Where are the MEN?
Tall Karen
Posted 2005-07-23 10:45 PM (#639)
Subject: Where are the MEN?

Extreme Veteran

I wanted to meet the MEN who sew and no one has posted!!!
I'll check back.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-23 11:15 PM (#648 - in reply to #639)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN?

Tall Karen - 2005-07-23 8:45 PMI wanted to meet the MEN who sew and no one has posted!!! I'll check back.....

Hi Karen, I'm here, just got a chance to check out the forum to see todays changes and saw your (cahllenge? :-) ) comment. I'm currently into quilting, not clothing sewing, but hope to change that soon!! Been sewing in it's many forms for 25 (omigosh 25?) years.

Frank
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-23 11:17 PM (#649 - in reply to #648)

BTW I can spell challenge, see? ;-)
sewingboi
Posted 2005-07-24 2:01 PM (#767 - in reply to #648)

I've had TM from V2, how it's changed, hardly recognizable as the same product, but still get the same outstanding customer service (thanks to Lisa, Paul, and the Karens)
Pam~OffTheCuff~
Posted 2005-07-25 5:10 AM (#940 - in reply to #639)

"Where are the MEN"

...a question I've often asked.....

Pam
lensew
Posted 2005-07-25 6:49 PM (#1134 - in reply to #940)

In answer to your query--Where are the men. Here's one answer, I'm sitting here quite befuddled by the new Forums. Being an old dog this is a new trick and I do miss the Patternmaster posts. Although there seemed to be very little regarding TailorMade issues, I was able to learn a lot on other sewing issues, i.e. inserting a zipper, etc.

I will definately miss your informative posts, at least I have your Blog to check into once in a while. Good luck with your medical issues. I start Radiology in two weeks.
Ceil Moore
Posted 2005-07-26 12:07 PM (#1258 - in reply to #1134)

Okay, I'm not a man, despite all the offers I get to enlarge my penis size. I do have Tailor Made, though, and got as far as making two really terrible shirt slopers for BF and a Friend. I really do want to make men's shirts, and Pam, you have been endless inspiration to me (on lots of topics, here and over on Sewzine.) Both BF Ian and Friend Fred have HOT bodies and will be great fun to dress! Ian will never wear anything that I make, I konw that my skills will never be high enough, but Fred has his first Real Job as a teacher and needs some button-up shirts. I'm thinking of using that nice rayon that Dharma sells prepared for dying, and he can pick his own wild colors. It will be soft enough to suit him, after 42 years of wearing Tshirts, and he will dig picking his own, albeit solid, colors.

Ceil
Kelly-AnneH
Posted 2005-07-26 12:21 PM (#1260 - in reply to #1258)

Hold it there, Ceil - if I can learn to make a shirt anyone can! Start with buttoned casual shirts and make some mistakes - you can do it! I still have a mental block when it comes to collars with stands, but Lovey wears the 1 shirt I finished EVERY Sunday and once a week for work. I'm almost finished the second, so now he'll be able to alternate. lol

This second one is going faster than the first, since I don't have to think my way through every single step. Once it's done I'm going to cut out several that will use the same colour of thread and get a production line going. I have enough books on CD from the library now to see me through several shirts. :o)

Frederick
Posted 2005-07-26 6:43 PM (#1342 - in reply to #639)

Hi, it's Fred, another of the "Men Who Sew".
While I've still been hanging around the List, I have checked out a few of the forums, as well. This is my first contribution.

I am in the process of adding two more guys to the ranks of men who sew. I have given free basic sewing lessons to two men from my office. Each made a skirt for his wife. This was their very first sewing experience and you would not believe how well their projects turned out. I will be posting pictures to the Albums soon. I'm also giving each of them a free copy of PMB. I expect you will find them signing in to this forum before long.

Have a godet,
Fred

Edited by Frederick 2005-07-26 6:45 PM
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2005-07-26 9:50 PM (#1374 - in reply to #1342)

Hi, Fred, welcome to the forum! I was wondering when you'd join us. 

Love your avatar! How did you do that? TIA

SewPatrick
Posted 2005-07-26 11:23 PM (#1385 - in reply to #639)

Hi, I own Tailor Made and live in Phoenix, AZ. I sew for myself and ocassionally do gifts of clothing, etc. for others. I sew my own vests, shirts, jackets, costumes and am working on a sloper for pants. I have enjoyed the PatternMasterChatter and am just wondering around here getting used to everything. I think this will be a great way to find just what we're looking for and calm my mail box down some .
Trish
Posted 2005-07-27 12:50 AM (#1391 - in reply to #1342)

Expert

Fred,

Love the animated GIF!  I wanted to do one of me 'drinking tea'....never got it done, though!  'At the sewing machine' is a much better idea...so "on topic"!

GJackson
Posted 2005-07-27 9:22 PM (#1541 - in reply to #1342)

Hey, You really are a man that sews. I could see you sewing the whole time I was reading your message. How did you do that? Gloria
Jane in KC
Posted 2005-07-27 10:41 PM (#1555 - in reply to #639)

Yes, please tell us how to post an animated avatar (I guess I want to know how to animate it in the first place).  Thanks.  Wow, I've learned a lot on this forum!
Sonja G
Posted 2005-07-30 2:02 PM (#2018 - in reply to #1258)

Ceil Moore - 2005-07-26 11:07 AM

Okay, I'm not a man, despite all the offers I get to enlarge my penis size.

Ceil

Oh, Ceil, I loud out loud at this . . . spelled it for emphasis . . .

Sonja
Willie Mae
Posted 2006-04-02 1:50 PM (#15605 - in reply to #1258)

Ceil, I am not a man either but since my name is Willie Mae people tend to not see the Mae and send me all of that garbage address to Mr. I know that this is late but I have not been up to checking out the forum until now. I love all of the threads that I have read so far.

Thanks to everyone!
Mariette Rose
Posted 2006-04-12 10:55 PM (#16070 - in reply to #639)

I just saw this post.

Arthur E Arfons, now in his 80's in Akron, Ohio sews. Some of you older people will know him as The Green Monster. Art had several race cars by the name Green Monster, as well as a boat. He held the Land Speed Record back in the 1960's and achieved speeds well over 600 miles per hour at the Bonneville Salt Flats. His boat also exceeded all speed records on Lake Mead.

He started sewing by making the parachutes he used in his race cars. When his daughter was born, after several sons, and she became a teenager, he started sewing for her. So, here's a man who has been sewing for many, many years. And one heck of a racer to boot!!!! And one note of interest---in 1967 or 1968, I can't remember exactly right now, Art crashed at Bonneville at 630 MPH and walked away from the crash. Of course, he walked to an ambulance but he walked none the less and left the hospital the next day, after a thorough check up!

Mariette
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 2:41 PM (#16787 - in reply to #639)

Well, here's another one, thoughI have been accused of being that ratty little dog that never let's go of the rope! lol.
I just got TM (that's tailor made, not transendental meditation ;) )and have run itno several issues many of which a woman named Karen is hunting down. SOme are problems some may well be I just don't know the program yet. But TM is evidently going to be "the rope" and I the little fiesty dog that pulls till I get it right.

SO if youre all ready for lots of question, I may post here or on the TM threads.
dave
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-04-30 2:45 PM (#16788 - in reply to #16787)

Welcome, Dave! We'll see what we can do to help you with your new program.

