert

Say I made the fit garment and there are still fit issues. I would like to go in and try different changes and compare. I think I would have to save that 1st fit g and then use that and set that as the sloper. So I continue making some changes and think this would be ok....

When you are working in the FG screen you can merge saved patterns in order to make comparisons. It's a wonderfully handy tool. I use it a lot. I'd like more tool options of course, like align maybe. Well I guess what I would really like  is the whole cad program! Not asking , not asking!

Coopie 

JoAnndjob
Posted 2014-05-20 10:57 AM (#87926 - in reply to #87924)

I agree! Measure distance is one I want to use frequently. I know there are others, but can't remember at this time.
Paula J
Posted 2014-05-30 1:56 PM (#87958 - in reply to #87824)

Veteran

Lisa, Thanks for asking for feedback. When I saw this thread about a week ago I decided to give it some thought before replying. I have had PMB for many years now ( 3 initially, then 4 and 5). I have definitely had a love-hate relationship with this software. When I first bought it I was just getting back into garment sewing and of course standard patterns needed lots of adjustment. I was naive and thought I could enter measurements and get a pattern I could just sew up and wear. I learned quickly that was not the case and really knew nothing about pattern drafting or CAD. So I struggled mightily - I sent slopers to support and got some answers but had some nagging issues that just couldn't seem to be addressed in the software with settings and I didn't know how to fix them manually. I now have been on the journey (as I call it) of fitting and understanding pattern drafting. Several years and many, many classes later, I have learned so very much. And I always keep coming back to software hoping I can do what I want there rather than on paper. I will confess I still cannot wrap my brain around editor, and need to take time to understand it. But I work full time and time is limited, so I haven't spent the time (yet).

So, I saw your question and decided to go back to the beginning and do new measurements and a new sloper using the system settings/defaults. Just enter all the measurements and do the fitting garment. My two nagging issues are still there and I don't know how to deal with them in the software. 1 issue - in the center front, I have about 1 1/2" of excess fabric width at my neck, tapering to nothing just below my bust. Think "long vertical dart going down the middle". The fit everywhere else is fine and my balance lines are straight. The second issue is what I call a twisted sleeve. I have a large diagonal dragline going down the sleeve from the front armhole to the below the elbow - as though the sleeve needs to be 'turned'. The only pattern I have made up that has not has this problem was a blouse pattern I recently made from Lekala Patterns. BTW - I also did not have the excess fabric in the front of that blouse either.

I realize I am not really answering the questions you are asking, but given these items, I think the software is somewhat user-friendly. What I find not user friendly is not knowing the relationships between various measurements and it isn't spelled out. So when I make a change 'here' - I often don't know I affected something 'there'. I think moving around, printing, finding the user manuals, etc is easy to use. I find it time-consuming creating a pattern because of background changes that occur, requiring you to go back and re-do some choices. (Checking two things that don't work together, so it just changes something you just did, rather than a message saying 'you can't do x with y').

Thanks for listening
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-30 2:31 PM (#87959 - in reply to #87958)

Tech Support

Send your chart and the front, back and side view of your fit garment to support@wildginger.com If we are helping you and you still need more help we are here. Drafts start in the center of the body and draft out. Extra in the center is really extra on the edge.  It is natural to put the edge of the shoulder in place.
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-30 5:38 PM (#87960 - in reply to #87914)

Elite Veteran

cfonfold - 2014-05-19 10:30 PM

Hi Mike, I'm afraid I'm way dated and as they say "out of the fashion" but I fit all my FGs with a minimal of ease. Not super tight, but definitely 1950's little black dress tight. And I put the armscye right up there on the shoulder. Not extended at all. And the sleeve as high as ossible. And all the horizontals level. This isn't a garment to be worn really. It's a tool.

Hi Coopie, I also sew for family that stay about 6 hours drive away and I 1st make sure that the fit garment is correct before I proceed. You mentioned fit garment with minimal ease, how much ease do you use for the fit garment? Having their "body" as a FG would be better with people far away as it is useless to ask them how loose or tight they want their garment compared to the FG. They are not  sewers so it is difficult for them to answer. Thanks Kirsten 
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-30 5:49 PM (#87961 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Hi Lisa, would it be possible to measure in the small screen instead of going to large screen and then back again.