(A different Karen)
rowena___.
Posted 2006-04-30 2:57 PM (#16790 - in reply to #16788)

welcome dave!

go ahead and start posting questions, i bet we can help you with most of them.
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 4:44 PM (#16794 - in reply to #639)

Most "challenges" right now have to do with heretofor unknown restrictions to lengths (which WG said they will check on) some inability to choose different options that should be available(agin they said they are checking).
It seems most of the effort is put into the women's system-- and ladies you have LOTS of options the mens system doesn't but should. I don't want to say anything negative about the folks that run it as they DO say they will check it and get back so, that said, I found that many coat styles have restrictions on how long you can make them. Being tall and ergo one of the reasons I bought it was for "non" standard sizing I was disappointed when I found that a jacket couldn't be more than 38 inches long. that's barely to my knuckles let along the long coat I was thinking about.so Karen is checking it out and found a few glitches. In the meantime I will make a sloper as time permits and try it on.
Ideally in the future I want to make patterns that I can plug in the numbers, print and sell to clients. I may even be able to justify a wide format printer if it all works out.

Another question? is there a pattern/style exchange around? It maybe beneficial to everyone to see how other work, how their styles compare and yes, some of you have put up puctures of great stuff I would like to make for myself without re inventing the wheel.

djl
oldie
Posted 2006-04-30 4:55 PM (#16796 - in reply to #639)
Subject: RE: Where are the MEN? fyi

Just thought I should preface (in hindsight) what i do otherwise.
current toys include
sewing machine, embroidery machine, four knitting machines, two weaving looms, three spinning wheels, a laser engraver and I'm not afraid to use them

I am sure there's other stuff around, friends like to come to my house to "play with the toys" or watch the coton grow on my balcony.
I went to boston university where I was in the MFA program for technical theater -- which is fancy for "everything related to producing costumes and accessories" including flat patterning, draping, tailoring, millenery (i never spell that one right, but it's hats) etc. Best school, hard classes, but you learn far more than you realize when some odd tidbit resurfaces fifteen years later and someone goes "where did you learn THAT" LOL
I just want a program that let's me be as "star trekkie with a replicator lazy" as I can be. I sew for fun now not a living.I did work for quite a while in one of the top union costume shops in the film industry (we did babylon 5 some star trek, Dr. quinn and other stuff too long forgotten).
Ok, stop blowing my long ago horn, onward and upward.
dave
rowena___.
Posted 2006-04-30 5:04 PM (#16797 - in reply to #16794)

oldie - 2006-04-30 3:44 PM
I found that many coat styles have restrictions on how long you can make them. Being tall and ergo one of the reasons I bought it was for "non" standard sizing I was disappointed when I found that a jacket couldn't be more than 38 inches long. that's barely to my knuckles let along the long coat I was thinking about.so Karen is checking it out and found a few glitches.

i'm glad you are having karen check, because i can't duplicate this problem. i am able to draft a jacket/coat 45" long.

Ideally in the future I want to make original patterns that I can plug in the numbers, print and sell to clients. I may even be able to justify a wide format printer if it all works out.

i hate to break it to you, but selling the WG patterns is not allowed. you can sell patterns you draft yourself, using the CAD program, but not patterns from the drafter. for this purpose, you should invest in cameo, which is for drafting, grading, making markers, etc.

i have a plotter at work, but truthfully i use the desktop printer as much as the plotter because i'm usually just running off one pattern piece or two. i use the plotter for things like historical pieces.

edited here to add this: since you know how to do flat patterning, you should pop over to fashion design online, where lisa shanley and i teach how to do flat patterning using a CAD engine. it is MUCH different from paper patterning--the processes often go in different order, and some things are automated already within the pattern editor.

Another question? is there a pattern/style exchange around? It maybe beneficial to everyone to see how other work, how their styles compare and yes, some of you have put up puctures of great stuff I would like to make for myself without re inventing the wheel.

we don't have a formal pattern exchange, but generally when someone wants to know how something was created, all he/she has to do is ask and the person who created the pattern will usually respond generously.

oh, i wanted to mention that i am the costumer for the vanderbilt opera theatre, and my husband is the TD for the martha rivers ingram center for the performing arts. neither of us have degrees, but we have 45 years combined experience, so people hire us anyway.

there are a few other costumers on this board--look for "coopie", and "brenda" (she specializes in bras now but when we met she was a costumer), melissa who's username i have forgotten but her current avatar is a restoration costume. and the karen who is helping you with your program issues did ballet costumes, she and i met almost 12 years ago on a newsgroup for dance costumers.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2006-04-30 6:43 PM (#16806 - in reply to #639)

Tech Support

The length is something going on and off. I have put it on the fix list.
Brenda
Posted 2006-05-01 7:03 PM (#16824 - in reply to #16796)

Extreme Veteran

oldie - 2006-04-30 4:55 PM

II just want a program that let's me be as "star trekkie with a replicator lazy" as I can be. I sew for fun now not a living.I did work for quite a while in one of the top union costume shops in the film industry (we did babylon 5 some star trek, Dr. quinn and other stuff too long forgotten).
Ok, stop blowing my long ago horn, onward and upward.
dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to our group! I absolutely LOVED the costumes for Babylon 5, Star Trek and Dr.Quinn, not to mention the series themselves. Nice to know someone who helped create that magic.

I remember having the same issue with length of men's coats in TM a long time ago and passing it on to Lisa. I just went ahead and finished it by hand. It was a long ratty "housecoat" with a big fur collar for Fagin in Oliver. Since I haven't made anything long for my male actors in recent shows, I didn't realized the glitch was still there. I know it'll get fixed.

We just need more men sewing or more women sewing for their men to track down these things.

Although I do mostly bras now, I still do costumes every fall. This fall it's going to be a Christmas Carol, the Musical. Just got the notice for auditions to take place this month. I guess I'll be using TM this fall for sure with the period pieces. It would be really nice if the Historical Costume program were ready by then but I think I may be hoping for too much too soon.

HUgs
Brenda
oldie
Posted 2006-05-03 4:21 AM (#16864 - in reply to #16824)

well, except for the bust dart in dr quinn, which would not have happened then (hollywood license I guess) they were all fun to work on. The designer on B5 was one of those "That seam needs to be 1/8" to the other side" or some such little thing, but we did it for her because her eye was spot on. You would move the seam or dart and you would see "costume" become "clothing" and be just right.
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-05-05 9:50 AM (#16920 - in reply to #16797)

Extreme Veteran

rowena___. - 2006-04-30 5:04 PM  there are a few other costumers on this board--look for "coopie", and "brenda" (she specializes in bras now but when we met she was a costumer), melissa who's username i have forgotten but her current avatar is a restoration costume. and the karen who is helping you with your program issues did ballet costumes, she and i met almost 12 years ago on a newsgroup for dance costumers.

I thought I'd post so you can see the restoration costume that rowena is talking about.  I finally put it up on one of my dressforms in my sewing room for inspiration.  Have a late 18th century corset under it that I made in a week-long class at the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Onterio a couple of years ago.