Referring to Mikes suggestion, is it possible to have finished garment measurements always visible in SE. It just has to be total amounts, for example total hip width, no need to have front and back shown on the main screen, we can always go to the summary sheet for more details.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-30 8:15 PM (#87962 - in reply to #87961)

Administrator

kirsten - 2014-05-30 4:49 PM

Hi Lisa, would it be possible to measure in the small screen instead of going to large screen and then back again.

No, unfortunately, this is not possible.

Referring to Mikes suggestion, is it possible to have finished garment measurements always visible in SE. It just has to be total amounts, for example total hip width, no need to have front and back shown on the main screen, we can always go to the summary sheet for more details.

I don't see where could I put the finished garment measurements where they would "always" be visible? I am pretty much out of room on most of the garment screens. And no matter where they go you are still going to have to click on something that refreshes and displays them as you are making changes. It would not likely be any fewer clicks than it currently takes to display the summary screen.
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-31 12:04 AM (#87963 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Lisa that makes sense, if we have to refresh anyhow then we can just as well go to another screen. Thank you again for wonderful programmes.

sewsally
Posted 2014-05-31 1:15 PM (#87968 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

When saving styles.... Asks for a name but I would like to add to the name and not have to retype the whole thing.

For instance: File name is "Raglan Test 2014".

I changed a few things and want to save it as "Raglan Test 2014 Rev A". I select "Raglan Test 2014" from the list but I cannot just type "Rev A" after it. Have to type in the whole name.

Edited by sewsally 2014-05-31 1:17 PM
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-31 1:32 PM (#87969 - in reply to #87968)

Tech Support

Humm...I am not at the program right now, but think I use the arrow key to do this.
thistles
Posted 2014-05-31 1:33 PM (#87970 - in reply to #87968)

Extreme Veteran

If you hit the right arrow key, the highlight disappears and you can add to the original name.
cfonfold
Posted 2014-05-31 1:33 PM (#87971 - in reply to #87969)

Expert

Yes, that's what I do.
Coopie
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-31 1:48 PM (#87972 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

What arrow key is that? I have also had to retype.
thistles
Posted 2014-05-31 1:59 PM (#87973 - in reply to #87972)

Extreme Veteran

I use the right arrow key on my number pad.
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-31 2:00 PM (#87974 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Thank you so happy to know that
kirsten
Posted 2014-05-31 3:39 PM (#87975 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Another request, is it possible in PM to have a "save button" like we have in Word or Excel. Just one click and our style is saved. I know the program is very intricate, but if possible that would be wonderful.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-05-31 4:53 PM (#87976 - in reply to #87975)

Administrator

kirsten - 2014-05-31 2:39 PM
Another request, is it possible in PM to have a "save button" like we have in Word or Excel. Just one click and our style is saved. I know the program is very intricate, but if possible that would be wonderful.

Unfortunately, that is not possible either. All of the patterns (bodice, collar, sleeve, pockets, facing, etc.) have to be on one screen with style pics in order to save the patterns such that they can be opened in PE or YC and also create the images for the summary. There is no way to do that with one click.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-05-31 6:02 PM (#87978 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

I thought of one thing I'd like to as about, since I don't save my working .las in the program directory and often work only in PE.

After I've done a SAVE AS of a .las and later return to PE and choose open, there is a 'recent' tab, but it's of little use because any. las that was not created in SE shows up.  Is there a way for the 'recent' tab actually record where the last .las was saved - whatever it's origin, so I do not have to dig through 5-6 trees of directories to find it? It would be really nice if that could happen.
Shel

sewsally
Posted 2014-05-31 9:03 PM (#87981 - in reply to #87970)

Elite Veteran

thistles - 2014-05-31 10:33 AM If you hit the right arrow key, the highlight disappears and you can add to the original name.

Thank you so much. This really does work.

Just us the arrow keys on your key board. Mine are near the number pad. 

sewsally
Posted 2014-06-02 11:47 AM (#88005 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

In the Style Editor -- could we have the style choices in alphabetical order after the first one or two?
Joyce F
Posted 2014-06-02 3:06 PM (#88006 - in reply to #87824)

Veteran

Don't know if this is possible, but would be nice - could we have folders in the style list, so as to be able to put skirts, pants, etc in folders?
Joyce
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-02 3:17 PM (#88007 - in reply to #88006)

Tech Support

Already that way. In open style, you can select the garment type you want to open.
StMike
Posted 2014-06-02 3:22 PM (#88008 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

In the charts screen, it is not clear how to set up and use the notes. The help files say a little about it but they don't go far enough. The section with the labels is not as useful as it could be because the text blocks are too limited in the number of characters they will take. Down below there is another open Notes box, but the use for that is not clear. If you put several notes in there, the computer gives you data truncated error messages, and the charts will not save reliably. Maybe just more explicit explanations as to how these things work would be enough. If there are data limitations for the blanks, then tell us just how much we can put in there before running into problems.
sewsally
Posted 2014-06-04 1:33 PM (#88033 - in reply to #87824)

Elite Veteran

Two piece sleeve.... please take another look at how it drafts especially for large bust cups.

My friend made a jacket and the sleeves curved to the back!! A wadder.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-04 2:52 PM (#88034 - in reply to #88033)

Tech Support

Not sure this is possible. Is it possible she select right side which flips the pattern.

Full info needs to be sent to support@wildginger,com. Summary and pattern.
cfonfold
Posted 2014-06-04 5:30 PM (#88035 - in reply to #87976)

Expert

Perhaps the color or position of the save icon could be changed?
It does get lost in the row.
And while I understand about the custom notes, I think StMike makes a good case.
Coopie

cfonfold
Posted 2014-06-04 11:09 PM (#88039 - in reply to #88033)

Expert

Sally have your friend check the hem width. If it is the correct width for the sleeve the sleeve will straighten it's self out. A moderate width for the average jacket sleeve is about 10". Give or take a bit. The two piece sleeve used to drive me nuts!
Coopie
Denidoo
Posted 2014-06-04 11:57 PM (#88040 - in reply to #88034)

New User

Hi Karen

Have been following all comments with great interest. I am not sure of your comment "Is it possible she select right side which flips the pattern". Do you mean that the back of the sleeve has been has been sewn into the front bodice?

Thanks
Denise (Sydney Australia)
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-05 8:26 AM (#88042 - in reply to #88040)

Tech Support

Might be. I did this once when I flipped a sleeve on the print screen and automatically assumed the left side was the back. Mine was a cap sleeve so didn't 't make much difference.

If in charts right is selected for the chart, the pattern flips.  Right sides are designed to be cut print side up on the wrong side of fabric.

StMike
Posted 2014-06-08 7:57 PM (#88071 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

I would fund it very helpful if one could draw a line of known dimensions in full screen view in settings as in PE. For example if I want to add a line exactly 2" long in PE, I start the line then enter 2 on the keyboard and then hit enter; the 2" line is drawn automatically. Not so in full screen view in settings. Could that be added? It would make measuring proportions in your draft patterns much faster and easier.

Edited by StMike 2014-06-08 8:00 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-06-08 8:56 PM (#88072 - in reply to #88071)

Administrator

StMike - 2014-06-08 6:57 PM

I would fund it very helpful if one could draw a line of known dimensions in full screen view in settings as in PE. For example if I want to add a line exactly 2" long in PE, I start the line then enter 2 on the keyboard and then hit enter; the 2" line is drawn automatically. Not so in full screen view in settings. Could that be added? It would make measuring proportions in your draft patterns much faster and easier.

Yes, this is something that can be added. Will put it on the list.
StMike
Posted 2014-06-08 10:12 PM (#88073 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Great! Thanks, Lisa!
JustJane
Posted 2014-08-05 4:49 PM (#88409 - in reply to #87824)