Good luck with TM.  I just bought it a couple of months ago so I could make some stuff for my husband, but haven't even loaded it on my computer yet.    I love the Wild Ginger software and I'm sure that once the bugs are worked out, you will too.

oldie
Posted 2006-05-06 4:49 PM (#16956 - in reply to #16920)

I ha e a freind that works in theater out that way-- she teaches at place called wright university- or did last thing I knew. She was in charge of sets and design there. Don't know if she did any costume but was good at that too.
djl
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-05-06 9:16 PM (#16960 - in reply to #16956)

Extreme Veteran

Wright State University is here in Dayton.  I haven't done too much with them so far, but hope to in the future.  They do some good stuff.  I've done more with Sinclair Community College in Dayton - everything from costume construction to actually being on stage (in the costume I designed and constructed, of course!)
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-18 1:35 PM (#23466 - in reply to #639)

Regular

I guess I am one of them. Just acquired TM 3. Had TM 2 for a while and made a few shirts with it. I am quite large and find it hard to find clothes my size, so learn how to make them myself. Sewing is kind of like woodworking with power tools but without the noise and dust. I think I'll go back to lurking and seeing what else is there on this site.

Dennis
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-10-18 9:41 PM (#23488 - in reply to #23466)

Extreme Veteran

Good to "see" you, Dennis. Don't be a lurker, jump right in, the waters fine! Would love to see the shirts you made. I bought TM3, and now my DH has been bugging me to make him some stuff. Haven't gotten around to it but soon....
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-19 10:28 AM (#23499 - in reply to #23488)

Regular

Here are few of my sewn items.

(RedPatriotic.JPG)

(CherryShirt.JPG)

(Quilt_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RedPatriotic.JPG (87KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments CherryShirt.JPG (46KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments Quilt_small.jpg (99KB - 3 downloads)
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-10-19 11:06 AM (#23504 - in reply to #23499)

Very nice, Dennis! Thanks for sharing these with us. It looks as though you are having great success with your program.
Trish
Posted 2006-10-19 1:21 PM (#23510 - in reply to #23466)

Expert

Sewing is kind of like woodworking with power tools but without the noise and dust.

Yeah, a sewing machine IS a power tool!!!  While the angles may be easier to measure in woodworking, the 'materials' are easier to handle in sewing!

Those are nice shirts!  Welcome...

Frederick
Posted 2006-10-19 2:45 PM (#23515 - in reply to #23499)

Welcome, Dennis. It's always good to see more men joining in.
We have had a couple who posted once or twice, never to be seen again.
I hope you become a regular.
You make fine shirts.
Clearly you are a craftsman.

ChristineBrown
Posted 2006-10-19 3:06 PM (#23516 - in reply to #23499)

Dennis, you mentioned in your first post about not always finding things in your size, but I see from your patriotic shirt that we share another reason--the 'out there' stuff that I am willing to wear is not always available. Patriotic prints, wild colours, odd fabrics that suit my taste to a T are all opened up to me by WG patterns. (As I type in my purple hedgehog interlock turtleneck polo!) Christine
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-19 5:38 PM (#23521 - in reply to #23516)

Regular

I would like to make things that are not made of big men. Go into the big men's store and can only find office shirts and coats. I get involved in Renassiance type situations, not the fairs, but similar. Have a pattern for 18th century clothes. My job doesn't require me to wear office shirts/coats, but at least something. I had visited the Sense & Sensibility forum which is Renaissance & 18th/19th century clothing website. Just to be different. You might have noticed me wearing a Xmas outfit toward the left. Have uploaded some more pics in the Albums section. Now to find someone to take pics of me wearing clothing I have made. I am in the process of making a olive green office type shirt, a red Wisconsin shirt with white embroidered pocket.

Now to make shorts for my YMCA activities to become slim. Also a coat, both winter & office type. But I am only an amateur sewer. Plan to continue on taking sewing classes this January. Taking a zipper class this month on the 28th AM. That is it for now. I also make pillows and doll clothing (AG).

Dennis
cptmelissa
Posted 2006-10-20 9:47 AM (#23556 - in reply to #23499)

Extreme Veteran

I love the shirt with stars! That looks like something my DH would love. I have some "Hawaiian" material, he loves loud Hawaiian shirts. Ok, I think you may have just inspired me to plan his shirt as my next project!
Jumala
Posted 2006-10-23 12:57 PM (#23740 - in reply to #23515)

Regular

Thank you. I always think I may do so & so shirts. Find all kinds of little booboos such as the pocket corners not rounded. I do these for myself to wear. Many people are surprised to hear that I make these. Attended a class recently on couture? pockets. The lady instructor wanted to know whose hubby I was. She was shocked that I was there to learn and was nobodys hubby. The ladies learn to use table saws, chain saws and hanging doors. Men learn how to sew for themselves and the ladies. Even to quilt. An article appeared in the local paper about a male quilter. PBS featured couple of married ladies lumberjacking. Don't need much in the way of muscles to cut down trees with modern equipment. Now back to lurking.

Dennis
KarlO
Posted 2006-11-01 4:42 AM (#24104 - in reply to #639)

Hello, here's one more to add to the list. I'm horribly new. I took up sewing for something to do that appealed for various reasons, not the least of which is being rather particular about some of what I wear. Not out of fashion, but for practical reasons.

I'm the clever sort, very good and experienced at learning from books. I find doing this for sewing rather a challenge, but more due to having to wade through far too much about women's clothes to find what I need. Even with Tailor Made. WHY is it that "wasitband construction" is not gender specific, but MEN's waistband construction is? Why are they different, anyway? Why are instructions for women's garments included with Tailor Made at all?

Practice is imporiving my sewing. I'm not the world's best at keeping that going in a straight line, but I see serious improvement. I'm currently working on a pants sloper, and struggling with my lack of experience. I've never made trousers before. I've just done some rather simple elastic band pants and shorts, and some underwear (stuff that hides the not-too-straight stiches, doncha know). I do hope I can keep at this and manage to get good enough to make a suit and dress shirt I'd not be ashamed of.

I am very frustrated by my location. I'm currently living in South Africa. Worse, in a small city with limited shopping. Terms for things are different. That applies to fabrics, notions and machines, too. They never call it a 'serger', always an 'overlocker'. It isn't 'terry', it's simply 'toweling'. (The only reason that got sorted was someone overheard me that understood what terry was!). Books aren't always readily available, either. The library doesn't have much, and I prefer buying books anyway.

Long ago, when I was a teen, I learned sewing in the Navy. This was enough to make it easy for me to dive in, since I'd been taught some very basics for using a machine (which was also very basic). A little bit of things I just knew from having seen my mother and sister do them. And a few tricks I learned because I used to do computer and accounting work in the garment industry, in NYC and LA.

Right now I'm sewing with an older Kenmore sewing machine and a new Brother serger. The serger was chosen purely for price, and not being the local ultra-cheap brand which has a horrible reputation. If I continue sewing I'll replace/enhance it with something more versatile (cover stitch, please!).
Susan in Miami
Posted 2006-11-01 6:55 AM (#24106 - in reply to #24104)

Expert

KarlO,

Welcome and good luck! You are very brave to dive in like this.

Susan, across the world in Miami, Florida, USA (isn't the internet wonderful?)

Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-11-01 7:53 AM (#24108 - in reply to #24104)

Hi, Karl! Nice to see another fellow here. I know that somewhere between 5 and 15% of sewists are male, but they seem to be underground, so to speak.

You might want to look for some good books that focus on Tailoring, which is how most mens' clothing is constructed. David Coffin has a great book on Shirtmaking, published by Threads/Taunton Press, and he now has an excellent book on CD on making pants. Here's a link to the Pants CD: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/booksandcds.pl?author=David...