I intended to write on this thread some time ago but never quite got round to it.
I really appreciate the patternmaster software and the possibilities it has given me to create my own patterns. I have been making my own clothes by hand since I was at school but have no formal dressmaking training or artistic skills. This software has encouraged me to look at clothes in shops and to try and work out how they could be constructed in patternmaster. Like many people I imagine I am always keen to get on with a new project and don't always take the time to read all the instructions. Patternmaster is a large and complex program with the main program, pattern editor, forum, wiki, videos and help files and since I do not use it daily I cannot always remember which area to look for help on a particular issue even though I may have seen it somewhere before. Here are a few things I have found frustrating or suggestions that I think would help users (hopefully not too late for consideration for V6 which I am looking forward to). I apologize for the length of this post.
1. In the style editor would it be possible to add help to each of the selection boxes eg Style, Front neck, Back neck etc - by a small ? button in the selection title box that appeared when you clicked on it or rolled over it - it could display the relevant info from the pdf file for that setting such as what the selection does and when it should be used.
2. Would it be possible to describe all the collar and sleeve styles in the relevant wikis for collars and sleeves. There are some in the style lists eg Italian collar that always appear greyed out so I have no idea what they are or when they could be used. If they only work with a specific style it would also be helpful to have that noted in the wiki. The tab collar style is another one that I only ever find by accident.
3. Under the help menu would it be possible to have a full A-Z help index which for example if you were looking for help on collars you would find collars listed under C and under that would be links to relevant parts of settings guide, program guide, wiki etc.
4. I often find it frustrating when I select a style and that certain options appear greyed out for no apparent reason - for example in yoked the dress shirt style does not allow a fitted sideseam or princess styling and I do not see another way of creating an over the shoulder yoke which would allow me to use these features.
5. I initially had some problems with getting a suitable amount of ease. For example I assumed that adding integrated pockets in trousers would add sufficient ease to the trousers themselves so the pocket could be used but this was not the case. It also took me a while to work out that to add ease to a sleeve I needed to reduce the cap height since elbow circumference is always greyed out. I then wasn’t sure if I should also increase the armhole depth.
6. Another area where I also experienced some issues was with leg and arm length. I assumed that if I entered my correct arm and leg lengths the default lengths for ¾ sleeves or shorts would be altered proportionally but this did not seem to be the case and my ¾ sleeves were almost full length.
7. There are some additional features I would find useful. These include a 2 piece sleeve where the seams matched with the panel styleline darts on a blouse, the option to add pintucks to a pattern, the option to use the jewelled vee neckline with more styles, the option to do a tab front opening with a collar band.
8. I myself have not really got to grips with the pattern editor part of the software as I found it difficult to manipulate on a small laptop screen without a mouse. I use it mostly for grouping pattern pieces when I am trying to combine 2 styles and delete some of the pieces I don’t need.
Thank you for taking the time to try and find out how we think the software could be approved.
Jane
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-06 7:18 AM (#88414 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

6 - Remember sleeve lengths in settings are underarm length. This allows different style, puff for example that has an extended cap to maintain length.

The defaults are there for your use. You need to set the length you want for each different length option.

There has to be a default number that comes with the program, but there are just there for you to change to your personal choices.

8 - PE is much easier with a mouse. For a laptop check out a trackball mouse. I have been testing the new touch screen for V6, but still love the Marble Mouse. It can just rest on my lap if sitting in a chair.

(Trackball mouse.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Trackball mouse.jpg (6KB - 1 downloads)
GeeJay
Posted 2014-08-08 5:52 PM (#88430 - in reply to #87824)

When I see the planned upgrade V6 on the horizon I greet it with mixed emotions. I hit the panic button worrying that I will not be able to make the transition. I don't need more complications in my life! I have been using Pattern Master for many years but still live with the same problems with printing. A few months ago you asked for our comments and I was not able to respond but today I will.

I always have difficulty with getting the 3 things I want to print after drafting the pattern . I always want the pattern to print, of course....then I want the Summary and the Sewing Guide to print. I will get some of it but not always all three before "trouble" sets in. It seems that they have to be printed in some type of sequence and I am always "out of sequence" and then I try to return to where I was and can't do it.

Some days, like today, I have battled for a couple of hours, going back to read the instructions (which sound so simple) but I don't seem to be able to make them work. I drafted a pattern. When I tried to print it......no luck....why? I don't have the faintest idea. Then I went back and tried to print the "sewing guide".....nope....wouldn't print so now I don't have the pattern pieces. to work with. (I do, however, have a lovely summary) What comes up most recently when I tried again to print the pattern pieces is the Las pattern and that is not what I need. This has been a constant scenario for all the years I have owned the program. I love the patterns....when I can get them....and have made garments on which I receive many compliments. There is some glitch between the instructions and my brain. I would enjoy it so much if I could make it work, simply, every time. If anyone else has the same problem it might be one to look into when planning the next version. Maybe I am "One of a Kind"...Whoopee!!!

Thanks for listening.

GloriaJean Grevenstuk
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-08 6:12 PM (#88431 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

Would you like to set a time to do a meeting and I can watch you print on your system?

Write me at support@wildginger.com and we can set a time.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 2:10 PM (#88497 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Since we have to use % when we use Scale tool
we need a Scale Calculator to calculate these % directly in WG programs.
Most of us don't know how to calculate these Scale %, or we consider to difficult to start calculating Scale % and we avoid using this great tool.
Can we have a Scale Calculator for % included in PE?
And more, can this Scale Calculator be made to be closed only when the user decided -
( for ex. Tape Measure Calculator is Closed by the user and does not dissapear from the screen when selecting another tool )
Can these Scale % Calculator be added in v6?

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-22 2:12 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 4:49 PM (#88499 - in reply to #88497)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-22 1:10 PM

Since we have to use % when we use Scale tool we need a Scale Calculator to calculate these % directly in WG programs.
Most of us don't know how to calculate these Scale %, or we consider to difficult to start calculating Scale % and we avoid using this great tool.
Can we have a Scale Calculator for % included in PE?
And more, can this Scale Calculator be made to be closed only when the user decided -
( for ex. Tape Measure Calculator is Closed by the user and does not dissapear from the screen when selecting another tool )
Can these Scale % Calculator be added in v6?

I don't understand this one. What percentages are you trying to calculate? What is the problem you have calculating percentages? There is already a calculator in the program that can calculate percentages. Its under the Utilities menu and it does not close until you close it.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 5:10 PM (#88500 - in reply to #88499)

Extreme Veteran

Not quite the same as Cristina's use, but say I bring in a .jpg to trace in PE. Trace it all out and a control square which is meant to represent 3in. Now in PE that little square measures 28.815 in on a side, so now I need to figure out what percentage to reduce that square to 3 in. and consequentially, the rest of my pattern trace to it's correct size.

I'm math challenged so I've actually bookmarked a scale converter online that lets me input the numbers to figure out how much reduction is needed

Percentage Calculator

Yes, there's an equation, but I don't remember it 90% of the time so I just use the plug and play way.  * droops head in shame* < : )

Shel

Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 5:11 PM (#88501 - in reply to #88499)

Extreme Veteran

Lisa, ask other people if they find easy to calculate the % to be entered in Scale tool.

so either we need a Scale % calculator

or we need a new similar Scale tool in which we enter the length to increase
because a tailor knows precisely how much more he needs to increase a certain area of the pattern
which is much more easier then having to calculate % to enter in Scale tool.

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-22 5:26 PM
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-22 5:35 PM (#88502 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Shel,
in version 3 we could easily use a Percentage Calculator because PM3 was different
for example if we need to double an arc (on yy) we just entered 200% in Scale tool.
But in later versions the obvious % had its formula modified and it is not obvious any more.
If I remember - to double an arc now you enter 300% ( but what you do when you want to increase it 1.5 times, how do you calculate outside WG program? )

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 7:29 PM (#88503 - in reply to #88500)

Administrator

EasilyAmewsed - 2014-08-22 4:10 PM

Not quite the same as Cristina's use, but say I bring in a .jpg to trace in PE. Trace it all out and a control square which is meant to represent 3in. Now in PE that little square measures 28.815 in on a side, so now I need to figure out what percentage to reduce that square to 3 in. and consequentially, the rest of my pattern trace to it's correct size.

I'm math challenged so I've actually bookmarked a scale converter online that lets me input the numbers to figure out how much reduction is needed

Percentage Calculator

Yes, there's an equation, but I don't remember it 90% of the time so I just use the plug and play way.  * droops head in shame* < : )

Shel

Hi,

I have already created a tool for this in PE. Its called Calculate and Scale. You enter the length of one side of the original square and the length of the square after its been traced and the program will calculate the amount to scale for you.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 7:42 PM (#88504 - in reply to #88503)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa

I've never seen this, which menu is scale and calculate under? Haven't updated to July yet, if that matters at all.
Shel

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-22 8:11 PM (#88505 - in reply to #88504)

Administrator

EasilyAmewsed - 2014-08-22 6:42 PM

Hi Lisa

I've never seen this, which menu is scale and calculate under? Haven't updated to July yet, if that matters at all.
Shel

Sorry, I was not clear. Its been added to v6 not v5.
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-22 8:15 PM (#88506 - in reply to #88505)

Extreme Veteran

BOOYA! One less window to have open then, Lisa.  : )

Shel

JustJane
Posted 2014-08-23 3:42 AM (#88508 - in reply to #87824)