And to the Shirtmaking book (and excellent companion video): http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070156.asp
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/060083.asp

Here's a site by a guy who sews: http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/

Judy Barlup has excellent booklets and video on tailoring, including pants with menswear techniques: http://www.uniquetechniques.com/Products/shopbooks/shopbooks.html

And finally, Kenneth King has an excellent book on CD on the Trouser Draft, which includes detailed sewing instruction:

http://kennethdking.com/httpwww.kennethdking.combook3.html#trouser

Since you are one who can learn from books, this list ought to help you out a lot. Good luck!
Jumala
Posted 2006-11-01 1:31 PM (#24123 - in reply to #24104)

Regular

I agree with Karl as far as the garment construction instructions go. Why do we men need to know how to assemble a bra?

Dennis
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-01 1:55 PM (#24124 - in reply to #24123)

Indeed - most men I know are only interested in disassembling them!

Sorry, I tried to behave, I just couldn't...

Ceil
ChristineBrown
Posted 2006-11-01 2:21 PM (#24125 - in reply to #24123)

Well guys, most women who have Boutique don't need those instructions either! Lisa seems to have wound all the instructions she has from every program and bundles them into one. While a Curves person will never need some of the instructions from Celebrations and a TailorMade person might never need some of the Curves, it's kind of a nice way to get some free instruction just for the knowing of it. I also use TM and I do wish there were some more specific men's type instruction with it, but as other capable readers have pointed out, I do go afield to get my instructions. I have a couple of the resources mentioned by Karen, but will be seeking out others of them as you can never get too many books (and now CDs/DVDs come in that category too!) C.
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-01 2:33 PM (#24126 - in reply to #639)

As long as I'm chiming in, I might as well say something useful, I guess...

The Coffin Shirtmaking book is all over half.com for under 15.00. I didn't find the companion video there, however. I have it and it is very helpful to watch him do things like sleeve plackets and collar bands. His illustrations are okay, but not great, so the video is really nice to have.

Ceil
Beth in Wichita
Posted 2006-11-01 3:13 PM (#24127 - in reply to #24104)

Elite Veteran

Good to have you here.  You never know when the extra info in the instructions might come in handy. True, the chances you'll make a bra (at least for yourself) are slim to none.  On the other hand, I learned to put a fly zipper in my pants many moons ago when my mom was in the midst of a double knit men's pants marathon. (That marathon included teaching my very tall, very skinny brother to sew his own.) The men's instructions were fantastic. I'm glad she had them.

As to waistbands - yes there are a couple of differences. Women's waistbands are sewn all in one piece. Men's are sewn to each half of the garment before the center back seam is sewn.  This has the wonderful effect of making them easy to alter. 

It's too bad you have to deal with the language "ifference".  Don't hesitate to ask.  We may not be in South Africa, but we can do a lot with the internet & photos.

Like the Disney ride says, "It's a small world after all!"

Beth
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-11-01 4:33 PM (#24132 - in reply to #24126)

The video for Shirtmaking, the year it came out, was awarded #1 in ALL videos that year, not just sewing-related ones. It's really well done, and you get the added benefit of hearing David's very calm voice giving you step-by-step instructions.
Frederick
Posted 2006-11-02 12:54 PM (#24151 - in reply to #24104)

KarlO,

Welcome. When I made my one and only Tailor Made pant sloper, I turned to the Reader's Digest "New Complete Guide to Sewing" for assembly instructions. It's my favorite basic sewing book. It has great illustrations and instructions for every kind of zipper except fly front. Being in a rush, and realizing it was only a sloper, I opted to use a center zipper like the ones I had set in to several skirts. Everything went well until I tried the garment on, only to discover that the hook closure was on the wrong side. I began searching through my sewing library and discovered that David Coffin's book was the only one in my collection with instructions for menswear.

I have a male visitor to my Blog ( sewmanlyblog.com ) who has been after me to provide sewing instructions for men who sew for themselves. If only producing instructional material for sewing were my full time occupation. Unfortunately, I have a real job, which really interferes with my free time ;-)

Regarding your sewing skills, I had great success with this approach. I would buy enough fabric to have plenty of scrap. I would practice any stitch I had never done before, until I got it just right. Only then would I attempt the stitch on the project. This was particularly helpful when working with fabrics I found difficult to control.

Stick with it, KarlO. It will be worth it in the end.
rowena___.
Posted 2006-11-02 1:05 PM (#24152 - in reply to #24151)

Frederick - 2006-11-02 11:54 AM
I have a male visitor to my Blog ( sewmanlyblog.com ) who has been after me to provide sewing instructions for men who sew for themselves.

i don't understand this request--sewing is sewing, it isn't different for men than for women. you still have to understand seams, grainline, closures, interfacings, etc. the only difference is application.
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-02 1:27 PM (#24155 - in reply to #639)

I agree, Rowena, but I also understand that they want something that speaks to their uniqueness. I recently saw a magazine called "Woodworking for Women" and I thought, after you've told them to keep their hair and their sleeves out of the machines, what else is different? I used to subscribe to a magazine about women in business, and found that it was really just sort of a basic business magazine. The flavor of the writing was toward women, but all the articles were very universal: dealing with your boss, how to buy office equipment, juggling business and family. These guys just need to be willing to ignore instructions about bust darts until there is a "Sewing for Men" magazine!

I've been offline for a while; Ella sure is getting big and she sure is cute!

Ceil
Trish
Posted 2006-11-02 2:53 PM (#24158 - in reply to #24155)

Expert

I recently saw a magazine called "Woodworking for Women" and I thought, after you've told them to keep their hair and their sleeves out of the machines, what else is different?

LOL!  Well, as a woman who does woodworking (occasionally) I can tell you there is a big difference in the brute strength of a man and a woman!  Because of that, I have to use more 'stands' to support the wood, as I am not able to adequately hold and guide the large, heavy stuff like my husband can.  I suspect this magazine would give tips and suggestions for this type of compensation.

I once got a 'driller's elbow' injury, because the cordless drill I use is really a bit too heavy for me. 

Also, my hand is smaller than most men, so gripping these power tools can be challenging!   Power tools with smaller hand grips would be great...they are probably available, but I make do with what we have!  But I bet that magazine is full of advertisements for smaller, 'ergonomically correct' tools for women!

I don't usually have a problem with my hair getting in the way, though!

But getting back to the topic of sewing...I can totally see how a men's patternmaking program should include instructions specific to the way men's clothing are constructed! 

jadney
Posted 2006-11-02 4:12 PM (#24160 - in reply to #639)

Veteran

I am also a sewer that does some woodworking. I have found one problem that my Dad does not have when he is woodworking, is wood shavings that end up in my bra.
I take the Wood Working for Women magazine. It is intresting and they have a little more detailed instructions about what to do and how to do it. Also nice diagrams which I find helpful. It has more crafty sort of things than some of the other woodworking magazines.
I agree, it would be nice to have instructions that match the program. But I also know documentation is very hard to keep up with.
Jane
LI-teacher
Posted 2006-11-02 8:58 PM (#24176 - in reply to #639)

Be thankful it was only wood. My daughter learned to use the milling machine while on our school's robotics team. She was cutting aluminum and wearing a zip-front top which should have been zipped up a bit higher. Some hot metal found its way to a pace it really didn't belong!
KarlO
Posted 2006-11-03 1:35 AM (#24181 - in reply to #639)

Rowena: Surely you are being a bit disingenuous. You must be aware, as little examples, that zippers and buttons (in America, anyway) are reversed? The case in point was about the waistband construction. Beth pointed out the philosophical difference, that men's clothing is more durable, and made easier to alter. (perhaps because so many men hate shopping for new clothes).