Can you fix in PM6 the option for yoked blouse so that you can select to have just a back yoke with shoulder princess seams back and front - the shoulder princess seams work if you have both front & back yoke selected and it is possible to select the option when you have just back yoke selected - it even shows it in the style drawing but the pattern pieces do not correspond. I would also like to be able to select a jewelled vee neckline for this style

(yokedblouse.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yokedblouse.JPG (31KB - 0 downloads)
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-23 8:23 AM (#88509 - in reply to #88508)

Administrator

JustJane - 2014-08-23 2:42 AM

Can you fix in PM6 the option for yoked blouse so that you can select to have just a back yoke with shoulder princess seams back and front - the shoulder princess seams work if you have both front & back yoke selected and it is possible to select the option when you have just back yoke selected - it even shows it in the style drawing but the pattern pieces do not correspond. I would also like to be able to select a jewelled vee neckline for this style

Yes, this has already been done. I have added several new yoked options.
Tall Karen
Posted 2014-08-23 11:19 AM (#88514 - in reply to #88509)

Extreme Veteran

Yay!! Can't wait for v6 and a new windows 8/9 computer!!!
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2014-08-23 1:52 PM (#88516 - in reply to #88509)

Extreme Veteran

One thing I'd like to see is if the straight across the shoulder back yoke is chosen, is to have the option to rotate that shoulder dart into it's seam and have that reflected in the shirt body. It would help back fit and it's one of things I think would be nice for men's shirts as well. I think Pam Erny explains it best:

Back Yoke and the fit of mens shirts- Pam Erny

Don't know if the current Tailor Made does this, maybe someone can verify that? I know it's not in PMB 5.
Shel

Cristina
Posted 2014-08-23 2:26 PM (#88517 - in reply to #88503)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

thanks for v6 Calculate and Scale. It looks like lots of us we'll go for shopping soon.
I'm not sure I understood well about the second box we should enter data:
"the length of the square after its been traced"
Did you mean that first we scale by hand
and after that we calculate % of how much we'd already scaled by hand?
Or
in the second box we enter How much more we need to increase with
so the total original+increase (displayed or not in a 3rd box )
will be used by the program to perform the scale automatically
so it's not the user trying to scale by hand repetedly until it gets a certain %.

So which one of these two should we enter in the second box?

Edited by Cristina 2014-08-23 2:27 PM
JustJane
Posted 2014-08-23 4:45 PM (#88518 - in reply to #88509)

Great thanks - looking forward to getting my hand on PMB6
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-25 12:56 PM (#88524 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

I have 2 questions about Calculate and Scale:
- When we enter data for the first length
do we have both options to Select and Type the value of the square side?
- When we enter data for second lenth
could we enter the difference we want to add or substract
( in Shel case [ 28" - 3" ]
so the tool will serve
to trace a jpg detail
and also to draft a WG pattern and to add a certain amount to the original square side?

Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-25 5:21 PM (#88525 - in reply to #88524)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-25 11:56 AM

Hi Lisa,

I have 2 questions about Calculate and Scale:
- When we enter data for the first length
do we have both options to Select and Type the value of the square side?
- When we enter data for second lenth
could we enter the difference we want to add or substract
( in Shel case [ 28" - 3" ]
so the tool will serve
to trace a jpg detail
and also to draft a WG pattern and to add a certain amount to the original square side?

I am not sure I understand your question but Calculate and Scale works as follows. You enter the length to scale from and the length to scale to and the program calculates the changes and scales the selected objects. You can enter whatever values you want for the from and to.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-25 10:20 PM (#88526 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you so much for this v6 tool.
Being very curious I wanted to know
Do we type the digits using the keyboard
or do we select the line and its length would appear automatically inside Scale From and Scale To?
Or both?
Once again thanks, Lisa.
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-25 11:06 PM (#88527 - in reply to #88526)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-25 9:20 PM

Thank you so much for this v6 tool.
Being very curious I wanted to know
Do we type the digits using the keyboard
or do we select the line and its length would appear automatically inside Scale From and Scale To?
Or both?
Once again thanks, Lisa.

You will need to measure the from and to lengths prior to invoking the tool since the objects to scale will have to be selected when you start the tool. Then you will type in the two lengths and press apply to complete the tool.
Cristina
Posted 2014-08-26 1:35 PM (#88535 - in reply to #88527)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Lisa,

Can I ask a question:
If I use an example

Calculate and Scale:
Length From: 7.375"
Length To: ( 7.375" + 0.675" )

- here I have to bring the Calculator on the screen to add these 2 numbers
Instead to bring the 2nd calculator on the screen could we have

Calculate and Scale:
Length From: 7.375"
Increase : 0.675"

- since the program may calculate the addition [ "Length To" = "Length From" + "Increase" ] in the background
so we don't have to bring on the screen the simple Calculator then type the result into Calculate and Scale

Lisa, could you design the second box for Increase/Decrease? Please

(I re-sent this msg after correcting a typing mistake which would've brought confusion for the Length used)
Edited by Cristina 2014-08-26 12:40 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-08-28 4:46 PM (#88541 - in reply to #88535)

Administrator

Cristina - 2014-08-26 12:35 PM

Hi Lisa,

Lisa, could you design the second box for Increase/Decrease? Please

Hi Cristina,

At this point, I am going to keep the tool as it is currently designed. It is simple to use and easy to understand and works as intended.
Cristina
Posted 2014-09-09 6:53 PM (#88579 - in reply to #88541)

Extreme Veteran

At least the text boxes should allow both operations:
typing numbers and selecting lines ( so the number appears automatically)
instead typing 4 numbers for just one scale operation.
We had these kind of text boxes in previous version 3 and 4 - in other tools
( I'm not sure about version 5 )
Jassnip
Posted 2014-10-19 2:01 PM (#88823 - in reply to #87824)

Hi Lisa,

I know I'm late in answering the question, but hopefully it will be helpful anyway. I have PMB5 and PMK.

My honest answer is both yes and no. I found that the program doesn't behave in ways I consider intuitive -- just like that problem I ran into the other day that you helped me with. There was nothing to suggest to me why I couldn't get to the default measurements from the charts. A tooltip when you mouse over the option would be helpful. I also don't find it intuitive how to move between the different sections of the program and in general they feel like separate programs(PMX, PE, yardage calculator) rather than a cohesive suite which I can move around in seamlessly. PMB6 may be better about this with it's new interface. I'm not sure if that's something you changed or not.

Another thing I find frustrating is that there is no ability to lock a design choice while switching through the styles. Say I'm looking to build a dress and I want a ruffle sleeve and a midriff waist, but I don't know what kind of base style I want. Every time I switch styles I have to go back and reset those choices. I realize that not all options work with all styles and that it would take quite a bit of programming to make this work.

Hmmm, what else would be more intuitive to me? Designing independent of a measurement chart. Seems to me one should be able to play with the design and save it and then assign a measurement chart to it in order to print out the pattern or take it into PE. That way the same style could be used for more than one person. Say you're making a series of bridesmaid dresses, as far as know you'd have to recreate the design for each person based on their measurement chart. If that is NOT the case, then I don't know how to do it (which is totally possible) but again we're talking ease of use and whether something is intuitive or not.

This last one is a perception thing--it's great that you and Karen offer such great support in helping a person get their fit garments right--but it doesn't make the program "feel" as useful if I have to have an expert help me make it work right. Does that make sense? The fitting guide goes a long way toward addressing this, but in program terms it would be better for the program to walk a user through the fitting process. When Karen sends back adjustments to make on the default settings, as I user I don't learn anything about pattern design or about fitting a body, which at least for me is one of the reasons I have the program. It would be better for the program to ask me to look critically at what doesn't fit right and then walk me through changing the setting myself. Yes, this would be a lot of programming, but the sense of pride and accomplishment of the user would highly increase their impression of the program.

Hope this helps you.

Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 2:47 PM (#88824 - in reply to #87824)

Tech Support

You may open a Saved Style in your style catalog in any measurement chart.

This wiki article may help with fit issues.

http://www.wildginger.com/wiki/articles/pictureyourfit.htm

familysewn
Posted 2014-10-19 3:34 PM (#88825 - in reply to #88824)

Veteran

Karen, after reviewing the wiki article, I think it would be helpful to give examples of what to check if a line is not level say a setting , measurement, ease amt. and also some cause and effects that might occur that we should look for if we try one of the suggestions. I am always confused about what to change if the hip line is not level ( especially in pants) what to look for if the whole hip line is not level or if either the front or back alone is not level. I can tell that a line is not level but I am not sure what to change or where to start. Barb
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 4:03 PM (#88826 - in reply to #88825)

Tech Support

The article talks about the measurements involved.