About those zippers: In Europe (and South Africa) the men's coat zippers are reversed from American. After a life time of doing it American-style, it is amazing how fumbling it is to do it the other way. I'm glad the buttons aren't reversed, I prefer button shirts to anything pullover.

As for the construction guides, it's not so much that the women's stuff is included, it's that one has to wade through it to find what you need, and most especially, when men's stuff is identified as such, but not the women's stuff, and only by finding the one labled 'mens' can one discover that the one without a label is not for general use. When it comes to books, how's a guy supposed to feel when 4/5ths of a book is about skirts and blouses, and how to shape around the female body? Or that nearly every 'how to sew' instruction seems to want to start with a skirt?!

Let's just be perfectly frank: It's sexism. We're all taught these days to avoid sexism when it comes to being male-centric. But the reverse is seldom discussed. I'm not saying it is deliberate or malicious. Life's taught me that most people mean well. But is often simply due to lack of forethought.

In sewing/fashion, it doesn't help one bit that women have far more demanding wardrobe needs (some of them about anatomy, some socieital). It's clear that women have more curves around which to tailor, and society places more value on a woman's appearence than a man's. But all that doesn't do much to help a guy that is out to learn to sew clothes for himself.

Karen: Thanks very much for the list of books/CDs, especially for taking the trouble to provide links. I'm carefully considering which to order (only to fight my native impulse to buy everything I hear about!). I have to make sure the sellers are prepared to ship overseas, too. It tends to take up to 2 months to get stuff from the States, and nearly always there's import taxes (which are only a pain because that means I have to pick stuff up at the postoffice, so I either have to have fair weather for my scooter, or wait and go Saturday morning). Some delays are due to customs inspectors taking their time. Faster deliveries end up costing far too much on international shipping.

rowena___.
Posted 2006-11-03 7:41 AM (#24182 - in reply to #24181)

KarlO - 2006-11-03 12:35 AM

Rowena: Surely you are being a bit disingenuous.

not at all. once you know how to put in a zipper, you can put it in anything, you can put it in left or right, you can put it in upside down if you wish.

i teach this every day, from patternmaking to construction, my students learn how to do the various operations and then they use them as needed. we build everything from biblical robes, to 16th century doublets (our current project), to depression-era suits. it is a natural progression of learning and it all applies for men, women, children, home dec, and toy making. trying to segregate it according to sex just makes for redundant learning.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2006-11-03 8:12 AM (#24183 - in reply to #639)

Tech Support

Here is a link for sewing instructions for men's pants.

http://www.independentliving.org/fashionfreaks/mpants.html
Karen Maslowski
Posted 2006-11-03 9:29 AM (#24185 - in reply to #24181)

Karl, the reason that most fitting books focus on fitting womens' bodies is because women are almost endlessly variant in their shapes. As Kenneth King says, mens' bodies come in "three shapes", but women come in a tremendous variety of curves and possibilities.

Think about it; just the differences in the different kinds and combinations of busts can make a tremendous difference in how a garment is shaped for fitting. In fact, if you read the posts on this forum alone, you will see many. many posts regarding how to fit the bust/shoulder/back area, and that's because of the variety of possibilities in that area. The hips/waist/tummy/rear area is almost as variable, and even more complicated because of the issue of having the additional dimension of going through the legs and around them. Mens' clothing is very straightforward, by comparison. Even in ready-to-wear clothing, sizes are extremely simple, compared to womens'.

My suggestion is to embrace all the information you can find. It will make you even more competent as a fitter, and will give you a deeper understanding of how patterndrafting works for your own body.
Karen - Tech Support
Posted 2006-11-03 9:35 AM (#24186 - in reply to #639)

Tech Support

Here is another link for on line constuction info.

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/3368.htm
Fabricarts
Posted 2006-11-03 9:43 AM (#24187 - in reply to #24186)

Veteran

I'll add another sewing techniques site to the two excellent resources Karen gave: http://www.isew.co.uk/sewing-p-00007.htm

Miriam
Ceil Moore
Posted 2006-11-03 9:49 AM (#24188 - in reply to #24176)

Sawdust, hot shavings and HAY! I did a ranch vacation last month, and every morning after feeding the horses I had to dig alfalfa out of my boobular groove (that's the anatomical term.)

Karen, wonderful description of why women are so much harder to fit. I can hardly conceive of buying clothes by mail order, except an elastic waist skirt maybe.

Trish, I have recently dug out your "driving room" directions, and I think that last weekend I came up with a shirt test that I will be able to wear happily. I have a roundish back, so I need the driving room even when I am standing still. For my ranch vacation, I went to the local boot store to get a long-sleeve cotton shirt. All the women's stuff was all sequined up, and the men's stuff was huge. I ended up with a Wrangler Boys' XL, a $14 poly-cotton plaid horror with serged seams, and it fit like a *champ*. I have quite the womanly figure (130#, 36C), so this was beyond exasperating. I became determined to get to the bottom of why my shirt drafts don't work, and I think (so far) that I have. Now I've got Coffin's book out again to remember how to do shirts.

Head 'em up, move 'em out in Athens
pamelac858
Posted 2006-11-09 12:55 AM (#24378 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

I LOVE the fact that men are joining us in our craft!

It's so gratifying to take 'nothing' and create 'something', simply for the creative thrill.

Welcome, and please post often!

Pam
Beverly A.
Posted 2006-11-09 8:07 PM (#24409 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Karl:
If you want a really good book on men's tailoring, dig around on the web for: Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Men's Wear by Roberto Cabrera/Patricia Flaherty Meyers. Fairchild Publications 1983 or 1984 edition.
That is the book we used in College level Men's Tailoring class. No women's clothing here (there is a separate women's tailoring book) I don't recall the price but being a used book it should be reasonable. I think the women's book came from Australia when I ordered it and even it got here quickly.
Beverly A.
Frederick
Posted 2006-11-11 1:55 PM (#24443 - in reply to #24185)

Karen M, I feel compelled to rebut your comment of 11/03/06 that "Even in ready-to-wear clothing, sizes (for men) are extremely simple, compared to womens'." It's all in fun, Luv.

To very loosely and, with apologies to the Bard, somewhat irreverently paraphrase The Merchant of Venice, Act 3, Scene I. Venice. A street. SHYLOCK, here follows my rebuttal:

SHULTZLOCK
I am a man. Hath not a man legs, hips, waist, chest, arms, neck? Clothed by the same fabrics, sewn by the same threads, subject to the same soiling, cleaned by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same knits and microfibers, as a woman is? If we are like you in the rest, save ease enough for crotch or breast, we still resemble you in that. If a woman be taller or shorter than the norm, could not a man posses the same variances? Are not some men bent or stooped? Do not some stand taller on one side, protrude in front, sit on mounds of stored indulgences? Are no men possessed of a waist exceeding hips or chest? Unless.. in that, the accumulation of flab upon the chest does beg foundation meant for breasts! But when it comes to trouser legs, where differences of form betwixt man and woman demand our due in extra ease of wear, do we not still require our seams to go between our legs and then around our derriere?
Trish
Posted 2006-11-11 3:17 PM (#24447 - in reply to #24443)

Expert

LOL!  Suitable for framing!!!  Well said!

And, Oh Man! can I empathize!  We have recently been shopping for a suit for my DS (age 22).  What a nightmare it can be, fitting an athletic body!  Yes, there are shorts and talls and regulars; athletic and portly and just generally...weird! 

And then they start trying to 'alter' a RTW suit to fit...  I learned that taking in the pants back seam creates a 'genital wedgie' when sitting.  It can also make the back pockets way too close together!  (I knew that wouldn't work!)

Oh, yeah...I can definitely see that advantages of 'made to measure'!  Even for men...

kaybeesewing
Posted 2006-11-11 3:19 PM (#24448 - in reply to #24443)

Wonderful sense of humor. " You done the bard proud"!
Enter
Fashions by Joellyn
Posted 2006-11-11 4:26 PM (#24450 - in reply to #24448)

Fred, that is a priceless reply--very clever, indeed. I laughed out loud!
dotmoll
Posted 2007-06-26 6:47 AM (#31715 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Interesting topic, and thanks to the people who have taken the time to explain their concerns. It makes interesting reading for me, since I married into a family of MEN MEN MEN MEN. And as predicted by all my in-laws I didn't get any daughters out of the deal!

My sons have both sewn themselves more than one pair of pull-on PJ pants, and they can do very, very basic handsewing too - whether they take their skills beyond that is up to them.

I think the skills and styles involved are pretty different - my late mother in law was a tailor and sewed my husband's first suit, but she was not confident in sewing soft, draped blouses at all.

I would teach my sons flat-fell seams, but maybe not rolled hems - because reinforced seams look good on young men, as well as being strong and easy to care for. They may or may not want to make shirts with unusual yokes, but any man who sews would surely welcome more discussion of issues such as pants that look good on deskworkers, and shirts that you can play a fiddle in or swing a bat in. Sewing heavy fabrics, reinforcing pocket corners - these are things that never interested me when I was sewing for myself, so why should guys wade through pages and pages on lingerie fabrics and techniques?

A wider variety of menswear styles is the BIG attraction of patternmaking software for me - I can't understand why so many paper pattern catalogs show only a business shirt and straightleg two-tuck pants - of all things, why would I sew what's already cheap and available? Gimme aprons that are easy to put on and have bellows pockets, gimme shirts guys can move in and vests that don't look twee, gimme stuff that is comfortable and looks good on stooped, arthritic old men, gimme half-pants for summer and heavy, lined pants for winter! Gimme sports bags, cycling backpacks, and gig bags!

Whew!
MojitoBill
Posted 2008-03-18 1:27 PM (#41092 - in reply to #639)

Well I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself. Hi. My name is Bill and I sew . I mainly sew my Floribbean shirts (like Hawaiian, but since I live in FLA and ma closer to the Caribbean, I call them Floribbean). My avatar pic is of my wife and I last Feb. at our wedding. As you can see, it was a tropical theme. Just don't understand people getting married on a beach in a tux. Weird. Anyway, I made the shirts for all of the guys, the dress for the maid of honor and her brides maid.

I got started because I am big & tall. Not one or the other. I am 6'4" and too big, but I am working on that. Or should I say working out to get rid of that. I customized the pattern I bought so the shirt would fit me a little better and have a slightly more tailored look to it. Mine are all XXL across the shoulders and at the bottom of the sleeve, I use a straight taper from XXL to XL.

Wow. That's an introduction alright. Can you say T.M.I?
Michellyn
Posted 2008-03-18 1:49 PM (#41094 - in reply to #41092)

Welcome, Bill!  Wow, sewing all those shirts and dresses for your wedding is impressive. 
Leighanna
Posted 2008-03-18 3:32 PM (#41100 - in reply to #41092)

Extreme Veteran

If you haven't already, please post pics in your album. We would all love to see your work.
MojitoBill
Posted 2008-03-18 6:24 PM (#41116 - in reply to #41100)

Leighanna - 2008-03-18 4:32 PM

If you haven't already, please post pics in your album. We would all love to see your work.

Hi Leighanna. I just posted two pictures to my album. I'll add more soon.
MojitoBill
Posted 2008-03-18 7:01 PM (#41119 - in reply to #41116)

Make that three pics in the album.
Jumala
Posted 2008-03-24 12:32 PM (#41271 - in reply to #41092)

Regular

Hi Bill,

I am 6'1"" tall, have a XL shoulder and a XXXL belly/waist. I may join the Y soon and work out to lose some of the belly!

Dennis
Lisanne
Posted 2008-03-26 6:24 AM (#41331 - in reply to #639)

Dotmoll - the Biig 4 are poor on men's patterns, but Kwik Sew have a lot, and there are a few casual ones at Jalie.
dotmoll
Posted 2008-09-27 10:21 PM (#48439 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Talk of boys in high school sewing clubs reminds me...seems to me that the advent of computers and online learning makes sewing and design much more accessible to boys, especially those who've lost their way in conventional schooling.

I've been mulling the future of a local teen who is just one of many kids who has just run out on life over the past several years (heaven knows he has his reasons). He's got an eye for style though, and I think I might just introduce him to my sewing machine next time he's here.

Edited by dotmoll 2008-09-27 10:21 PM
LadyRuna
Posted 2009-07-30 11:05 AM (#56960 - in reply to #639)

Veteran

Guess who taught me how to use a sewing machine and draft basic patterns?

...my husband.

He hasn't sewn for years - mostly because he's gotten into other hobbies - but when he did sew, he knew how to make beautiful French seams, apply bias tape / trim, and draft basice pattern (he was in the SCA - http://www.sca.org - and was making mostly 10th -12th century medieval garb...)
Seamstro
Posted 2009-07-30 7:10 PM (#56972 - in reply to #639)

I love being behind the machine! it really is a time for me to just let loos and concentrate on the project at hand. I find it funny because people say when they watch me sew, its really intense. Like im in another world. It just me and the garment! I LOVE IT!!!!
rowena___.
Posted 2009-07-30 7:23 PM (#56973 - in reply to #56972)

behind the machine?  when i sew, i work in front of the machine. 

Seamstro
Posted 2009-08-07 12:54 AM (#57225 - in reply to #639)

Touche! Your funny!!!
LI-teacher
Posted 2009-08-07 6:47 AM (#57226 - in reply to #639)

I took my Bernina into school one day a couple of years ago - the junior high Lego Team needed patches sewn onto their competition T-shirts. The high school robotics team boys that were there were in AWE of my machine - they especially loved the USB port.

I'm going to put in for that sewing club again - we'll see if it flies this year.

Kim
muskrat_gngr
Posted 2009-09-20 10:14 AM (#58398 - in reply to #639)

Hello all, I'm a guy (30) and novice at sewing and have had a few forays into actually sewing my own clothing and have taken a semester (half year in high school) of basic sewing. I thought that I would introduce myself here as I have been lurking for about an hour now and I will probably be back to ask for advice. I don't have pictures of my first couple of attempts as I feel they went wrong at the last possible moment to warrant a picture. Anywho, I have recently acquired TailorMade (for men) and have been puttering around with the application to become familiar with it prior to trying any of the patterns therein.

One of my biggest down falls has been keeping track of right-side vs wrong-side. I inevitably end up with a garment with a front showing the right-side and back showing the wrong-side of the selected fabric. But I don't recognize this fact until after I'm 90% completed with the project. Any tips?