It can only be level front and back at the same time.  Level is all around the hip.  

Check pants fitting on the wiki. 

cfonfold
Posted 2014-10-19 4:33 PM (#88827 - in reply to #88823)

Expert

hi Jassnip,

re: Designing independent of a measurement card.

I have set up a chart---don't laugh now-- titled Play With. To be honest it uses my measurements with a normal height and weight.  If I'm  exploring design options etc. I use it. When saved it can be applied to any set of measurements. It's a great help when dealing with a group.  If I already have all the measurements I choose the card that will be the easiest to design for. The very first time I used this function I had only seen 1 of the girls and to be honest I had little faith in the process. This has to have been at least 10 years ago. I was astonished at the fits.

Coopie

Jassnip
Posted 2014-10-19 5:05 PM (#88829 - in reply to #87824)

Karen, Coopie:

Thank you both for responding. I really wasn't expecting one. I would like to reiterate that my observations aren't about whether or not the program will do something; I'm sure in most cases that it will. I was speaking strictly to Lisa's question on usability, ease of use and intuitiveness of the program(s). PMB is a fairly comprehensive program, it does a lot. As a user, I was just pointing out areas where I expect the program to do something and that something is not readily apparent.

Jass
thistles
Posted 2014-10-19 5:55 PM (#88831 - in reply to #88829)

Extreme Veteran

Re: Intuitiveness.  Not sure if this should start a new thread.  I'm enjoying V6 very much, but one thing I keep butting up against is that in the home screen the icons for charts, style catalog and Wild Styles are greyed out.  If I want to go there I have to uncollapse the menus on the left, which is more cumbersome.  It would be easier for me if the icons were active or if there was a setting to make the left hand menus stay expanded.  It would also be helpful to have an active upper icon for Design Styles and Pattern Editor.

Thanks! 

Edited by thistles 2014-10-19 6:04 PM
Lisa - Tech Support
Posted 2014-10-19 10:49 PM (#88832 - in reply to #88831)

Administrator

thistles - 2014-10-19 4:55 PM

Re: Intuitiveness.  Not sure if this should start a new thread.  I'm enjoying V6 very much, but one thing I keep butting up against is that in the home screen the icons for charts, style catalog and Wild Styles are greyed out.  If I want to go there I have to uncollapse the menus on the left, which is more cumbersome.  It would be easier for me if the icons were active or if there was a setting to make the left hand menus stay expanded.  It would also be helpful to have an active upper icon for Design Styles and Pattern Editor.

Thanks! 

This can all be done. Will add it to the first update.
thistles
Posted 2014-10-20 12:34 AM (#88833 - in reply to #88832)

Extreme Veteran

Wow!  Thanks a lot!
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-20 8:50 AM (#88835 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Love how quickly Lisa gets things done! I have so much I want to say about V6 running on my Mac. I'm SO HAPPY!!! However, I'm travelling right now and will write more when I can. WG is GREAT! Lisa is a GENIUS and Paul's not bad either<grin> and Karen is so fantastic. Get the idea? I am so thankful to them for this wonderful product that I have been using for 14 years now. Anyhow, got to hit the road. But I have much more to say!

HUgs, Brenda
Cristina
Posted 2014-10-20 10:49 AM (#88836 - in reply to #88823)

Extreme Veteran

re to Jassnip:
"When Karen sends back adjustments to make on the default settings, as I user I don't learn anything ...
it would be better for the program to ... walk me through changing the setting myself. "

Once you draw your own slopers, and sew the testing garments to check the fit
you should Merge these files with any new style you create
so you don't need advice for each and every time you open PM.

Cristina
Marilyn R in IL
Posted 2014-10-21 10:07 AM (#88856 - in reply to #88835)

Extreme Veteran

Are you saying that V.6 runs on a Mac as well as on a PC? Does it work with the Mac operating system, or do you still need to go through a Windows emulator like Bootcamp or Parallels?
Brenda
Posted 2014-10-21 10:11 AM (#88857 - in reply to #87824)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Marilyn,

You do have to go through a Windows emulator. I'm using VMFusion Ware, recommended by Lisa<smile>. It's been quite an journey but one I'm delighted I made. I am going to write about it now as a new thread.

HUgs
Brenda