I'm currently finishing my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, so my time for the next couple of months will be limited. But one must do something else every once and a while to keep from burning out on research and writing. That's where sewing comes in for me.
Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-20 10:40 AM (#58401 - in reply to #58398)

Extreme Veteran

Try putting a round sticker on the right side of each fabic piece to keep track of which side is which.  The colored dots that they sell at office supply stores work great for this.
rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-20 10:47 AM (#58402 - in reply to #58398)

welcome muskrat gngr!  you are the second man to introduce himself today, that is a record!

tip for keeping right side and wrong side straight:  choose fabric that has obvious right and wrong side.  :D  or sometimes if i choose a fabric that isn't obvious, i will choose the side i like best and then put a piece of painter's tape on the wrong side.  that also gives you a place to write the name of the piece if you think it would be clear to you later.

have you made the fitting garments yet?  have you let karen check your chart to make sure it doesn't have any obvious faults?  that will go a long way toward getting a good fit.

also, post your pictures and ask some questions!  there is a very good chance that we can help you repair a garment gone wrong even after the fact.

ursula
Posted 2009-09-20 4:10 PM (#58411 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

One of the best ways for me to keep track of right and wrong sides is to use a piece of dried soap (those leftover pieces that are really too small for anything) You can mark away to your heart's content and the soap comes away with a good brushing. I use them for marking darts and notches etc.
Ursula
dotmoll
Posted 2009-09-20 8:24 PM (#58418 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

I agree, especially with menswear fabrics, you're not the only one to get the right and wrong sides mixed up.

It must have been world tailoring day yesterday... I spotted a guy at our local bookshop reading up on a sewing guide too!
Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-20 11:57 PM (#58423 - in reply to #58402)

Extreme Veteran

Ohh, I like the painters tape idea, I have a TON of that stuff lying around.
muskrat_gngr
Posted 2009-09-26 4:24 PM (#58605 - in reply to #58402)

First, let me thank everyone for the helpful tips on keeping track of the right and wrong side. I don't know why I didn't think of using a dot or painters tape. I've been using my 'disappearing ink' pen which doesn't last long enough to complete the project.

Next, No I haven't worked with fitted garments before now, just store-bought patterns. So, how do I have Karen look at the measurements chart? Specifically how do I export? Where is the info on where to post and/or send?
margie2
Posted 2009-09-26 8:15 PM (#58608 - in reply to #58605)

Elite Veteran

On the Welcome Screen of your program, click on Program Help. From there go to Customer Care. That brings up a screen that enables you to send information to Karen. At the bottom you will see several "buttons". Click on Charts, copy the chart you want to send and paste it on the opened page and then select "email". Follow the directions that pop up.
Cate - Gold Coast
Posted 2009-09-27 5:23 PM (#58621 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

"behind the sewing machine"  Sounds quite reasonable.  It has the same logic as "behind the steering wheel"  You're driving the machine!!
Seamstro
Posted 2009-09-29 12:58 AM (#58648 - in reply to #639)

Just dropping a line to all of the Pattern Master Family! I haven't Posted in a while and wanted to say hello! By the way, I have some great news! I bought a Serger today and had Massive fun using it. Also I Threaded it correctly ON THE FIRST TRY!!! I thought i might share here because my friends look at me like I'm speaking FRENCH when i speak about sewing! LOL You guys might appreciate that!
Fashions by Joellyn
Posted 2009-09-29 11:26 AM (#58656 - in reply to #58648)

You got your serger threaded correctly on the first try? CONGRATULATIONS! Glad to hear that you are enjoying using it. I don't know what I'd do without mine, as I use it all of the time!
Seamstro
Posted 2009-09-29 5:17 PM (#58659 - in reply to #639)

It was really exciting! Ill be sure to post my creations! Thanks again everyone for being here! This is the only place I can "Talk Sewing" and not be looked at like i have 6 heads! Thanks for being here!
cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-29 9:27 PM (#58666 - in reply to #58659)

Expert

Well don't look now Seamstro, but my shop is full of you 6 headed guys!  And I really think that threading the serger has to do with following instructions,---- and frankly----I firmly believe that  that is a guy thing!  I know, I know------most women complain about men skipping the instructions but experience leads me to believe that more men than women follow the directions. ( Maybe not when it comes to driving!)

I'll duck out now and hopefully avoid the the rotten tomatoe barrage! See you guys toward the end of October. We are in the midst of "The Three Musketeers"

I miss you all, but there are simply not enough hours in the day!

Coopie

Here_Fishey
Posted 2009-09-29 11:13 PM (#58673 - in reply to #58666)

Extreme Veteran

Coopie,

You may have something there on that threading thing.  I am lazy with mine, and make sure that I tie the thread ends together so that I don't have to re-thread the machine, and I have one of the sergers with the jet-air threading system!

rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-30 7:19 AM (#58680 - in reply to #639)

coopie, are your students mostly there voluntarily?  mine were mostly not, their shop hours are part of their opera performance curriculum.  i've had only one man come thru who happily sat at the machine, most of them treated them as if they had chainsaws attached.  only brian could thread a machine.

same at home.  rudi would rather cut my hair than try to thread one of my machines.  and he could stare at the manual all day and still not end up threading it.

cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-30 8:45 AM (#58682 - in reply to #58680)

Expert

My two guy assistants are here by choice. The others are part of the costume construction class. Required class on the freshman level. They all learn to stitch. And actually pretty well. Most men I find are willing to simply follow directions--- if they are sensible. I often write out the order of construction. The class tends to work on the simpler stuff. This show they will start by making period pants. Flat-lining correctly, some darts, front or back lacing, no zippers, a facing and plackets at some of the knees. And raglan sleeved shirts. But since there are a lot of these (it's a big show!) they are going to get very good at it. And relieve the faster stitchers for the more complicated stuff. Their labs run 2 hours twice a week so most will actually start and finish a garment.

Coopie

rowena___.
Posted 2009-09-30 9:05 AM (#58683 - in reply to #58682)

i'm designing and building the fall opera for vanderbilt--they hired me as a free-lancer for just this show--and the students have to do seven hours total for the run.  so for the month of october i have a lot of complete novices in the shop.

we're building fall front pants next week.  wheeeeeeeeee!  the singers are completely aghast at the idea that people actually WORE these pants--"fo reals?"  they thought i had made it up.

i usually only have one or two students who have any sewing experience, i have never had any who have patternmaking experience, so even if i write out the sewing sequence they still have to consult me after every step because most of them don't recognize the pieces of the garment or the seams.

cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-30 10:49 AM (#58684 - in reply to #58683)

Expert

Since the same group puts together the fitting muslins they at least have the right names of the pieces. And can usually recognize them. And a bit of ripper work usually gives them a heads up!

Thank God for PMT! I drafted doublet bodies and sleeves and pants----we will do all the flat pattern  at the table. It's faster and cleaner for this type of approach. We did front falls last Spring. Good luck!

Still It is a great deal of fun!

Coopie

Susan in Miami
Posted 2009-09-30 1:56 PM (#58687 - in reply to #58683)

Expert

Rowena,

What are front falls? I probably can guess correctly but would be happy to know for sure. I assume that the front of the pants are open for access and tied up to the waist for decency. <LOL>

Susan

cfonfold
Posted 2009-09-30 2:17 PM (#58688 - in reply to #58687)

Expert

Sailor pants are a good modern example.

Coopie

Susan in Miami
Posted 2009-09-30 2:40 PM (#58689 - in reply to #58688)

Expert

Hi Coopie,

Of course, I should have thought of that! I actually like sailor pants until I have to handle all those buttons QUICKLY.

Thanks for the reply, Susan

Seamstro
Posted 2009-10-03 8:20 PM (#58736 - in reply to #639)

I think that is going ot be my next project...A NICE PAIR of SAILOR PANTS!!!! How exciting would that be?! You guys truly keep me INSPIRED!
Jumala
Posted 2009-10-05 1:44 PM (#58754 - in reply to #639)

Regular

Here is the occasional man. Have been lazy the past few months. Gained 17 lbs from the 270 4 weeks ago when I had surgery. Perhaps the surgeon left some instruments behind?
Would like to put together 2 knit shirts, a baby quilt and a pillow before All Hallows Eve. Well, maybe.

Dennis
dotmoll
Posted 2009-10-05 4:46 PM (#58758 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Hi Jumala, I guess we could both do with a walk around the block before sewing time...how about doing one knit shirt and showing us how you do the neck? My DH has an October birthday...
Seamstro
Posted 2009-11-08 6:00 PM (#59456 - in reply to #639)

HELLO ALL!!! I have not been here in a while and want to know how everyone is doing!?!? Any new projects in the making?
rowena___.
Posted 2009-11-09 12:20 AM (#59462 - in reply to #59456)

Seamstro - 2009-11-08 4:00 PMHELLO ALL!!! I have not been here in a while and want to know how everyone is doing!?!? Any new projects in the making?

yes, there are projects going on all the time.  check the archives, people have been posting since you were here.

myself, i am completing an opera plot.

Seamstro
Posted 2009-11-16 7:05 PM (#59610 - in reply to #639)

My latest project: Im working on putting together a fashion show in the spring and were getting promotions together. Well, i found a nice fitting ladies trench coat and turned it into a dress for a promotional photoshoot were having this Saturday. I cant wait until the shoot is done so i can put pictures up! It looks great!
rowena___.
Posted 2009-11-16 8:30 PM (#59612 - in reply to #59610)

seamstro, you have to be one of the most enthusiastic new designers i've ever met.    i'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Jumala
Posted 2009-11-20 4:13 PM (#59661 - in reply to #639)

Regular

Made 1/2 of a baby quilt and 2 regular shirts since the last posting. Still need to put safety pins on one in place of buttons and put buttons on the other. Found a way to mount a Janome sliding buttonhole foot on my Bernina. The Bernina does not have any type of buttonhole foot for it, therefore, the jerry rigging. Us men do wierd stuff.

Dennis
Beverly A.
Posted 2009-11-21 6:24 PM (#59689 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Jumala: For the price of Bernina attachments, it pays to do "weird things". BTW there are adapter ankles so you can use different manufacturer's feet on Bernina machines.
Beverly A.

Edited by Beverly A. 2009-11-21 6:27 PM
Jumala
Posted 2009-11-23 4:51 PM (#59731 - in reply to #59689)

Regular

Hi, where does on find these "ankles" from. Just do a Google search? Have plenty of Janome feet here with the Huskystar, the Janome and the Bernina. Have a few Bernina feet including the pricey walking or plaid matching foot. The Bernina does nice button holes.

Dennis
Beverly A.
Posted 2009-11-23 5:03 PM (#59732 - in reply to #639)

Elite Veteran

Nancy's Notions, for one has it. It is called "Bernina Shank Adapter". Costs $15.00 + shipping. I imagine there are other places, too, and maybe even cheaper.
Beverly A.
margie2
Posted 2009-11-23 5:09 PM (#59733 - in reply to #59731)

Elite Veteran

For my Bernina, a 1630, there are two different ankles. Each has a different length and does make a difference depending upon what brand foot you want to adapt. I have both, so I have been able to use any brand foot I want. I don't know about other Berninas, but be sure you get the right one(s) for your model.
Susan in Miami
Posted 2009-11-23 7:18 PM (#59735 - in reply to #59731)

Expert

I needed to get an adaptor from Bernina before I could use the ankle. Check with your dealer or go to the Bernina site for information. There are chat groups for Bernina owners. I do not belong to one but if you Google Bernina chat groups, you should find what you are looking for.

Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all!

Susan

Jumala
Posted 2009-12-20 10:07 PM (#60152 - in reply to #59732)

Regular

Did get a low shank adaptor from the local Bernina dealer for <$10. Thanks for the info everybody.

Dennis
bowmanc
Posted 2014-03-08 7:39 PM (#87448 - in reply to #639)

I am a man who sews. I enjoy it and have learned to put together garments quickly. I used to make every garment I wore and am getting back into making all my clothes.

Carl
StMike
Posted 2014-03-08 8:50 PM (#87449 - in reply to #639)
Subject: Re: Where are the MEN?

Extreme Veteran

I try to keep at least one project on the front burner at all times unless I am away from home,which I have been for the past two weeks. Lately my focus has been on chinos and jeans for myself. I have purchased fabrics for three shirts. Those may be next. I also need shorts for summer. I used to sew a lot for other people, but that has stopped with the exception of one daughter who enjoys the knit tops I make for her. Everyone else just did not wear the things I made for them. So I decided that most people were just too picky and sewing garments for them was a waste of my time and money not to mention the aggravation. I am enjoying sewing for myself.
cfonfold
Posted 2014-03-08 9:39 PM (#87451 - in reply to #639)

Expert

I suspect that they are men of few words and much sewing. John Waynes of the forum!
StMike I find it hard to believe someone would not wear your work. Your work is really beautiful.
Coopie
margie2
Posted 2014-03-08 11:46 PM (#87452 - in reply to #87451)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Coopie, St. Mike. You could sew for me anytime.

Margie2
StMike
Posted 2014-03-10 12:03 AM (#87457 - in reply to #639)

Extreme Veteran

Hey, thanks Coopie and Margie2 for the nice comments. I appreciate those. Especially coming from experts such as yourselves.
barbara
Posted 2014-03-11 11:39 AM (#87469 - in reply to #87457)

I don't sew for my family either, they don't think it is cool to have something home made. even my mother would turn up her nose at my sewing. they would never wear anything I made, so I just concentrate on myself, and that is a full time job anyway.

when someone needs something repaired they are all over me. If my children want something repaired, I make them help. that way they can see how much work it is. Ds is getting pretty good with a seam ripper.

sometimes I just say no and don't feel a wit of guilt about it.
ByCats4Cats
Posted 2015-01-02 11:38 AM (#89313 - in reply to #639)

New User

Figure I may as well put myself in this thread. I have been producing custom mascot costumes via my business ByCats4Cats.com since 2009. in 2012 I took my business full time and now have three employees. I have a custom fit to my mascot costumes as they are made to fit one person, not a wide gamut of volunteers. Before obtaining this software over a year ago, I lacked the skill necessary to guarantee a perfect fit. Thank goodness I found Wild Ginger! I make 45-60 costumes a year and my work is found world wide. I'm hoping to become a bit more active on these forums because after taking 30 minutes to read thought some posts on here, I have learned quite a bit of tweaks. Away we go!
- Eric
Owner, ByCats4Cats.com

Edited by ByCats4Cats 2015-01-02 11:39 AM
EasilyAmewsed
Posted 2015-01-02 11:37 PM (#89317 - in reply to #89313)

Extreme Veteran

Curious. Did you use the software to help pattern the heads or mainly the body costumes?

Shel

ByCats4Cats
Posted 2015-01-03 6:53 AM (#89319 - in reply to #639)

New User

just the body sections. the heads have been in ongoing development since 2005. thats just something that has to be self learned and tweaked over time. No simple process nor tutorials for that.